You are here

How mix for beginner (post-rock, post-punk, math-rock, indie-rock ect.)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

How mix for beginner (post-rock, post-punk, math-rock, indie-rock ect.)

Postby behenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am

Been making plenty of demos for the last 3 years or so, recording with a decent mic on logic for about six months now and just acquired a new amp and pedals, so have reached a point where I would love to produce a professional or near professional sounding mix. Think slint, life without buildings, parquet courts ect. I understand what EQ, panning and compression ect are but I'm not sure how to implement them to make a great sounding mix. Does anyone know any video tutorials that show you how to mix and master, tailored towards that style of music OR have any advice in general, like the fundamentals and where to start as well as where to go once you have the basics. I would just love to make something that uses space really well, doesn't feel muddy and basically just sounds good. Sorry if this was poorly worded, any advice would be great.
behenny
Poster

Re: How mix for beginner (post-rock, post-punk, math-rock, indie-rock ect.)

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 am

Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio" is often recommended here and Mike's website at

https://cambridge-mt.com/

has plenty of additional resources.

Eddie Bazil (Zukan on here) also knows his stuff and has a website with lots of useful stuff at

https://samplecraze.com/

It is also well worth getting a subscription to SOS if you don't have one already and having a good browse around the articles on this website.

I would also say beware of random videos on Youtube - there are an awful lot of mixing videos out there that are worse than useless.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MegaBacher » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:07 am

You know I emailed the engineer of the Parquet Courts Wide Awake album and he responded. It probably wouldn't be too hard to email him questions about how he mixed that album.
MegaBacher
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am

I'm similarly dismayed by most of the YT videos I see. There is some appalling misinformation out there - and getting hits is obviously more important than providing genuinely pragmatic guides.

I'd say find a reference track and keep it alongside your song, and keep going back to it as you work. Listen, react, repeat. Allow yourself to make mistakes, use the minimum of processing to achieve the results - and keep at it.

And *understand* the tools at your disposal. There's little point picking up a screwdriver to knock in a nail, which is what I'm seeing every time I handle a mix rescue.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Just another +1 for Mike Senior's books. His website now has a series of video walkthroughs as he applies the various steps to a mix.
When the world opens up again I'd also suggest it's well worth investing in some 1:1 coaching. Zukan and The Elf both offer this if you're in the UK, and another session is on my list for post-lockdown activity.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm

blinddrew wrote:Just another +1 for Mike Senior's books. His website now has a series of video walkthroughs as he applies the various steps to a mix.
When the world opens up again I'd also suggest it's well worth investing in some 1:1 coaching. Zukan and The Elf both offer this if you're in the UK, and another session is on my list for post-lockdown activity.

I had a Skype/Zoom with Zukan myself last year and he knows his onions! Defo worth reaching out to him for some proper coaching if he's available, and I hear good things about The Elf too!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
You don't need reverb, just stack two EQs together with a really long cable

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:51 pm

The Elf wrote:I'd say find a reference track and keep it alongside your song, and keep going back to it as you work. Listen, react, repeat. Allow yourself to make mistakes, use the minimum of processing to achieve the results - and keep at it.

I'd just like to echo all of Elf's advice - it is spot on. When I was starting out I found that re-creating covers of songs really helped me to listen to recordings in a different way. With practice you can hear how recordings were created and how much the arrangement of the song matters.

And he's right - you don't need complicated processing chains on everything. When someone uses a complicated processing chain it is usually for a particular featured part that needs to sound different.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:42 pm

The Elf wrote:I'd say find a reference track and keep it alongside your song, and keep going back to it as you work. Listen, react, repeat. Allow yourself to make mistakes, use the minimum of processing to achieve the results - and keep at it.

+1 for this sterling advice :thumbup:

Each time you make a mistake you can learn from it and get better, and each time you manage to compete a mix with minimal processing you'll prove to yourself that choosing the basic sounds more carefully and thinking through the arrangement for maximum clarity can be far more important then pasting in strings of plug-ins in an attempt to correct a host of issues.

Don't fix it in the mix! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby behenny » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:07 pm

Some great replies really appreciate it. Will definitely check some of these things out
behenny
Poster