You are here

New Behringer X32 Compact with SD16 and SD8 with cables ARRIVED TODAY

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

New Behringer X32 Compact with SD16 and SD8 with cables ARRIVED TODAY

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Finally completed my wish list today with the arrival of the LONG AWAITED X32 compact. Came with flight case, the SD16 and SD8 with linking cables. Now the fun and games to see if I can configure the routing so my setup can all talk to each other. Need to order the x-live expansion card and SDcards, more money more fun then ready for the return of live music !!

Sadly it came from a Music company that has been forced to close down due to the pandemic. Really do feel for those people out there suffering due to this event, I know its not much fun.

It just might have to reside in the middle of my small music room and act as an improvised coffee table when not in use? covered with a water resistant table cover of course and its lid on !! geess its big, the full version would have been absolute OVER KILL

wish me luck, I might need it.
uselessoldman
Regular

Re: New Behringer X32 Compact with SD16 and SD8 with cables ARRIVED TODAY

Postby zout » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:14 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I got mine less than a month ago!

And i m very pleased...
I dont believe you ll need luck though!

It s pretty instinctive, and what you cannot find straight away seems answered in the user manual..!

I d check the firmware version and install the latest !

Enjoy it!
zout
Poster
zout

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:39 am

I've only scratched the surface, despite having my X32 Compact for quite a while, but happy to help if I can. Stick a post on here and I'll find it :thumbup: .
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby uselessoldman » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:05 am

END OF - Day One (progress impressions feedback)

This mixer serves 3 purposes (I hope).

DAW controller (ONLY) using my Sapphire Liquid 56 (with ADAT Expansion) as the audio interface since it is already wired up to all the amps and racked with DI box, mic splitters, patch panel

DAW Controller and integrated Audio Interface - Studio/Live multi-track recording with computer plugged in

Standalone mixer with multitrack recording using x-live card (no computer connected direct Multitrack record to SDCards)

So what did I manage to achieve on the first day (a few hours messing about oops its 6am, a LOT of messing about).

Updated mixer to latest firmware via USB (Painless)
since its on the network why no update choice over internet OK that was not a good start.

Installed xedit software and x32-USB Drivers (Painless)

Configured X32 Mixer for remote using USB Card cabled up booted up.

I have DAW control of sorts. When you press the mixers Remote button the DAW track channels can be controller by the 8 right faders.
If you have more than 8 channels you can bank up/down in groups of 8 or individually sort of
If you have say 13 tracks it will bank up and fader 16 is in fact channel 13 or the last on the song up to 16 the last one? effin clever Behringer NOT
Bank up 3 times and faders control volume and panning (aaaugh??) I guess assuming there is no more tracks above 16? not tried that yet
Bank up 4 times same as above huh. I assume these can be configued somewhere, not so sure???

Using the matrix button I have DAW transport control, I also configured the custom assign buttons to do this

OK so in remote control mode the faders control the volume inputs BUT the volume level strip thingies are actually the outputs assigned on the DAW?

Thoughts, yeah its confusing but I am sure I will get my head round it. Its BLOODY HEAVY and this is ONLY the Compact version with the flight case its seriously heavy !!
How much does the Midas M32 M32R weigh?
Faders are OK nothing like Alps but then Alps faders cost mega bucks in comparison. buttons are GOOD and the LCD screen is awesome. Working your way around the screen is easy understanding what it all means - erm yeah right ok I will get back to u on that

DAW control is clearly an after thought, SADLY cos clearly the mixer could have been built and designed a lot better and do a lot more. THIS IS NOT A DAW controller, it has some very limited control but that is it, BUT thats cool, I have a Native Instruments Komplete S49 and that does EVERYTHING else I need, contol vsts/Kontact instruments etc
What it does give me is control using 8 faders/channels at a time, GREAT for mixing, I can move channels to where I want for automation.
DAW control was an added bonus for me, I want to take it to gigs record them take the MULTI TRACK recordings home and have some fun.

The USB drivers are actually custom ASIO so I will try using the multi asio driver and see what happens, I have it somewhere on another computer.
I think you can get a utility that lets you change the midicc messages so you can customise them, that might be useful. It sits in the middle of the DAW and DAW controller and you can custom assign cc as u like
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm

I agree that the X32 DAW control is pretty underwhelming, to refine it a little head over to Patrick-Giles Maillot's page here https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32 I haven't use his apps as I don't use DAW control as I record and mix through the X32 (and I'm on a Mac) but they have a good rep on the Berry X32 forum and elsewhere.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 pm

