You are here

Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Ben, this Pittsburgh sequencer is truly amazing, it’s rare I say that something fits me perfectly, no gripes, no padding, no extra useless features, it’s like it was made for me!
All I can say is I wish I’d bought it sooner.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:44 pm

::: puts diary reminder in to check the classifieds for a Pittsburgh sequencer next week :::

;) :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:48 pm

:D LOL
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:Ben, this Pittsburgh sequencer is truly amazing,
:thumbup:
Glad you're enjoying it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Stop it! Now I want one even though I need one as much as a hawk needs specsavers ;)

Not worthy of a thread on its own but as a side comment my Thonk knobs arrived today so I now have fat knobs instead of those spindly shaft things on both my Subharmonicon and DFAM sequencer/clock controls, which is quite pleasing.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Stop it! Now I want one even though I need one as much as a hawk needs specsavers ;)

Not worthy of a thread on its own but as a side comment my Thonk knobs arrived today so I now have fat knobs instead of those spindly shaft things on both my Subharmonicon and DFAM sequencer/clock controls, which is quite pleasing.

Crap, now I need those...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:42 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Stop it! Now I want one even though I need one as much as a hawk needs specsavers ;)

Crap, now I need those...

You do. They rock. Sorry mate ;)

Not just a gimmick either. They really do add to the usability/friendliness of the synths, they are very reasonably priced and why Moog didn't include them in the first place I've no idea.

For the DFAM they sell the ready-to-roll kit. For the Subharmonicon you need to order a pack of "Brass Pot Adapters - 6mm to 6.35mm" (they come in packs of 20), and any combination you fancy of "Black - Mini (6.35mm Round Shaft) - Synth Pointer Plastic Knob" and "Black - Small (6.35mm Round Shaft) - Synth Pointer Plastic Knob" from here.

The small are the ones I have on the DFAM sequencer steps and the Mini are the ones I have on the Subharmonicon rhythm controls.

I went for Mini for the rhythm controls as I was being cautious but Small would work well for all.

They are a doddle to fit as well. The brass pot adaptors simply slide into the knobs, and then you slide that arrangement over the existing pots on the synths and tighten a slotted grub screw with a small screwdriver.

You'll note that one of my knobs came missing the shiny silver cap, but I've been in touch with them about that and I'm not fussed anyway. Thonk's registered office address is in my home town. As you're in the US you might want to order one extra knob just in case - they are cheap as chips.

If you have any issues with over-the-top shipping costs or brexit (I don't think you should, being in the US) then let me know and I can order for you and forward them on privately.

Apologies for temporarily hijacking your thread Tony!
Eddy Deegan

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:03 am

Fortunately I don't need more knobs so I can resist another visit to Thonk.

Just finished building 3 kits from Thonk, and now bracing myself to assemble the Flight of Harmony joystick kit I've been putting off. It's SMD so soldering those will be a first.

Due a delivery soon with some 2HP modules and a Dreadbox module. And I gave in to temptation and have a Deckard's Voice module on order

Just 58HP left to fill... :ugeek:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:15 am

zenguitar wrote:Just finished building 3 kits from Thonk, and now bracing myself to assemble the Flight of Harmony joystick kit I've been putting off. It's SMD so soldering those will be a first.

Ooh, that should be fun Andy - the joystick controller on the Korg Kronos is a thing of joy indeed. Superb expression and modulation capabilities. Why more synths don't have one I don't know.

zenguitar wrote:I gave in to temptation and have a Deckard's Voice module on order

Double-ooh! That's something rather special.

zenguitar wrote:Just 58HP left to fill... :ugeek:

Since I removed the Mother-32 from my Moog 104HP case, I've got 60HP to fill in order to complete the gap left next to the Hermod, Erica Synth Bassline and TipTop power supply. I've not got any plans figured out yet but it's 60HP that's yearning for some nice things which I'll add when I've finished the studio build and recovered from the shock of acquiring the Arturia PolyBrute :)
Eddy Deegan

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:24 am

Which Dreadbox module?

Deckard’s Voice is definitely on my short list!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:26 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Since I removed the Mother-32 from my Moog 104HP case, I've got 60HP to fill in order to complete the gap left next to the Hermod, Erica Synth Bassline and TipTop power supply. I've not got any plans figured out yet but it's 60HP that's yearning for some nice things which I'll add when I've finished the studio build and recovered from the shock of acquiring the Arturia PolyBrute :)
Atlantis would fit nicely there, just sayin’...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:27 am

A useful tool for the modular but my incentive for the joystick was the Korg VSTi Wavestation. Should be quite straightforward to patch it to the 'puter through my Expert Sleepers ES9 and Silent Way software.

And if it doesn't work, other Eurorack joysticks are available :D

Gotta be careful choosing what to fill those remaining 58HP with. Once it's done I will have to bite the bullet and start actually using the monster. You don't want to rush these things.

:angel:

zenguitar

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:29 am

lol Utilities, you’ll want a load of utilities.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:37 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Atlantis would fit nicely there, just sayin’...

Hmm... it would... but I have it covered with the Pro-1 module which I bought a while back from the company I don't buy things from any more.

I'm thinking more along the line of something plaits or cloud-ish but I'm by no means certain yet. Definitely one to noodle over for a while ;-)

Ben Asaro wrote:lol Utilities, you’ll want a load of utilities.

You can never have enough mults, VCAs, EGs or Oscillators :)
Eddy Deegan

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:42 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Which Dreadbox module?

Deckard’s Voice is definitely on my short list!

The Dreadbox Nostalgia is the one on its way. I already have the Utopia module which is a lot of utility for the money.

The Deckard's Voice had been tempting me for months but the price of £699 was intimidating. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I discovered the 2HP modules which opened up an opportunity for some creative accounting.

The Deckard's Voice takes up 32HP. That is the equivalent to 16x 2HP modules. The 2HP modules average around £100 each; so 32HP works out as something around £1600. By that reckoning, the Deckard's Voice has saved me £900.

zenguitar

PreviousNext