You are here

New Mac for Jazz recording

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby twotoedsloth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 pm

Hello,

I appreciate you taking the time to read this message, I know there are probably dozens of questions like this.

We need a new Mac computer (I tried to talk them into Linux Mint, got shot down quickly). This would be to record student recitals.

We would need a maximum of 16 channels, at the moment using a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK, but that might change to a Yamaha TF1, depending on whom we hire to do these recordings.

I was thinking that the new Macbook Air with 16 gigs of RAM and 512 gig SSD would do the job nicely. But my assistant is insisting that the Macbook Air is not suitable for recording, and we should go for the 13" Macbook Pro. Looking at the specs they seem to be nearly identical, just the Air has a lower capacity battery and a much smaller power supply.

Please let me know what you think? Am I missing something critical in terms of Air vs MBP?

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Did your assistant give you an actual reason why they considered the Air unsuitable?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11436
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:55 pm

desmond wrote:Did your assistant give you an actual reason why they considered the Air unsuitable?

Maybe more suited to recording Phil Collins.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6146
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:56 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Maybe more suited to recording Phil Collins.

Because it has no fans?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11436
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:00 pm

desmond wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:Maybe more suited to recording Phil Collins.

Because it has no fans?

Savage :lol:

But yes, recording 16 tracks of audio doesn't ask very much from a computer, especially by today's standards. I'd be surprised if an Air struggled with that.
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire, UK
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby MOF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:49 pm

I’ll probably be buying the new 13” MBP but does your assistant know that it has fans in it, albeit extremely quiet and most times not active because it’s so thermally efficient.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby twotoedsloth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 pm

Hello,

Many thanks for your responses.

My assistant is a mac evangelist, and she knows their product lines well. Maybe because of the fan she prefers the Macbook Pro. It would be horrible if during a student recital the computer dropped out of record mode due to overheating.

I'll ask her when she gets in on Thursday morning.

Thank you for your guidance,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Luke W wrote:
desmond wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:Maybe more suited to recording Phil Collins.

Because it has no fans?

Savage :lol:

Brutal - but funny :)

I was thinking more about putting some Phil Collins in the Air.

(Duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duhduhduh!)

...tonight.

A bit more gentle but not half as chuckleworthy.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6146
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:12 pm

desmond wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:Maybe more suited to recording Phil Collins.

Because it has no fans?

The virtual hat is duly taken off :clap:
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7728
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:26 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:My assistant is a mac evangelist, and she knows their product lines well. Maybe because of the fan she prefers the Macbook Pro. It would be horrible if during a student recital the computer dropped out of record mode due to overheating.

Edit: I think the fan thing was purely conjecture on your part, and you didn't actually get a reason from her as to why, so I've removed my previous comment. You won't get fan noise, or overheating, on these at all. Even the one without the fan... They are phenominal. Either would work fine for your needs.

Don't buy any other Mac running Intel chips at this point in time, fwiw... Unless you *want* fan noise, and overheating... :oops:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11436
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:34 pm

BTW It was a Facetious comment about Phil, played unfairly just for laughs. I like him. and he's done great work.

It was just that that response was simply pithy-er and funnier than my first response, so I went with it... :blush: :shifty:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11436
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm

You saw your chance... Too good not to.
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire, UK
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:20 am

Sometimes the crime is worth the time. To do otherwise would be disrespectful to the craic.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6146
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby twotoedsloth » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Hello all,

I'm not sure I understand you here Desmond, when you say "Don't buy any other Mac running Intel chips at this point in time, fwiw... Unless you *want* fan noise, and overheating..."

Do you mean I should NOT purchase an Intel based Mac? Or should I stick to the older line of the Macbook Air or Pro?

I would broadly agree that fan noise and overheating are not desirable.

Sorry for being so dense.

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New Mac for Jazz recording

Postby Luke W » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:34 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:I'm not sure I understand you here Desmond, when you say "Don't buy any other Mac running Intel chips at this point in time, fwiw... Unless you *want* fan noise, and overheating..."

Do you mean I should NOT purchase an Intel based Mac? Or should I stick to the older line of the Macbook Air or Pro?

I would broadly agree that fan noise and overheating are not desirable.

I'm sure you'll get an answer from Desmond directly, but I assume the advice is as you've said, to avoid the Intel based machines. They run far hotter than the newer models using Apples own CPU, it's one of the reasons for Apple moving away from them.
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire, UK
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Next