You are here

Recommend Me a New Synth

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Recommend Me a New Synth

Postby cabradiaba » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 am

Hello guys!

I'm new here and to the synth world in general. I did some music only on digital/daw and now I'm migrating to analog/FM/synth instruments.

For now I'm using a KeyStep for MIDI and sequencer; a Elektron Model:Cycles and a Behring TD-3. I also hookup a Nanoloop/LSDJ on Gameboy sometimes. The thing is, I really want some LEAD synth, strings, something that can bring up the higher end of harmonics etc. It could have polyphony or be semi-modular - the things is I'm missing higher tones.

But, living in Brazil, despite everything being extremely expensive here (for currency reasons), there is not much available.

What I researched and is possible to buy here:
- Moog Mother 32 (maybe too bassy, only a few used available)
- a rare find of a Waldorf Streichfett
- Korg Monotron / Volca Modular / FM (only one found)
- Arturia Minibrute 2 (very expensive)
- An extremely expensive MAKE NOISE STREGA
- Some Behring replicas

That's about it. I'm really open to suggestions, but mostly looking for guidance on what could serve me better as my first synth playing AMBIENT, DRONE and HOUSE, with a lot of voices.

Thanks!
cabradiaba

Re: Recommend Me a New Synth

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 am

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your list of potential synths seems to be largely monophonic, but you're asking for suggestions that have lots of voices?
Most of the Behringer clones are monophonic IIRC, although e.g. the Deepmind isn't a clone and would give you 6/12 notes of polyphony.
Your DAW will undoubtedly give you access to the largest selection of sounds for the lowest cost - many of them come with some pretty capable soft-synths included, and there are plenty of free/inexpensive synths that you can add to these.
What is the availability like for second-hand synth modules/workstations in your area? E.g. Korg M3/Trinity/Tritons, Roland Fantoms/XV/JVs etc?
These won't necessarily provide the satisfying experience of lots of knobs to play with, but will give you a large range of sounds and reasonably polyphony (and multi-timbral capabilities) for potentially not too much money.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby cabradiaba » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Logarhythm wrote:Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your list of potential synths seems to be largely monophonic, but you're asking for suggestions that have lots of voices?
Most of the Behringer clones are monophonic IIRC, although e.g. the Deepmind isn't a clone and would give you 6/12 notes of polyphony.
Your DAW will undoubtedly give you access to the largest selection of sounds for the lowest cost - many of them come with some pretty capable soft-synths included, and there are plenty of free/inexpensive synths that you can add to these.
What is the availability like for second-hand synth modules/workstations in your area? E.g. Korg M3/Trinity/Tritons, Roland Fantoms/XV/JVs etc?
These won't necessarily provide the satisfying experience of lots of knobs to play with, but will give you a large range of sounds and reasonably polyphony (and multi-timbral capabilities) for potentially not too much money.

Hey. Thanks for the answer. I’m not looking for a DAW (albeit I have Live and Maschine and some plugins from UA Apollo). My research is into the hardware world.

Yes, there are used workstations here, both of these brands and several models. Although they are the same price as the Moog 32 and beyond. I said I’m looking for several voices mainly for music preference reasons, but I may be a little ignorant in this particular point. The main reason I’m looking for a synth is something that can be on this higher areas and serve as a lead.

Do you think this workstations will give me more bang and creativity than any of the synths I mentioned?
cabradiaba

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

There are some very esoteric synths in your list and they differ wildly in type and ability. Clearly you are not really sure what they all do, so I would advise that you go for something simple, and not too costly, and work up from there.

You are not going to get lots of voices unless you go for a digital synth, and in truth you don't really *need* them - short of a few two-handed pads - and a Mother 32 isn't going to help with that. Neither is a Streichfett going to give you punchy synth basses.

Maybe one of the Behringer DeepMinds? That would give you decent monosynth sounds and pretty good polysynth sounds. I suspect it will be a while before you outgrow it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:07 am

Recently I missed, much to my anger and disappointment, a secondhand Korg Triton Pro, 76 note workstation for £150.
Despite its age, this will do all you need, very nice keyboard, great sounds, it’s not analogue, but who cares?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby R_A » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:57 am

Arpangel wrote:Recently I missed, much to my anger and disappointment, a secondhand Korg Triton Pro, 76 note workstation for £150.
Despite its age, this will do all you need, very nice keyboard, great sounds, it’s not analogue, but who cares?

This is a good recommendation. The workstation keyboards of yesteryear fit your requirements perfectly and can often be found at reasonable prices.

The Yamaha SY85 is a useful, well made instrument.
R_A
Regular