I think most DAW controllers are a bit of a compromise in reality. I have three set up here and they get used all the time for basic stuff (levels and panning, EQ and compression, transport controls, bus soloing/muting etc) but as soon as you get to anything more complex you're always going to be reaching for the mouse or keyboard.
For me, and my workflow, this level of compromise works and is more efficient. But there's a reason you see a lot of controllers for sale second hand... (or sat on a back shelf of a studio somewhere with the manual and a mental note saying 'must get round to learning how to use this properly') ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 pm

+1

Nobody believes me until they find out for themselves.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby uselessoldman » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:38 pm

AS I said on another post I have owned a Yamaha 01x since new (20 years) so I knew what to expect. People claim the X32 was a revolution, nope cos the 01x did most if not everything the x32 can, except be a standalone recorder. I actually find the S49 really good for controlling vst/instruments, and with a touchscreen tablet, they covers almost all scenarios.

I bought the x32 for a good price and it included flight case the SD16 and SD8 with attaching cables (good ones), so I would always get my money back if I decide it wasn't for me. That said I have a few options and ideas and probably have a few months left yet before the end of lockdown to decide what its future might be. I had actually approached the Company to hire it for a weekend but he said they was thinking of selling it, so I bought it.

Clearly it could replace all my rack stuff, BUT I think thats silly one the Sapphire Liquid has superior preamps significantly higher bit rate (although I think 48/32 is good enough for my needs) and its modular so flexible.

When Behringer finish their DAW and we see the end of this madness they call a pandemic, and they get a new version sorted, I think it might be a little special, the Wing on steroids. But like the WIng the price will increase substantially. For the money, the X32 is a seal, after all their xtouch costs half the price and offers a fraction of the functionality. Its the same price as a new Mackie MCU Pro !! Its a bargain !! for small\home studios or someone who uses it live especially since it can multi track record on top. THere is not a lot this thing cannot do
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 am

Yup, the X32 was not a game changer because it did more than the other 'budget' (relatively) digital desks but because to was half the price of the cheapest alternative or less. That that alternative did less was incidental 'cos electronic stuff gets more powerful and flexible with every new development.

The X32 is primarily a live desk everything else is a bonus (though, being digital, is not entirely unexpected).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:48 am

The Music Group (Behringer Midas TC ELectronis Klark Teknik) clearly have a business strategy in mind, taking on the music industry. They have some touch competition and really do need to get some creative minds to see through the product better. IN the end a digital mixer is nothing but a computer and a few faders buttons and knobs. Imagine if it run LINUX or a form of windows and you could import any compatible vst dlls and presets? It would be mind blowing fun.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:41 am

uselessoldman wrote: Imagine if it run LINUX or a form of windows and you could import any compatible vst dlls and presets? It would be mind blowing fun.

The Avid Venue supports AAX plugins

https://www.avid.com/products/venue-s6l-system

And of course you could roll your own using an embedded PC and your favourite DAW software. I've used SSL's Soundscape software as a live mixer with a control surface though the only third party plug-in in use was a reverb.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:13 pm

Interesting what you find with a few minutes Googling (don't forget to perform safe Googling boys and girls and always use Startpage ;) ). The processor in the X32 is an ARM® 926EJ-STM, I doubt it will be specially modified so might well be capable of running Linux if somebody had the will to develop a suitable distro...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:always use Startpage
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:46 pm

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtrL6c85OL0Upm3Ih9hL43dA2gSk

OK so it took me all of 3 days to work the routing out. Why so long might you ask? Cos I am thick !! erm yeah ok but I am running 10 channels (bus thingies) from the PC out to the amps 'n speakers. That is PC/DAW to the x32 over USB out via XLR to the Sapphire Liquid and then to the 3 amps and Studio Monitors and then EVERNTUALLY some speakers. I run 3 power amps cos I have separate channels for vocals/drums Guitars/synths and Kick/Bass. with 2 channels for the studio monitors and another 2 user channels for actually playing the guitars and synth I have that go to other amps or where ever I choose.

So it was quite a ball ache cos everything has to be right or channel go to the wrong destination, obviously. Voice to Bass being one. So is the x32 easy to work, yeah it is, once you get your head around what the eck your trying to achieve. Its actually GREAT FUN to work with.

BUT be warned in DAW mode it can do silly things its NOT PERFECT but when you have your DAW set to use its USB interface its a great mixer !! For me I have the inputs and DAW on the right as its supposed to be BUT I also have the mixer outputs the bus channels on the left so I have control over the mixer outputs. I love the way you can assign DCA and faders on the fly, it would make this thingie an awesome live mixer !!!!!!

For those thinking about the x32 Producer version for a computer audio interface, FORGET IT, you absolutely NEED the channel strips or you will probably get lost in all the menues, its a great reminder of where you are at and what you have configured and set up. and it looks cool
uselessoldman
Regular