You are here

Help for a friend

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Help for a friend

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:39 am

Hi all,

I have a friend who is having problems with his Windows setup. I, being a Mac person (sorry about that) find I can't really advise him so I thought I'd ask for advice on his behalf. Here's his problem:

Help....anyone.....technical crisis!
I had a sound set up which worked perfectly. I have a standard dynamic microphone (sm58) going through a Behringer Xenyx 302 USB interface into my Windows 10 laptop and playback through the interface to headphones/speakers.

A few nights ago I was prompted to update Windows 10 which I did, and ever since I can't get playback. Infuriatingly, the mic interface (through USB Audio Codec) still works so that I can record with it! Online chatboards suggest a driver issue, so I've downloaded ASIO4all but that routes everything through the laptop mic and speakers bypassing the interface completely

99% of you will have long ago zoned out - but if by any chance this has happened to you and you have found a way round it, I'd really love to know.

The Xenyx 302 is a small USB equipped mixer. He was previously using the Behringer driver for the thing. Behringer suggest ASIO4all is a suitable driver for the thing and indeed link to it on their website.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

TIA

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Re: Help for a friend

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:53 am

His Windows sound settings are probably pointing to some other device - maybe an internal sound card.

He just need to go there, for example clicking the Start menu, starting to type "Sound Settings" (without quotes) and open the app; and then check out that his output device is set to the Berry,
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:21 pm

I spoke to him earlier because that was one of my suspicions. Before installing ASIO4all both input and output were set to "USB Audio CODEC" (what it's supposed to be according to the Xenyx manual). After installing ASIO4all "USB Audio CODEC" had disappeared as an option for output. That would explain the problem except the problem was there before ASIO4all was installed.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:26 pm

I would then suggest removing the damned ASIO4All (never a good idea was so abused) and reinstall the Berry driver?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:21 pm

I'll suggest that.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Yep, what CS70 said. I'd wager a whole english pound that it's the windows sound settings defaulting to an internal card.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:54 pm

It looks like the only driver available on Behringer's site is ASIO4all! I've just downloaded all the software on their 302 page and there isn't a driver amongst it. All there is is a link to ASIO4all's website. Now my friend's original post mentioned something called USB Audio Codec which sounds promising. Could this be part of W10, like a driver for class compliant kit or something of that nature? If the W10 update fudged around with that it might be the reason.

Any ideas what USB Audio Codec is?

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:After installing ASIO4all "USB Audio CODEC" had disappeared as an option for output.

Are you talking about an option in Windows, the audio program he's using, or the Asio4All control panel...? I'm not generally a fan of Asio4All but it does have its uses sometimes. Its own control panel is slightly confusing, and I'm wondering if they've actually investigated that. It might simplify things if he disables any audio devices he's not using in Device Manager. If the Behringer's own driver had stopped working before anything else, and it's something they've installed with an entry in Add/Remove Programs, I'd probably start by getting rid of that as well (even if only to reinstall).
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:30 pm

What program is he using for recording? It may well have its own audio port settings independent to the Windows system ones.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:52 pm

BJG145 wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:After installing ASIO4all "USB Audio CODEC" had disappeared as an option for output.

Are you talking about an option in Windows

This, as I understand it.

Does anyone recognise the phrase "USB Audio CODEC"? :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:29 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:It looks like the only driver available on Behringer's site is ASIO4all! I've just downloaded all the software on their 302 page and there isn't a driver amongst it. All there is is a link to ASIO4all's website. Now my friend's original post mentioned something called USB Audio Codec which sounds promising. Could this be part of W10, like a driver for class compliant kit or something of that nature? If the W10 update fudged around with that it might be the reason.

Any ideas what USB Audio Codec is?

Cheers,

CC

There should be a Behringer USB driver, whatever it is. It's mentioned that Asio4All is a possible alternative to it.

If there isn't, since Windows is configured to use Asio4All as sound device, your friends need to configure Asio4All in Asio4All. The manual is a good starting point?

Asio4All wraps around any available WDM driver, so the interface should be visible from the Asio4All configuration, and probably needs simply to be "checked" to activate it.

Alternatively, the WDM drivers can be wrong - ask him to post a screenshot of his Device Manager tree with the sound devices showing so we can see what the Berry looks like there.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:02 pm

USB Audio Codec means that there's a class compliant audio device attached to the computer. This is normal for Behringer's budget interfaces and I guess they use the same chips for their USB mixers. So your friend either needs to choose the USB Audio Codec as their output or use ASIO4All and select the USB Audio Codec in its control panel.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:21 pm

Hi James. You've confirmed what I thought, which would suggest my friend's problem stems from he did the W10 "upgrade" which shafted in some way the inbuilt class-compliant drivers. My friend now reports:

I've now uninstalled ASIO4all as there are number of critics of it and installed Flex ASIO which was recommended. That at least gives me input from the interface but still insists on routing playback through the inbuilt speakers. That at least gives me a working solution for most of my needs, but it's not ideal as I don't then have direct monitoring and have much less control over levels than I previously had.

So that takes the urgency out of the situation a little but it's still not ideal. Assuming my hypothesis is correct and the W10 update is responsible for buggering things up (Mac technical term there, sorry) is there any way of repairing the class-compliant driver?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far, BTW, much appreciated by both of us.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:00 pm

I've had similar issues in the past with other USB devices misbehaving which I have sorted by using Device Manager to remove the misbehaving device drivers:

With it disconnected, you can get Device Manager to show all devices it knows about regardless whether it is currently connected, so find the device in the list and open it, and select to remove it (removing the drivers too if it gives you that option). Then reboot, and reconnect the device to let Windows find it anew.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:49 pm

I'll pass that on, Rich, thanks.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Next