You are here

Editing and Comping

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Editing and Comping

Postby The Culprit » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:46 pm

manwilde wrote:I can´t tell how many times I´ve felt the same about this place... Truly a treasure, both in information wealth and civil discourse

Yeah it has got the lot. Even the humour is incredibly nuanced :lol:
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am

We all have our own ways of working. For instance, because of my background, I only do the simplest of edits in my DAW; 95%+ of tricky edit work is done in a separate standalone editor.

These differences are not wrong, but we can all keep learning and adapting our techniques appropriately. Sometimes a throwaway comment here will make me think, "Of course!" and adopt a new technique because it's simply much more easy and straightforward.

There's only two key questions in the 'how to work' with regard to your existing practices:

* Does it work?
* Is it driving me nuts?

As long as the answers are respectively 'Yes' and 'No' then all is well... If not then come here and ask for some pointers...

Simples... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Culprit » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:50 am

Mike Stranks wrote:We all have our own ways of working. For instance, because of my background, I only do the simplest of edits in my DAW; 95%+ of tricky edit work is done in a separate standalone editor.

Standalone editor...I take it that's a sampler you're referring to? A wee Akai is certainly on my list of future devices to try :D

Mike Stranks wrote:These differences are not wrong, but we can all keep learning and adapting our techniques appropriately. Sometimes a throwaway comment here will make me think, "Of course!" and adopt a new technique because it's simply much more easy and straightforward.

There's only two key questions in the 'how to work' with regard to your existing practices:

* Does it work?
* Is it driving me nuts?

As long as the answers are respectively 'Yes' and 'No' then all is well... If not then come here and ask for some pointers...

Simples... :lol:

Yeah there is always a constant tweaking of workflow, actually I'm guilty of spending more time messing with reaper templates and technical setup than recording or mixing at times :lol:

But I have plenty to work on with some stuff of my own and also lots of a mate's songs he wants done, I just wish I had a better recording space. One works with what they have though!

Think this weekend will mostly be spent finding a decent editing workflow so expect a few bumps if this thread :thumbup:
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:23 am

The Culprit wrote:Think this weekend will mostly be spent finding a decent editing workflow so expect a few bumps if this thread :thumbup:

As a friendly suggestion, don't overthink these things. Just do.

Then, Mike's control questions - does it work and is it driving you nuts while doing so - are the right thing.

There's absolutely no point in worrying about problems you don't know you have.. and most likely won't have. Because again, comping is not complicated and just buy doing it you will figure out an efficient workflow for yourself. And make music instead of tinkering.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am

The Culprit wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:We all have our own ways of working. For instance, because of my background, I only do the simplest of edits in my DAW; 95%+ of tricky edit work is done in a separate standalone editor.

Standalone editor...I take it that's a sampler you're referring to? A wee Akai is certainly on my list of future devices to try :D

Ah no! I mean 'Standalone' as in a separate piece of software.

I use Goldwave: https://www.goldwave.com/goldwave.php

I got it long before I got a DAW... It's a one-off payment with frequent updates. Some excellent features - eg I've recently discovered that it has a LUFS analysis feature which gives you the readings after a sweep of a few seconds.

Of course, there are other 'standalone' software editors that will doubtless now be suggested. I found Goldwave over 20 years ago through Google... it's stood me in very very good stead over the years and I know it (the bits I use all the time) so well I can rattle along at a brisk pace.

NB. My context may be useful... these days virtually all of my edit work is spoken word.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 am

The Culprit wrote:Yeah there is always a constant tweaking of workflow, actually I'm guilty of spending more time messing with reaper templates and technical setup than recording or mixing at times :lol:

About 20 years ago I stopped using computers for recording and reverted to hardware for exactly that reason, I was on Windows XP and Cubase.

After about 10 years a mate offered me a cheap G5 Mac. I still spend more time playing computers than is ideal but the ratio is much more acceptable. OTOH, if you were making records professionally you'd probably employ somebody to do the computer stuff for you but, as a hobbyist, there is a certain satisfaction in making the system work well by your own endevours.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Of course, there are other 'standalone' software editors that will doubtless now be suggested. I found Goldwave over 20 years ago through Google... it's stood me in very very good stead over the years and I know it (the bits I use all the time) so well I can rattle along at a brisk pace.

Back in those days the choice for budget editors was Goldwave or Cool Edit. Cool Edit became Cool Edit Pro (with added multitrack mode) which then turned into Adobe Audition. It is good to see Goldwave is still around and keeping up with the times.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:09 pm

I wish I had more time on my hands to run through this. The thing is, Reaper makes possible so many different editing workflows, and it takes some time to figure out which way is best for you. It's ALL about the workflow. It's easy to learn to edit things to your satisfaction. It's less easy arriving at a way that you can do that quickly where it all becomes second nature. Kenny's tutorials are good. I think John Tidey did some good ones too. But really, you're going to need to figure out your own workflow and tailor Reaper's controls to suit it. What I would say is that you really should look into Mouse Modifiers. Put time into configuring those and Reaper is a frighteningly quick and powerful editing tool (particularly if you add a gaming mouse with lots of buttons... you'll barely need to reach for the keyboard at all!)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:09 am

CS70 wrote:As a friendly suggestion, don't overthink these things. Just do.

Then, Mike's control questions - does it work and is it driving you nuts while doing so - are the right thing.

There's absolutely no point in worrying about problems you don't know you have.. and most likely won't have. Because again, comping is not complicated and just buy doing it you will figure out an efficient workflow for yourself. And make music instead of tinkering.

Noted mate cheers for the advice :thumbup:

Mike Stranks wrote:Ah no! I mean 'Standalone' as in a separate piece of software.

