You are here

I UPGRADED from a Rode M3 (condenser) to a Behringer XM8500! (dynamic) - The devil's in the details

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I UPGRADED from a Rode M3 (condenser) to a Behringer XM8500! (dynamic) - The devil's in the details

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:10 pm

ef37a wrote:Yes CS70, my point about attenuating the capacitor mic should have included the fact that with lower sensitivity you have to get closer to the mic. That is the thing that reduces 'room' effects.
All about that 'Critical Distance'.

Of course, at just 50mm or so from the mic OP will need a good pop filter.

Dave.

Yes good point!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: I UPGRADED from a Rode M3 (condenser) to a Behringer XM8500! (dynamic) - The devil's in the details

Postby dfira » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:10 pm

So I thought I would just upload recordings and you can hear for yourself....

M3: https://soundcloud.com/arifd/m3-1/s-vPpqLHF5zZM
XM8500: https://soundcloud.com/arifd/xm8500/s-WqWJMh8PF67

It's actually a perfect demo because you hear traffic in the background of both towards the end.
dfira
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:57 pm

blinddrew wrote:I bought an Aston Stealth a few months ago and I've been pretty impressed with it. It has 4 'voicing' options, two of which are horrible, but the other two are both very workable.
But I primarily recommend it here because it seems to have very good off-axis rejection.
Not cheap, but probably a good investment. In the 'good investment' category, have a think about a Beyer M201 as well.

But actual cheap dynamics, my preference is for the AKG D5. It's the nicest stage dynamic I've heard under £100. And being a stage dynamic it expects to be worked very close which will help reduce the effect of your room and background noise.

Or just get a '57 and know that you've got something that will be eternally useful. :)

I’ve got a 57 and a 201, the 57 gets used the most, it’s a useful all rounder.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Previous