You are here

I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:33 pm

I've got a studiospares branded version of the same box: https://www.studiospares.com/studiospar ... 458260.htm
But looking at the different prices I'd say $45 seems a bit steep. You might find a better price if you hunt around a bit.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: I would like to try and make my own audio cables, suggestions for where to get the parts?

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:39 am

I too have the StudioSpares one (and it's little sister) and they were remarkably cheap, not quite so cheap now but still somewhat less than your link. I'd endorse Drew's suggestion that you look out for a less expensive version, they ain't rocket science just switches, sockets and LEDs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 am

I'm US based (have lived in 13!) and am also a strong Neutrik supporter. Best connectors around. Many options on cable Canare, Mogami, but you can get perfectly great cables without paying for the brand premium.

This might also serve:

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/bulk-connectors-multipins-adapters
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Stop making stupid people famous.

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:04 am

I can add little to the previous excellent advice save that I am once again a cable making newb!

I have just made up two XLR male to TRS jack plug adaptors and two TRS plug to plug cables to go with the Mackie BK controller he is getting for his birthday. Five or six years ago I would have bashed those out in 30 mins. Took me most of a morning now, short range depth perception is shot. (but I got better with practice!)

If not mentioned already, get a 2" mini table vice, one that swivels is best. When soldering say XLR, put the compliment in the vice and plug in the work piece. This facilitates swift plug and removal and the pins are both heat shunted and held in precise alignment. Yes! I know! Neither of those things will happen with Nukes but there is a case for cheaper plugs in some case, i.e. where a lot of them are connected and left.

Yes, run sleeving down each wire. I like silicone heat proof sleeving, heat shrink is a bugger to remove if you make a mistake. I do use heat shrink with 'lesser' jack plugs to reinforce the rather poorer cable clamp arrangement and to give some strain relief.

Cable, no point in using super quality stuff for 'fixed site' wiring e.g. a patch bay or even out to active monitors. You can get 3mm diameter foil screened cable with a drain wire. Much easier to strip and little chance of 'whiskers' causing shorts. Of course use chunky 6mm cable for mics and guitars.

The tester is a great boon but if you are going to make a LOT of cables, make up some 'sacrificial' adapters. 8" of cable with say, XLR one end and its mate on 'tother. This will save wear on the tester's sockets which might be quite a trial to impossible to replace.

Last of all, a bit of H&S. Use a fan to blow fumes away from you (or solder outside) don't smoke, drink or eat and solder and wash hands after.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:20 pm

I tend to use Redco.com as my supplier for bulk cable and connectors. And they do custom panels and boxes if you need to do snake type things
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby seriousnewbie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 am

For anyone still seeing this forum, I just want to say thank you to everybody for helping. I was able to make my own cable! Did I really save money? I don't really know. Even if I didn't, will I continue? Absolutely, it's fun.

For anybody interested, I bought the Canare L-4e6s cable from Redco.com, and Nueutrik XX female and male connectors from B&H because they had a deal to get the female and male connector together for a cheaper price. Although I plan on getting all my stuff from Redco.com from here on out, because they have the cheapest prices and I know I can trust them. Also because they give you the tracking # via email so you can check in on your product whenever. As far as cable tester, thank you very much to who ever suggested that, it was fantastic, I ended going with a Mackie cable tester.

If anyone has any further questions, please let me know!
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks for the update and welcome to the club.

Be warned, it can become addictive ;)
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:56 am

Music Wolf wrote:Thanks for the update and welcome to the club.

Be warned, it can become addictive ;)

Absolutely. Although you're not a fully certified member until you've soldered up a connector with perfect joints, only to look around and spot the boot of the XLR still sat there on the bench...

:lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am

DINs! Gotta do some DINs to get the tee shirt!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 am

Luke W wrote:Absolutely. Although you're not a fully certified member until you've soldered up a connector with perfect joints, only to look around and spot the boot of the XLR still sat there on the bench...
:lol:

I've been soldering cables for over 50 years now, and occasionally I still make this rookie error!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Guitar lead jack plugs. Done this sooooo many times. :oops:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Luke W » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm

I knew it couldn't be just me...

Not so much of a problem when you've still got the other end of the cable to do, but when it's the second one... :headbang:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm

I bought one of those portable printers (Dymo) so I could make custom heat shrink labels for a new set of cables in my patch bay. Printed out 16 nice perfect labels, and proceeded to solder up 6 cables without them :-(
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Stop making stupid people famous.

Postby Folderol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:48 pm

One place I worked we had a very long sheet of fan-fold paper, headed "cockups we're prepared to admit"
This was by far the most frequent entry. It was also interesting to notice the people who's names never appeared on the list - especially as the boss put his on a few times!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Luke W wrote:I knew it couldn't be just me...

Not so much of a problem when you've still got the other end of the cable to do, but when it's the second one... :headbang:

There is a logic buried in there...If you have six cables to make, do six 'one ends' then six 'other ends'

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext