You are here

MS Accounts

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

MS Accounts

Postby OneWorld » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:41 am

OK sorry, this is not music related but I don't know where else to turn. Does anyone have the foggiest idea of how Microsoft accounts works?

Scenario - I use several www.outlook.com mail accounts and I look at these using Microsoft Office Outlook Mail Client

call the accounts account1@outlook.com and account2@outlook.com

Problem - all was well and good until I wanted to change the password on one of the accounts and to do that I have to log in directly to www.outlook.com But it refused my password - why I do not know, I have used the same password for years

So I thought ok, I'll just reset the password - I did that, sent for an access code etc, but I was still told the password is wrong

I did however finally get into the account, or so I thought, because when I went to 'reset password', I noted the account details were for the other outlook.com account, even though I had logged in with the credentials for the other account.

Could anyone give me some idea of what's going on?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: MS Accounts

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:22 am

A single Microsoft account can have more than one email associated with it, hence one account, two emails - could it be something like that?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby miN2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 am

I've had this before. It went away when i turned off my VPN. Outlook does seem a bit iffy with VPNs, so if you're running one try disabling whilst you changed passwords.
miN2
Regular

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 pm

I have no idea on the basic issue but I would try any password changes and verifications using private mode in any browsers.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 pm

miN2 wrote:I've had this before. It went away when i turned off my VPN. Outlook does seem a bit iffy with VPNs, so if you're running one try disabling whilst you changed passwords.
That seemed to be the issue, I turned off the vpn and things seem to get back to normal
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 pm

The worst thing I have done in computing in recent decades is to start using outlook.com email addresses.
The spam filter is ridiculously aggressive and gives about a 99% false negative rate for me.
As it cannot be turned off I have to manually login on the Web to all 4 accounts weekly to check the spam folders.
As opposed to just relying on my email client to handle everything manually.
I hate Microtoss.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:21 pm

Agharta wrote:The worst thing I have done in computing in recent decades is to start using outlook.com email addresses.
The spam filter is ridiculously aggressive and gives about a 99% false negative rate for me.
As it cannot be turned off I have to manually login on the Web to all 4 accounts weekly to check the spam folders.
As opposed to just relying on my email client to handle everything manually.
I hate Microtoss.

I feel your pain and the other issue that irritates many people is how logging into outlook.com, you get logged into Skype as well, you can’t seem to decouple from Skype.

I find using Thunderbird mail client is a good mail client for use with outlook.com accounts and I am increasingly using mail.com for mail accounts, it is so uncluttered, has that finesse that many MS products used to have before bloatup became the new black, or remember Google when it first appeared on the scene, simplicity exemplified. Thing is I do some stuff for non-profits and the other users are a tad technophobic otherwise I would ship the accounts across to the mail.com

That said, I used to use uk2.net and had 4 accounts of some 15 years with them, then about 2 years they shut free accounts down. I wanted to use their paid account but couldn’t use the same email addresses, so I swapped all across to outlook.com I want to make my next change the last
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)