You are here

Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Hi

Being fairly new to Logic It seems I've selected settings that i shouldn't have, which has resulted in having no MIDI sound output, amongst othere things not being correct, I've been hours at resolving the issue but no luck. When trying to factory reset from Logic Pro > preferences, there is no (Initialize all Except Key Commands) tab in the preferences

Therfore how else can i perform a factory reset to bring all back to defalt?

Thanks.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:which has resulted in having no MIDI sound output

"MIDI sound"?

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:How else can i perform a factory reset to bring all back to defalt?

Quit Logic, and trash your Logic preference files:
/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist
/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11135
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:53 am

desmond wrote:Quit Logic, and trash your Logic preference files:
/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist
/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Would that action be safe? Will all projects including Logics sample library be effected?

Could i not after backing up projects and the sample library, then perform a fresh install from Logics dmg file? Then transfer the back-up back in to Logic?
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:30 am

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Would that action be safe?

You wanted to remove changes that you had made. Those preference files are what saves your changes to Logic's settings.

When you start Logic for the first time, there are no preference files. Logic starts up with a default starting set of preferences, and saves that config as preference files.

If you have messed things up and don't know what they are or how to change them back, then removing those preference files has the same effect as before - Logic starts up with the same initial starting point, before you customised anything - which is, I believe what you are asking for.

I would never recommend any action that wasn't "safe", I'm telling you how to do what you want. You can always save copies of those preference files if you're not sure.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Will all projects including Logics sample library be effected?

Preferences are global preferences, they are not project-specific. "Project Settings" are project specific, and they will be whatever is saved in your project, but those are different things to global preferences, and won't be affected by removing your preference files.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Could i not after backing up projects and the sample library, then perform a fresh install from Logics dmg file? Then transfer the back-up back in to Logic?

All you would be doing is copying the app over itself, resulting in no change, so no, that is pointless. And in any case, that would leave your existing preferences intact so Logic would remain in the condition it is in now. If you've messed up Logic's content, then just delete it and redownload it from Apple - there are tool for this in Logic.

What I suggested is what I recommend you should do, unless you can be more specific as to the things you changed - and then you could just change them back again.

To be honest, you really should imo understand and know your way around both the preferences and the project settings because there are important things happening there - how to set your audio device and various Logic behaviours etc.

So, if you want to reset your global preferences, you now know the procedure, and what it does. If you've done something else you want help with, you'll need to be more specific as I have no idea what you might have done where...

Although I'm confused when you say "Logic's dmg file". Logic does not come in a DMG file, it comes from the AppStore, and the Logic Pro app will be directly placed in your Applications folder when it's downloaded. Where did this "DMG" file come from? Have you acquired Logic from somewhere other than the AppStore?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11135
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 am

desmond wrote:If you have messed things up and don't know what they are or how to change them back, then removing those preference files has the same effect as before - Logic starts up with the same initial starting point, before you customised anything - which is, I believe what you are asking for.

So the preference files you've suggested to remove would not only return Logics settings back to normal, but also reconfigure and return the preference files back to their default starting point? Which would be similar if not exactly the same as a factory reset?

I downloaded and installed Logic Pro X as a 3 month trial from the Apple app store, Logic itself downloaded relatively quick 1GB only, however the full sample library took 15 hours to install, apologies for the confusion, it was a disc image file, not a dmg file, which i think is the same thing?
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:49 am

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:So the preference files you've suggested to remove would not only return Logics settings back to normal, but also reconfigure and return the preference files back to their default starting point? Which would be similar if not exactly the same as a factory reset?

Yes. When you install Logic on a Mac that's never had it before, the Logic Pro.app gets placed in your Applications directory - that's it. There's nothing else installed.

When you *run* Logic for the first time, first it prompts your for some "essential content" downloads, which are a small set of instruments and loops, and it installs those. It configures itself with a default set of startup preferences, and writes those to the preference files, and then gives you the option to selectively download and install the bulk of the rest of the instrument/samples/library content.

So by removing the preferences, Logic will start up as before and create an initial set of default preferences again.

If you want to remove the library content, you can just delete it and use Logic to re-download whatever parts of it you want.

Just try it - it would have been quicker just to move the pref files to your desktop and try, than typing out this post. You can always put the prefs back again if you didn't like the outcome.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:I downloaded and installed Logic Pro X as a 3 month trial from the Apple app store, Logic itself downloaded relatively quick 1GB only, however the full sample library took 15 hours to install, apologies for the confusion, it was a disc image file, not a dmg file, which i think is the same thing?

Ok, you're talking about the Trial version of Logic, which is delivered by a different mechanic than the AppStore. I understand now, thanks.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11135
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Excellent, Logic Pro is all back to normal again,
Thanks for you continual support, you've been very helpful.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Logic Pro, Factory Reset ???

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:48 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Excellent, Logic Pro is all back to normal again,
Thanks for you continual support, you've been very helpful.

Great! You're welcome!
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11135
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio