You are here

Pro Tools to Logic

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pro Tools to Logic

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 pm

nickle15 wrote:Catalina or newer is required to purchase Logic from the App store - just so everyone knows. And Apple does not have a way to sell me a copy that is compatible with Mojave. So that's that. :-|

So I was going to mention this earlier, but didn't for reasons of time and brevity - sorry.

What Apple appear to have done in the last year or so (because previously this used to work), is prevent people *buying* software when the software requires a newer OS than the customer is running.

I assume they've done this to avoid people buying stuff that then doesn't work and complaining/asking for refunds etc.

So if you log into the AppStore on a Catalina machine, *buy* Logic there, you'll be able to buy it and it will show up as purchased. Then you can go back to your Mojave machine, and install it, where the AppStore will say "The software is incompatible with your OS, do you want to download the most recent compatible version".

However, I can understand that this might be just too much of a faff to bother with. Just one of the (many) issues I have with the AppStore customer experience...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nickle15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:33 am

desmond wrote:
nickle15 wrote:Catalina or newer is required to purchase Logic from the App store - just so everyone knows. And Apple does not have a way to sell me a copy that is compatible with Mojave. So that's that. :-|

So I was doing to mention this earlier, but didn't for reasons of time and brevity - sorry.

What Apple appear to have done in the last year or so (because previously this used to work), is prevent people *buying* software when the software requires a newer OS than the customer is running.

I assume they've done this to avoid people buying stuff that then doesn't work and complaining/asking for refunds etc.

So if you log into the AppStore on a Catalina machine, *buy* Logic there, you'll be able to buy it and it will show up as purchased. Then you can go back to your Mojave machine, and install it, where the AppStore will say "The software is incompatible with your OS, do you want to download the most recent compatible version".

However, I can understand that this might be just too much of a faff to bother with. Just one of the (many) issues I have with the AppStore customer experience...

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I don’t have a Catalina machine but I just decided to maintain my Pro Tools subscription at this moment. It was the easiest thing to do as I can’t afford to buy it outright just now.
nickle15
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:15 am

You can get Perpetual license with 1 year of upgrades for $450 on ebay.

If you pay $39 per month for a monthly license you will spend the same amount in one year’s time.

The monthly subscription is only for folks who want to expense the license and charge the client.

May I suggest that you use ProTools Free version for the next year. Dive in and learn ProTools. Just live with the track count limitation by bouncing. Save $39 per month in your piggy bank. The after a year buy it outright.

The only meaningful limitation of the free protools is that you can only use plugins bought on their app store.

It takes a year to learn how to use the stock protools plugins though. So just focus on those.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby nickle15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:32 am

DC-Choppah wrote:You can get Perpetual license with 1 year of upgrades for $450 on ebay.

If you pay $39 per month for a monthly license you will spend the same amount in one year’s time.

The monthly subscription is only for folks who want to expense the license and charge the client.

May I suggest that you use ProTools Free version for the next year. Dive in and learn ProTools. Just live with the track count limitation by bouncing. Save $39 per month in your piggy bank. The after a year buy it outright.

The only meaningful limitation of the free protools is that you can only use plugins bought on their app store.

It takes a year to learn how to use the stock protools plugins though. So just focus on those.

Thanks. Those are some great thoughts and I’ll definitely ponder them. I can get around fairly well in PT and used the free version for a number of months before jumping into the full program. I have several 3rd party plugins that I use regularly so it would be tough to let those go. Also the track limitation would be, well, limiting. If I had the cash sitting around I’d definitely just grab the perpetual license - but I don’t at the moment. I plan to work towards it though. Thanks again for the tips and guidance!
nickle15
Regular

Postby nickle15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:47 am

nickle15 wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:You can get Perpetual license with 1 year of upgrades for $450 on ebay.

Thanks. Those are some great thoughts and I’ll definitely ponder them. I can get around fairly well in PT and used the free version for a number of months before jumping into the full program. I have several 3rd party plugins that I use regularly so it would be tough to let those go. Also the track limitation would be, well, limiting. If I had the cash sitting around I’d definitely just grab the perpetual license - but I don’t at the moment. I plan to work towards it though. Thanks again for the tips and guidance!

Heh. Just figured out I can buy through Sweetwater at 0% for 24 months, making it $25/month. So, less than the monthly rental fee. Paying a little more than the eBay price but I can afford the payment so I feel good. Thanks! :)
nickle15
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm

I was just going to jump in and ask why you wanted Logic specifically. but I read your OP and that last post so it looks like you are sorted. But for the benefit of others who might come across this thread In future Reaper is a very cost effective DAW that runs on almost any operating system*. Versions are available from the original public release V0.40 from 2005 up to the current V6.23 (I realise the regulars are probably fed up of me banging on about Reaper and acoustic treatment but I preach as one of the converted :D ).

* as well as old versions that will run on pretty much any computer built this century there are current versions for Windows (back to XP), Mac from OS 10.5 (intel and Apple Silicon), Linux and Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:31 pm

...and there's the obligatory Reaper mention.

