You are here

Saffire MixControl 3.7 and Windows 10

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Saffire MixControl 3.7 and Windows 10

Postby suirthing » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi,

i have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, its working perfectly with a Mac Mini and Cubase 11. I just got a brand new windows 10 PC, fitted a PCIe Firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset, installed the latest Saffire MixControl 3.7 and i am getting the message " This version of Saffire MixControl is out of date with respect to the connected device. Continuing may make your Saffire inoperable, and the program will now close".

Funny thing is the FW Active light is ON on the Pro 40, and Cubase can see it and i can record and playback as normal. What i cant do is get audio to play back on outputs other than Stereo 1&2 - no matter which bus i choose it will only play back on 1&2.

I have also tried Saffire MixControl v3.4 with the same error.

Anyone else have this or similar problem?

dk
suirthing
Poster

Re: Saffire MixControl 3.7 and Windows 10

Postby dustin.newman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:21 pm

I am not an expert on this program, but that sounds like the MixControl 3.7 is not compatible with Windows 10. Did you try to get a higher version of that program? Do you know if your Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is compatible with higher versions?

In the case of negative, I guess that the best option you have is just selling that one, and try to get another one compatible with the MixControl 3.X compatible with your Windows 10.

Well, actually I have another alternative, which consists in install a previous windows version... but that is much more thought because it will require you to make a backup of everything you have currently on your computer, and also re-install all the other stuff you currently have...

Spam link to Amazon referal link site removed. Don't try it again. - Andy :beamup:
dustin.newman
Poster
The only common language is Music.

Always looking for the best Head Phones

Postby suirthing » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:31 pm

dustin.newman wrote:I am not an expert on this program, but that sounds like the MixControl 3.7 is not compatible with Windows 10. Did you try to get a higher version of that program? Do you know if your Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is compatible with higher versions?

In the case of negative, I guess that the best option you have is just selling that one, and try to get another one compatible with the MixControl 3.X compatible with your Windows 10.

Well, actually I have another alternative, which consists in install a previous windows version... but that is much more thought because it will require you to make a backup of everything you have currently on your computer, and also re-install all the other stuff you currently have...

Thanks for your reply. The version 3.7 is the latest Windows version of the software. The only higher version available is 3.9 for Mac only.

I am at a loss as to where to go next, i dont think going back to Windows 7 is a runner and frankly i dont see why i should either.

dk
suirthing
Poster

Postby dustin.newman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:46 pm

maybe that software is not maintained anymore for Windows? maybe another device which supports a compatible software for Windows 10 is an option.

By the way, I wanted to show you a list of alternative devices but the moderator remove it, I really think this can be useful for you (hope this time remains :thumbdown: )

Repeated spam link removed. You have history with links to Amazon affiliate link sites that have been removed. Enjoy a one month ban. On your return any further posts including a link to an affiliate site will result in a total ban. - Andy :beamup:

good luck sir
dustin.newman
Poster
The only common language is Music.

Always looking for the best Head Phones

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:56 pm

suirthing wrote:I am at a loss as to where to go next, i dont think going back to Windows 7 is a runner and frankly i dont see why i should either.

Have you contacted Focusrite?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby suirthing » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Not yet, was hoping a fix would be something simple that someone on here would already know :D
suirthing
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm

dustin.newman wrote:maybe that software is not maintained anymore for Windows? maybe another device which supports a compatible software for Windows 10 is an option.

By the way, I wanted to show you a list of alternative devices but the moderator remove it, I really think this can be useful for you (hope this time remains :thumbdown: )

Repeated spam link removed. You have history with links to Amazon affiliate link sites that have been removed. Enjoy a one month ban. On your return any further posts including a link to an affiliate site will result in a total ban. - Andy :beamup:

good luck sir

For information, the link was to a site listing Focusrite products with affiliate links to third party sites selling the products. This is spam. There is no information about the products, just purchase links. Detailed information on all the products is freely available on the Focusrite site.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 pm

suirthing wrote:Not yet, was hoping a fix would be something simple that someone on here would already know :D

An email to Focusrite is always worth a go, it's their job to answer your queries. My experience was that F'rite support were very willing to help, even if in my case their help could not resolve the problem of an old OS and a more recent device (the MacPro in question was my little used office machine and as the Pro24 still worked on my MBP it was not a pressing issue).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby andy cross » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

No problems here running a Pro 24 with MixControl 3.7 on two Windows 10 machines, so it can be done.
andy cross
Regular

Postby andy cross » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:06 pm

No problems here running a Pro 24 with MixControl 3.7 on two Windows 10 machines, so it can be done. Not sure what to suggest, though. As it's a new install, one obvious remedy isn't an option.
andy cross
Regular

Postby suirthing » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:38 pm

Well things just got a whole lot worse - i reconnected the Pro 40 to my Mac MIni setup, where it been working away perfectly for ages - and now Cubase wont play audio thru it, even tho it appears as a device, all i/o is correct and the FW Active and Locked buttons are lit on the unit. I also tried to set it as the default device in the Mac's Sound Preferences and it hangs Youtube.

Ive emailed Focusrite, fingers crossed.

dk
suirthing
Poster

Postby suirthing » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Just thought id post an update here, in case anyone encounters similar problems..

Emailed Focusrite, they got back to me with 2 fixes - 1 for Windows and 1 for Mac.

Mac one first - try opening Mix Control, set the sample rate to 44.1kHz, then 96kHz, then back down to 44.1kHz and try playing audio through it again. This worked for me.

Windows - The reason you're experiencing the issue on Windows is because the version of Saffire Mix Control you're using on Mac (3.9) contains a newer firmware than what is available from 3.7 for Windows.

You can try downloading version Saffire Mix Control 3.8b1 for Windows, which has the same firmware version as 3.9. If you install this, then it should work fine. You can download this from here:
https://sync.focusrite.com/s/PKDVaLfGixhScL1

Hope this helps someone,
dk
suirthing
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for sharing that. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 am

I have the Liquid 56 never thought of updating firmware and all works great with windows 10 and mix 3.7. IF you consider expanding using ADAT consider the bit rate, the Behringer ADA8200 will only go to 48Hz and the OctoPre will go all the way to 196.

Bus 1&2 are for stereo monitors
Bus 3-10 are for expansion, I have them going to Guitar & Power amps

I have expanded the inputs by using DI for guitars and line splitter for mics
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:31 pm

uselessoldman wrote:IF you consider expanding using ADAT consider the bit rate, the Behringer ADA8200 will only go to 48Hz and the OctoPre will go all the way to 196.

Pedant alert :blush: , the Pro 40 only has a single ADAT input (and one output), the Octopre has two ADAT outputs so it can send 8 channels via ADAT*at 96kHz and four at 192kHz. The upshot of this is that you only get 4 extra channels from the Octopre at 96kHz and 2 at 192kHz.

The Behringer also adds an extra 8 analogue outputs via ADAT (at 44.1/48kHz). All ADAT signals are 24 bit.

* This is down to the ADAT protocol which only supports 4 channels at 96kHz, I'm not even sure it supports 192kHz officially but obviously Focusrite have made it work.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next