You are here

Moog where are you?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Moog where are you?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 am

Yes, I know there’s a pandemic on, and all that.......but.
I have one of your synthesisers that’s never worked properly since I bought it, and now it’s getting worse, I’ve sent you a few emails over the course of the last three months, not one reply.
I’ll keep trying, but I don’t see what good it’s going to do me, I opened up the synth yesterday, a Moog Grandmother, and had a look myself, lots of very flimsy ribbon cables, the sort you see in laptops, and are frightened to touch in case they fall apart or snap.
I didn’t detect anything loose, so I just put it back together again, the layout wasn’t inspiring, the ribbon cables could have been longer to aid removal of the bottom panel, and it would have been easy to damage them. Also, all of the edge connectors were hidden, which required more PCB removals. I also noticed that some screws were obviously missing, which wasn’t good.
Moog, to preserve my belief in you as one of my favourite companies, please could you reply to requests for "customer support" as I could do with a bit of that here right now, otherwise I may shop elsewhere when it comes to a new synth purchase.

:( :shocked: :crazy: :-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Moog where are you?

Postby BillB » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 am

I hear that Behringer have very good quality control these days...

Ducks and runs.... :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:18 am

BillB wrote:I hear that Behringer have very good quality control these days...

Ducks and runs.... :headbang:

Yes, better than some people I know....by all accounts.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:33 am

I've had a Moog Voyager back to Moog four times over the past five years or more - and still it won't stay in tune.

What's missing at Moog that used to be there, I wonder?... :? :cry:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 pm

The Elf wrote:I've had a Moog Voyager back to Moog four times over the past five years or more - and still it won't stay in tune.

Given the customer service, or lack of it, and the build, which I can see for myself, it’s not what it used to be.
And I’ve thought that of late, the marketing and product range is very "bitty" like they’ve strayed from what they’re really good at.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Arpangel wrote:I have one of your synthesisers that’s never worked properly since I bought it, and now it’s getting worse, I’ve sent you a few emails over the course of the last three months, not one reply.

Source Distribution (part of HHB) are the official UK service centre for moog products:

https://www.sourcedistribution.co.uk/te ... refer=MOOG
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm

The Elf wrote:I've had a Moog Voyager back to Moog four times over the past five years or more - and still it won't stay in tune.

I did think that you should have stopped at "the mod wheel is a bit funny" - that seems to have been the closest it got to working right ...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Leadership
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Skepticism is a fundamental component of science.

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Dave B wrote:
I did think that you should have stopped at "the mod wheel is a bit funny" - that seems to have been the closest it got to working right ...
:lol:

I still tune it every day - it stays in tune for the day, then the following day... back to square one. The back panel stays permanently detached!

I live in hope and I really am going to get it back to Moog yet again at some stage. I've just lost the will for the moment!

It's such a beautiful instrument - I can't leave it in this sorry state when all its other problems have now been fixed and it's so close to being as it should be!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I have one of your synthesisers that’s never worked properly since I bought it, and now it’s getting worse, I’ve sent you a few emails over the course of the last three months, not one reply.

Source Distribution (part of HHB) are the official UK service centre for moog products:

https://www.sourcedistribution.co.uk/te ... refer=MOOG

Thanks Hugh, I just called Source, told then what the issue is, I’ve got to ship it back to them, it’s a pain, but there you go.
If I’m going to miss a synth this is it, not funny, I can’t do without it, it’s my main thing at the moment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Still no reply from Moog, looks like HHB are the UK repair agents for Moog.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Moog have a policy of not responding to people who refuse to pronounce their name properly. :)

Bob’s daughter repeatedly used the non-cow pronunciation in the GForce documentary.
Or Bobby Moo as you prefer to call him! :bouncy:
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Arpangel wrote:Still no reply from Moog, looks like HHB are the UK repair agents for Moog.

Close, but still no cigar.

Source is the official importer and distributor for Moog (mogue) products in the UK, and is also the official support and service centre for Moog in the UK and Ireland.

However, Source is a part of the HHB empire and HHB, just over the road, has a large and well-equipped service centre and experienced service technicians. So the actual work will undoubtedly be performed physically in the HHB service centre... but Source remains the UK service centre for all administrative purposes.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Agharta wrote:Moog have a policy of not responding to people who refuse to pronounce their name properly. :)

Bob’s daughter repeatedly used the non-cow pronunciation in the GForce documentary.
Or Bobby Moo as you prefer to call him! :bouncy:

Bob wouldn’t stand on ceremony, call me Tone, Tony, Anthony, I couldn’t give a f**k.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:25 pm

His nickname for you of Tone Deaf couldn't have helped your disposition towards him. :lol:
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Next