I use Goldwave: https://www.goldwave.com/goldwave.php

I got it long before I got a DAW... It's a one-off payment with frequent updates. Some excellent features - eg I've recently discovered that it has a LUFS analysis feature which gives you the readings after a sweep of a few seconds.

Of course, there are other 'standalone' software editors that will doubtless now be suggested. I found Goldwave over 20 years ago through Google... it's stood me in very very good stead over the years and I know it (the bits I use all the time) so well I can rattle along at a brisk pace.

NB. My context may be useful... these days virtually all of my edit work is spoken word.

Right I get you. I remember a program I came across years ago called sound forge that was similar I think. I thought maybe they types of programs were obsolete because of how far DAW's have come, but obviously there are benefits to still be had there.

I would consider going down that route if there were features I wouldn't get in Reaper...can you convince me? :D
The Culprit
Regular

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am

Sam Spoons wrote:About 20 years ago I stopped using computers for recording and reverted to hardware for exactly that reason, I was on Windows XP and Cubase.

After about 10 years a mate offered me a cheap G5 Mac. I still spend more time playing computers than is ideal but the ratio is much more acceptable. OTOH, if you were making records professionally you'd probably employ somebody to do the computer stuff for you but, as a hobbyist, there is a certain satisfaction in making the system work well by your own endevours.

I know what you mean, I record on a Zoom r16 but that's mainly because my laptop is very basic and I don't have a good recording space. I feel the portability and the silence of the unit is so much better when tracking, but of course the laptop is still needed for drums, editing, automation etc.

Matt Houghton wrote:I wish I had more time on my hands to run through this. The thing is, Reaper makes possible so many different editing workflows, and it takes some time to figure out which way is best for you. It's ALL about the workflow. It's easy to learn to edit things to your satisfaction. It's less easy arriving at a way that you can do that quickly where it all becomes second nature. Kenny's tutorials are good. I think John Tidey did some good ones too. But really, you're going to need to figure out your own workflow and tailor Reaper's controls to suit it. What I would say is that you really should look into Mouse Modifiers. Put time into configuring those and Reaper is a frighteningly quick and powerful editing tool (particularly if you add a gaming mouse with lots of buttons... you'll barely need to reach for the keyboard at all!)

This is getting to the bones of the matter. I had never even really noticed the mouse modifiers function, much less looked into it. One of the best things about Reaper IMO is the fact you can assign so many functions to so many different devices. I had a wee Akai LPD8 and used it for all sorts of things. I do need to get something like that again, and coupled with a good mouse I think I should find my own wee way of working quickly.

Thanks to all of you, SOS never disappoints :thumbup:
The Culprit
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:31 pm

The Culprit wrote:Right I get you. I remember a program I came across years ago called sound forge that was similar I think. I thought maybe they types of programs were obsolete because of how far DAW's have come, but obviously there are benefits to still be had there.

I would consider going down that route if there were features I wouldn't get in Reaper...can you convince me? :D

FWIW I use Reaper as my goto stereo editing programme, my wife is a dance teacher and often needs a recording edited to fit a time limit for a festival dance so I do a fair bit of it. Back in the day I used WaveLab and was disappointed when I discovered it wasn't available on the Mac but I quickly developed a workflow in Reaper that is every bit as quick and easy as WaveLab had been.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:FWIW I use Reaper as my goto stereo editing programme, my wife is a dance teacher and often needs a recording edited to fit a time limit for a festival dance so I do a fair bit of it. Back in the day I used WaveLab and was disappointed when I discovered it wasn't available on the Mac but I quickly developed a workflow in Reaper that is every bit as quick and easy as WaveLab had been.

Yes I would assume that Reaper or any other DAW would manage most if not all of what a standalone editior can achieve. For guys like Mike who already have a set workflow in a standalone editor there is no need to change anythnig, but I doubt it's worthwhile creating a workflow that uses two different programs rather than just one.

But again, i'm happy to stand corrected if needs be!
The Culprit
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm

The Culprit wrote:...For guys like Mike who already have a set workflow in a standalone editor there is no need to change anything, but I doubt it's worthwhile creating a workflow that uses two different programs rather than just one.

But again, I'm happy to stand corrected if needs be!

Exactly! Spot on! :thumbup:

If I was starting over I'd have bought a DAW, found out I needed to do some editing and sussed how to do it in the DAW. That's it! No other software needed.

More of my context... I started with tape... for over 20 years. Editing was physically cutting tape. So when I finally went ITB I looked for a software 'tape-recorder' and found it in Goldwave. I actually did some fairly complex radio packages using Goldwave - with cross-fades and all the trimmings. Then someone explained how I could make things much simpler - and quicker - if I used a DAW for the mix. :idea: It clearly WAS quicker and easier... so I bought one. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Exactly! Spot on! :thumbup:

If I was starting over I'd have bought a DAW, found out I needed to do some editing and sussed how to do it in the DAW. That's it! No other software needed.

More of my context... I started with tape... for over 20 years. Editing was physically cutting tape. So when I finally went ITB I looked for a software 'tape-recorder' and found it in Goldwave. I actually did some fairly complex radio packages using Goldwave - with cross-fades and all the trimmings. Then someone explained how I could make things much simpler - and quicker - if I used a DAW for the mix. :idea: It clearly WAS quicker and easier... so I bought one. :)

I don't envy you guys having to go through all that cutting tape business...we really are so spoiled in these times :lol:
The Culprit
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:52 pm

The Culprit wrote:I don't envy you guys having to go through all that cutting tape business...we really are so spoiled in these times :lol:
Oh, you don't know the half of it! Mention 'spot erasing', 'timecode bleed', or 'edge track' to a seasoned tape-jockey and watch his face turn grey... ;)

...and the young'uns are amazed when us oldies say we wouldn't ever go back to tape! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext