You are here

Mix Critique - Seven Sisters (Symphonic Doom Metal)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mix Critique - Seven Sisters (Symphonic Doom Metal)

Postby Dormivore » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:45 pm

I recorded a very low-budget, DIY demo for my friend's solo project. I was stuck with low quality mics (mostly SM57's), some bad mic placement (kick drum picks up bleed), and a terrible drum kit. This was also my first audio project of this magnitude, done a few DIY demos before but nothing with so many instruments. With all this in mind, I know the mix can sound a lot better but I'm not sure where to improve.

https://noctobre.bandcamp.com/track/seven-sisters

The main weakness IMO is the vocals, I didn't feel like it does justice to the singer's deep voice. The vox don't sit well in the mix, but the low end is already pretty crowded with bass and drop-tuned guitars. Recorded at home with an AKG Perception 200. Could better EQ/comp save the vocal mix, or is the only solution to re-record?

This mix was completed at the very last minute too, so there are some obvious bits of clipping and volume imbalance. Not as concerned with those as the general mix and EQ.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as I'll be remixing soon.
Dormivore

Re: Mix Critique - Seven Sisters (Symphonic Doom Metal)

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:33 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

This mix...

On the positive side, there's some capable playing, some good ideas and a few nice touches here, but...

It really needs a lot of re-work from the ground up - and some re-performing, at least in the case of the vocals.

If you want to primarily concentrate on the sound of the mix then first and foremost the drums probably need sample replacement, because what you have right now really isn't going to cut it. They sound very weak and being so tightly mono isn't helping them either. The kick drum has no bite and the toms are just lost.

The guitars need to be brighter. The bass needs more bite... Everything needs more energy and menace if the vocals aren't going to sound so uncomfortably exposed...

Not trying to be cruel, but realistically honest. :cry:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dormivore » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, this is definitely an amateur-level production so constructive criticism is exactly what I need. I had the feeling that all the instruments need to fill in their respective space more so the vocals aren't overpowering. Sounds like I need to pull some low-end out of the guitars to let the bass punch more. There's already an overdrive bus on the bass which I had trouble getting to speak.
Dormivore

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm

Really not my genre, but if I was trying to rework it, I'd start with the drums, as The Elf says, they've really not got enough bite.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:47 pm

Dormivore wrote:Thanks for the feedback, this is definitely an amateur-level production so constructive criticism is exactly what I need. I had the feeling that all the instruments need to fill in their respective space more so the vocals aren't overpowering. Sounds like I need to pull some low-end out of the guitars to let the bass punch more. There's already an overdrive bus on the bass which I had trouble getting to speak.
Thank you for taking the criticism in good spirit. :thumbup:

I'd say forget about the guitars and bass for the moment. They really aren't the big problem here.

Get some good-sounding drums driving the song and I think you'll have a better perspective on the song, and mix, as a whole. Then get some bite and grit into the guitars and you'll be back on your way.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.