You are here

Korg 700FS?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg 700FS?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:59 am

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Korg 700FS?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:18 am

Ooh! That price is crazy, but I always wanted one of those...

And do I see damed external PSU connector on that back panel? Strewth! :madas: :madas: If so, that's made it an easy decision to cross off the 'want' list, then. Thanks, Korg. :roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 am

I still clearly remember when a teacher at my school bought one and did a monday morning assembly demoing it! Took me years to figure out what reference to 'The Traveller' were all about.... But oh so cool.... and probably solely responsible for my musical downfall into the dark depths of synthesis!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:33 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Took me years to figure out what reference to 'The Traveller' were all about....
Ooh! Do tell!

I see many people remove the un-crossable controller caps from the Traveller.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 am

The Elf wrote:Ooh! That price is crazy, but I always wanted one of those...

And do I see damed external PSU connector on that back panel? Strewth! :madas: :madas: If so, that's made it an easy decision to cross off the 'want' list, then. Thanks, Korg. :roll:

Wait till you see it's got a spring reverb in it...
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BigRedX » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:47 am

The Elf wrote:I see many people remove the un-crossable controller caps from the Traveller.

I own a Korg VCF Pedal which is essentially just the filter section with an envelope follower and a Wah-Wah Pedal style controller. When I rebuilt the desk-top part to fit into a 19" rack unit I took the opportunity to replace the Traveller sliders with normal rotary potentiometers. TBH none of the new sounds available by crossing over the two traveller pots are very usable or inspiring.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 pm

The Elf wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Took me years to figure out what reference to 'The Traveller' were all about....
Ooh! Do tell!

Only that I initially thought -- from my teacher's demo that it was some kind of manual wah-wah effect. It was only years later when I laid hands on one in person that I realised they were simply the same high and low pass filters that so many other synths had, but that could be operated together or separately. Why Korg called it a 'Traveller' rather than the simply HP and LP filters is completely beyond me!

I see many people remove the un-crossable controller caps from the Traveller.

Largely pointless, though, since if the high pass filter is set higher than the low pass filter, you just end up attenuating the signal.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm

I must admit, I quite fancy one of these, I may get in a pre-order before I loose out.
Although, I’m thinking of getting that Prophet 5 Reissue, and the price difference between that, and what you get, compared to this Korg is preposterous.
But the Korg brings back memories of cadging demos of stuff in my local home organ shop when I was a teenager, they had a Davolisint too, always liked those..... :think: :think:

Yes! a Davolisint! come on Korg!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster