I'm a totally noob trying to learn some of the ins and outs of recording audio. Specifically, I want to record acoustic guitar to send to my guitar teacher as we're still not doing in-person lessons due to covid.
Anyway, I don't have crazy aspirations of producing professional music, I just wanted to be able to make a quality recording and so I got a Samson C01 condenser mic and a Presonus Studio 24c. After hooking it all up and making some test recordings, I've found a few things that were unexpected (at least to me).
1. I don't get any audible output unless I turn the gain way up on the mic output and by way up I mean I literally hear nothing until the gain knob is about 3/4 of the way to max and its incredibly quiet unless I basically max the gain. This brings me to my other issue.
2. There is a high pitched whine in the audio. It kinda sounds like the ringing in my ears I used to get when I willingly damaged my hearing going to Megadeth concerts when I was young
The first issue, from what I've read is pretty common so not sure there's much to do there. The second one is strange and I'm not sure what to do with it. I tried reading up on it here and on other forums and these are the things I've tried to do to solve the issue and\or narrow it down to a certain cause:
* I've tried turning off everything I don't need to have on in case it was a ground loop issue. Turned everything off except the PC, one monitor and the interface.
* Switched to my laptop running off of batt with the interface plugged directly into it (no powered USB bus)
* switched headphones
* switched USB cables
* switched the XLR to the other input
None of those have worked. The noise comes through recordings made in OBS and Windows Camera App. If I plug headphones into the interface, I don't hear any whine - just room noise, which I expect.
I haven't tried swapping the mic or the XLR cable (haven't had time yet). Before I go spend more money, I thought I'd check in with this forum.
My setup is as follows:
- Windows 10 PC with all the latest updates
Samson C01 plugged into interface via XLR
Presonus Studio 24c interface plugged into PC via USB
Recording with OBS and Windows Camera App
My interface has 48v phantom power for both inputs and its on
does anyone have any ideas on what this whine is and what else I can try to fix it or at least isolate what the issue is? I'm happy to upload an audio file demonstrating the issue and posting the link if anyone thinks that would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!