Anyone want to jump in an extol the virtues of Acustica plugins? Then the thread will be complete... :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Well, since you mention it, i do rather like Taupe...

;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:24 pm

desmond wrote:...and there's the obligatory Reaper mention.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Anyone want to jump in an extol the virtues of Acustica plugins? Then the thread will be complete... :lol:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:31 pm

For what it's worth, I think Reaper and Logic are slightly different beasts. They both have the same capability but Logic comes with so much more included.
Horses for courses. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:42 pm

True, Logic commands a significant premium too though (nearly four times the price) and, the OP's issue was that he could not buy a version of Logic that would run on his DAW. That latter was the main reason for my posting about Reaper. The current version is as near to universal as you can get and, in that respect at least, is way ahead of all the 'competition'
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:34 pm

nickle15 wrote:
nickle15 wrote:Thanks. Those are some great thoughts and I’ll definitely ponder them. I can get around fairly well in PT and used the free version for a number of months before jumping into the full program. I have several 3rd party plugins that I use regularly so it would be tough to let those go. Also the track limitation would be, well, limiting. If I had the cash sitting around I’d definitely just grab the perpetual license - but I don’t at the moment. I plan to work towards it though. Thanks again for the tips and guidance!

Heh. Just figured out I can buy through Sweetwater at 0% for 24 months, making it $25/month. So, less than the monthly rental fee. Paying a little more than the eBay price but I can afford the payment so I feel good. Thanks! :)

Just something that might be worth a mention, and apologies if you already know... Perpetual licences for Pro Tools include a years "upgrade plan" which gives you access to any updates/new versions for the 12 months after you install your perpetual licence, and then if you don't renew it the following year the version you're on is yours and will keep working indefinitely. All pretty obvious stuff so far, however, Avid used to sell "Reinstatement Plans" which would allow you to start up the Upgrade Plan again after it had lapsed, if you wanted to get back up to date again. These now don't exist, and I would imagine by now that any stocks of codes at resellers have all gone, so if you have a perpetual licence and a new update contains a feature that you really want or need then the only way to get it will be to buy a new perpetual licence (obviously very expensive for what's essentially just an upgrade) or to crossgrade to a subscription licence.

If you know the version you pick will be all that you need, then it's probably less of a bother, but it's worth keeping in mind because otherwise it can start to add up to quite a lot when compared to a lot of the alternatives.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby nickle15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Luke W wrote:
nickle15 wrote:
nickle15 wrote:Thanks. Those are some great thoughts and I’ll definitely ponder them. I can get around fairly well in PT and used the free version for a number of months before jumping into the full program. I have several 3rd party plugins that I use regularly so it would be tough to let those go. Also the track limitation would be, well, limiting. If I had the cash sitting around I’d definitely just grab the perpetual license - but I don’t at the moment. I plan to work towards it though. Thanks again for the tips and guidance!

Just something that might be worth a mention, and apologies if you already know... Perpetual licences for Pro Tools include a years "upgrade plan" which gives you access to any updates/new versions for the 12 months after you install your perpetual licence, and then if you don't renew it the following year the version you're on is yours and will keep working indefinitely. All pretty obvious stuff so far, however, Avid used to sell "Reinstatement Plans" which would allow you to start up the Upgrade Plan again after it had lapsed, if you wanted to get back up to date again. These now don't exist, and I would imagine by now that any stocks of codes at resellers have all gone, so if you have a perpetual licence and a new update contains a feature that you really want or need then the only way to get it will be to buy a new perpetual licence (obviously very expensive for what's essentially just an upgrade) or to crossgrade to a subscription licence.

If you know the version you pick will be all that you need, then it's probably less of a bother, but it's worth keeping in mind because otherwise it can start to add up to quite a lot when compared to a lot of the alternatives.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have read through the info about updates and it's something I considered quite a bit before getting the perpetual license. I follow your line of thinking and had arrived at the same conclusion - and I do hope what I've got is all I'll need. I certainly can't imagine needing anything else at this point anyway. And I have free updates for the next year so that's something at least. I appreciate you sharing this insight!
nickle15
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Try Reaper - it does more, much more!

PT to Logic to Reaper to anything - AA-Translator is the programme for you. $199 for the latest version. https://www.aatranslator.com.au/

Avoid paying $199 by importing and exporting time-stamped WAV files. (Spot on import/export is the command - no, I don't know why either! In Reaper it's 'Source preferred position' another silly phrase instead of Time Stamp.)
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nickle15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:48 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Try Reaper - it does more, much more!

PT to Logic to Reaper to anything - AA-Translator is the programme for you. $199 for the latest version. https://www.aatranslator.com.au/

Avoid paying $199 by importing and exporting time-stamped WAV files. (Spot on import/export is the command - no, I don't know why either! In Reaper it's 'Source preferred position' another silly phrase instead of Time Stamp.)

Thanks! :thumbup:
nickle15
Regular

Previous