You are here

Mackie vs the rest.. help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mackie vs the rest.. help

Postby sinewavves » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:51 am

I appreciate there may be no one answer to this. But here goes. I want to do some dub mixes using a hardware console, using faders, aux sends etc. Just haven't been able to get what I want in software with controllers etc. I have a good quality chain already including Apollo 8 and an SSL six which I track things through, and use for summing. I don't want to spend loads and the Mackie 1624 ticks all the functionality boxes I need, most important thing being direct outs so I can record the mix and edit it a bit later. So my Q is, if I'm feeding good sounding things into the Mackie, does it matter that it isn't as 'good' as the rest, if I don't want it to colour the sound in any way anyway..? There are a couple of other options from Soundcraft, A&H etc in the budget end of their ranges but not sure if I need it. Thanks!
sinewavves

Re: Mackie vs the rest.. help

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm

sinewavves wrote:...if I'm feeding good sounding things into the Mackie, does it matter that it isn't as 'good' as the rest, if I don't want it to colour the sound in any way anyway..? There are a couple of other options from Soundcraft, A&H etc in the budget end of their ranges but not sure if I need it. Thanks!

Does it matter? That's a subjective opinion that only you can answer.

The Mackie mixer is very cost-effective and, for most purposes, perfectly transparent and accurate. Plenty of commercial hit records have been tracked or mixed through Mackie mixers over the years, too.

But it's very obviously not in the same league as SSL, Neve, API, and their ilk in terms of build quality and signal path excellence.

Regarding your other options, I've always rated A&H as being slightly better than Mackie in terms of sound quality and design ethos (and I think their EQ is more usable too) , but in reality the differences are marginal. Same goes for Soundcraft. So at this level the decision is probably dominated by how the features and facilities suit your requirements.

One word of warning though: one of the most significant differences in the circuitry of a budget console like the Mackie compared to something like the SSL is the headroom. A console like the SSL can take signals at +22dBu and pass them without any problem at all. A console like the Mackie, while technically capable of doing that, often sounds rather strained and harsh simply because of the circuitry and components employed. I have used a Mackie 1402VLZ for decades and it's fine for most purposes, but I ensure peaks never exceed +6 to 10dBu. Any higher and it starts to colour the sound in a way I don't like. You might want to bear that in mind when using it to receive and send signals to an interface, and work with generous digital headroom margins.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby sinewavves » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm

Appreciate the reply. I think you are kind of confirming what I already thought. Unless you want the sound of the EQs, preamps and any clipping, then if you watch our for headroom it should pass what you want in and out fairly transparently..? You're not going to kind of 'ruin' something that has been tracked through the lovely SSL sound by then passing it through thr Mackie (noting the above..)
sinewavves

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 pm

Does used figure into the equation?
Zukan

Postby sinewavves » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Like used gear? Yeah it will be used either way most likely...
sinewavves

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Because you can pick up some insane deals on used top quality consoles. Larkings List used to have all manner of juicy consoles for little money.
Zukan