You are here

High-pitched whine

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

High-pitched whine

Postby baward » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:57 pm

My setup has started producing a distinct high-pitched whine at about 9-10k, although its hard to tell exactly as that's about the same pitch as my tinnitus! But it's definitely there.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Mk.2 and 2 Neumann KM-80's. Switching everything off, then on again has made no difference. Any ideas? Thank you.
baward
Regular

Re: High-pitched whine

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Lots of potential sources.... but I'd start by checking the locations of any switched mode power units. They operate at high frequencies and can sometimes radiate nasties into nearby audio cables. So moving them -- and even just changing their orientation -- can sometimes help.

Another possibility is a failing switched mode supply, or a failing DC-DC converter inside one device, so try turning off individual items to see if you can track the problem down to a single device.

Yet another cause is ground loop noises, often emanating from the computer. So try disconnecting audio cables to see if you can track down where it's getting in... and then follow the usual ground-loop curing techniques if that looks a likely candidate.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby baward » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Thank you for your response, Hugh. That gives me something to get my teeth into for the next day or so...

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Ben,

Further to Hugh's excellent advice, you may find this SOS step-by-step guide I wrote for tracking down ground loop problems useful - its pays to be very systematic, and you can use it to quickly confirm whether or not ground loop problems are the reason for your 9/10kHz noises, before exploring possible PSU nasties and similar issues.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... -my-studio

Martin
Martin Walker