You are here

Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:41 am

AlasdairEaston wrote:Any plugin $29.99 (with a few exceptions, notably the SSL 9000J, Desmond :( )

Yep, I was expecting this. It's OK, I'll stop GAS-ing on the J until some point I can pick it up for a more palatable price.
I have the SSL Native ChannelStrip for some J-inspired stuff anyway. :thumbup:

AlasdairEaston wrote:I think I might have everything I need or that I can justify now though.

Me too, pretty much...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby AlasdairEaston » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:56 am

desmond wrote:
AlasdairEaston wrote:I think I might have everything I need or that I can justify now though.

Me too, pretty much...

Except I've just bought the Opticon XLA-3! :headbang: In my (flimsy) defence, I'm trying to arm myself with versions of the classics, and that's filled a gap in my armoury there. Now there's the Purple Audio MC-77 and another voucher code coming... I should give up fighting it! I can see what's going to happen. :lol:
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Cripes I just got that deal too! What am I going to buy? GAS is kicking in!
I’ll be re-reading this thread a lot. I’ve accumulated a number of UAD plugs over the years. Desmond’s comments about how some of the first gen UAD plugs are quite good resonates with me. His comparison review a few comments back is also something I’ve been thinking about.
My situation is more of requiring a plug(s) for individual stems, so it would be a plug I have to use up to 8 times (once on each stem) rather than once on the master bus. Perhaps it’s fine to use a channel strip 8 times. Sorry just thinking out loud here in case anyone is in the same boat and has some suggestions. On the final stem fader I usually use an EQ to remove anything below 50 Hz, rarely I’ll use a compressor as I try to get it all to sit right before it hits the final fader. But I’m liking this idea of running the music through a “character” plug set to virtually no change. Time for some listening tests!
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:51 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Perhaps it’s fine to use a channel strip 8 times. Sorry just thinking out loud here in case anyone is in the same boat and has some suggestions.

Those channel strips are really efficient. As it happens, I've got a Reaper session in front of me here with 90-odd tracks, and about 70 or 80 of them have the bx_console N on them.*

I have a pretty beefy PC but it's not *insanely* powerful (it's an i9 9900, 32Gb, built specifically for music production by Scan.co.uk). So far I haven't had to worry about whether I can apply these plug ins or not. I just stick them on and it all keeps rolling, so far. I'm not sure how to judge their effect if you're already near the limits of your computer though.

* - number of tracks is not in any way linked to the quality of the musical results :lol:
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Yeah, I was using about 40-odd instances of the BX console N on a track recently and in combination they were less of a drain than a single reverb instance.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Also, PSA: this one is a fabulous tool, and the best of this type of tool I've come across:

Metric AB
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ricab.html

The ability to play your current mix, and instantly compare mid-playback to early rough/working mixes is great (to check you're *actually* making improvements), alongside the usual purpose of referencing to other tracks, and the tools to compare the various loudness, frequency response characteristics is super useful too.

If you don't have this, it's a good 'un, and a good time to jump onboard.

Just a friendly tip from your local SOS plugin pusher... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:40 pm

Hmm. I have been keeping an eye on that but it's still at $199 for me. Which is fine because I won't be in the market again until bonus pay day comes round and I already have a bit of a shortlist of stuff I'm interested in.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:Hmm. I have been keeping an eye on that but it's still at $199 for me.

See the voucher code on the front page of the PA site. Gives you *any plugin for $30 + VAT.

(See Alasdair's post on the previous page.)

* Except the ones I want. :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

desmond wrote:Also, PSA: this one is a fabulous tool, and the best of this type of tool I've come across:

Metric AB
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ricab.html

The ability to play your current mix, and instantly compare mid-playback to early rough/working mixes is great (to check you're *actually* making improvements), alongside the usual purpose of referencing to other tracks, and the tools to compare the various loudness, frequency response characteristics is super useful too.

If you don't have this, it's a good 'un, and a good time to jump onboard.

Just a friendly tip from your local SOS plugin pusher... ;)

:thumbup: :thumbup: I'm a fan. It's made a big difference to my mixes, and to the confidence I have in them. And it cuts out a lot of trial and error, trying to work out exactly where the problems lie, or why your mix sounds so different to your reference tracks. Maybe more experienced hands don't need this but I wouldn't be without it now. :thumbup:
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm

desmond wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Hmm. I have been keeping an eye on that but it's still at $199 for me.

See the voucher code on the front page of the PA site. Gives you *any plugin for $30 + VAT.

(See Alasdair's post on the previous page.)

* Except the ones I want. :lol:
Ah yes, RTFT and all that! :D

Well we're still a few weeks away from pay day so I'll probably just be waiting for the next time it comes around.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I've been using Mastering The Mix's Reference but bought Metric AB today. It has better tools and looks perfect for my needs. I get PA emails every day with loyalty codes, discount coupons etc. I picked this up for $35 inc using one of their coupons.
Zukan

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Zukan wrote:I've been using Mastering The Mix's Reference but bought Metric AB today. It has better tools and looks perfect for my needs. I get PA emails every day with loyalty codes, discount coupons etc. I picked this up for $35 inc using one of their coupons.

It's really good. I'm sure that once you settle in to it you will much prefer it and come to the same opinion about it as myself... :thumbup:

Now, what else can I pimp..! :lol:

(I'm not on commission to SSL or PA, honest! ;) )

Did you see G-Force have released a fabulous new Oberheim 8-Voice emulation..? :bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 pm

I must say I do like that Vertigo VSM-3...and the VSC-2 is also very useful. TBH, I have a ton of PA plugins and can say that I do use almost all of them but then I do make sure not to duplicate topologies I already own. I have a gazillion eqs, comps, limiters etc so unless it offers me something different I won't replicate. After all, how many 1176s do you really need? The tart in me says 'all of them' but the broke ass producer says 'be strong Ed, drift not to the dark side'.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:18 pm

I wonder if the Knif Audio Knifonium is included in the any plugin for $29.99 deal?

It's not mentioned in the list of exclusions, but then none of the other instruments are in that list either, somehow I doubt it :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I wonder if the Knif Audio Knifonium is included in the any plugin for $29.99 deal?(

Yes it is.

In fact you could have had it for $15 + VAT a few weeks back (PA Offer for $40, minus your $25 voucher)
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext