You are here

How do I connect Lexicon M200 to Mixwizard 3?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

How do I connect Lexicon M200 to Mixwizard 3?

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Hey guys, I got my son's Allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 this morning but can anyone tell me the best way to connect the Input and Output from the Lexicon to the Mixwiz 3 please?

https://i.postimg.cc/9fhhwY01/mixwiz.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4d2qP6fD/Screen-Sh ... -16-AM.png
mikehende
Regular

Re: How do I connect Lexicon M200 to Mixwizard 3?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:23 pm

It depends what fx you are going to use, if it's delay/reverb based fx then he usual method would be to use a mono, pre-fade aux send to the Lexicon's mono input and return the outputs to either a stereo return or two channels. But I suspect your needs may be different and the other method would be to use two insert leads to patch the Lexicon into the main bus inserts (under the 'LL' in Allen in your pic). That way everything that passes through the mixer to your amps and speakers will pass through the Lexicon on the way.

Try both and see which gets the job done for you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:37 pm

mikehende wrote:Hey guys, I got my son's Allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 this morning but can anyone tell me the best way to connect the Input and Output from the Lexicon to the Mixwiz 3 please?

https://i.postimg.cc/9fhhwY01/mixwiz.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4d2qP6fD/Screen-Sh ... -16-AM.png

The "insert" socket you see is on the mixer is TRS and carries the send on one channel and the return on the other. To process a single mono channel, you use a Y TRS-to-2-TS jack, where the TRS goes in the mixer's socket and the TS cables go in the L (mono) in and out of the Lexi respectively.

To process a stereo source - i.e one which has two channels (say the mains out channel, for which the mixer has insert sockets as well, marked L and R on the left; or simply two mono channels carrying L and R of the stereo source) you do the same, but with two cables, pluggin the Y cable for the left channel into the L in and L out of the Lexi, and the Y cable for the right channel in the R in and R out.

As of the manual "The channel insert is post-HPF, pre-EQ and operates at 0dBu. The LR mix insert is pre-fader."
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Ok guys, appreciate the help and please bear with me as I am new to mixing boards. I am trying to soak in all of this unfamiliar terminology.

Since I have only one stack of speakers bass, mid and highs on a tri-amp config and have been running only my DJ Mixer's R Output into the EQ, I have connected the M jack of the Mixwiz to the EQ and the PC's OUT to Line 1 and 2, all is fine with the sound and power.

I have to say that yes the Mixwiz's sound is a little better right now than the DJ Xone23 mixer, might get even better after my bud comes on the w/e to optimize the entire system.

Now to the main deal, getting my Lexicon and Pioneer Reverb SR303 to work effectively on the Mixwiz.

So I connected the Aux and Line IN on Channel 1 on the mixwiz to the OUT L and R on the Lexicon and the INPUT on the Lexicon L and R to the Insert L and R on the mixwiz. Now I can hardly hear any music. I have the Lexicon's Input knob at Unity and even if I turn it all the way up still the issue. I have the Mix Knob set fully to Wet.

What am I doing wrong please? Also, please note I am using mono 1/4" unbalanced adapters on RCA'S for now but this wasn't an issue when the fx units was connected to the Xone 23.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:28 pm

As CS70 says the insert is a dual purpose socket, it needs a special lead and has both an output and an input in there. Plugging into the inserts without both send and return connected will break the signal which is why you aren't hearing anything. If you want to use the fx as send fx use post-fader* aux sends to feed the inputs of the fx units and return the fx to stereo returns or channels.

* sorry, minor brain f@rt in my previous post when I said 'pre-fade' send :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Alright, let me see if I can understand what you've just written plus what CS70 has written.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:58 pm

Some reading about mixing desk basics would probably help you https://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/the-mixer-and-its-feature

A thought has just occurred to me, you only use a single speaker stack so your rig is mono. How are you getting your source material (laptop?) into the desk, if you don't convert it to mono in some way you could be only hearing one side of the stereo signal?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:03 pm

The laptop's headphone OUT [3.5mm] to the Line IN on channel 1 and 2.

So I set the Direct OUT 1 and 2 to the Pioneer IN and it''s OUT back to ST2 and it's working now. in a little while will try the ST 1 for the Lexicon, will report back.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Using the direct outs will probably (certainly?) mean you aren't using the channel faders and using a stereo channel to return the signal will mean you are only getting left or right depending which main output you are sending to your speakers. What it the Pioneer doing?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:11 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:A thought has just occurred to me, you only use a single speaker stack so your rig is mono. How are you getting your source material (laptop?) into the desk, if you don't convert it to mono in some way you could be only hearing one side of the stereo signal?

Sam, he said he's using the mixer's dedicated Mono output to feed his stack's active crossover/EQ.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:21 pm

:thumbup: But he says "and have been running only my DJ Mixer's R Output into the EQ" so I'm struggling to understand exactly how MikeHende has everything wired.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:42 pm

The Pioneer is working but I will need the bud to work on the entire system hopefully on this coming Sunday if he should have the time. I am just trying to do some experimenting myself meantime and familiarize myself with the unit.

The more I work with the machine the better it sounds, right now it does make a BIG difference from the Xone 23 in terms of output performance and quality.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:52 pm

mikehende wrote:The more I work with the machine the better it sounds, right now it does make a BIG difference from the Xone 23 in terms of output performance and quality.

Bizarre!

Perhaps your X23 was broken... or you're noticing the benefits of balanced connections and the associated removal of ground loop noises...

But from a tech specs point of view, there really is nothing between them.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote::thumbup: But he says "and have been running only my DJ Mixer's R Output into the EQ" so I'm struggling to understand exactly how MikeHende has everything wired.

This might explain what I have done in a better way guys.

So Mixwiz Master OUT to EQ In, EQ OUT to Rane IN, that's pretty much it.
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:58 pm

mikehende wrote:Alright, let me see if I can understand what you've just written plus what CS70 has written.

No worries, this jargon is confusing at start.

A TRS (Tip, Ring and Sleeve) cable is a regular cable, but it can carry two independent signals.

It's called a "stereo" cable, because a stereo signal is made, by definition, by a mono signal for the left sound and another mono signal for the right sound, transported together; for example the "mains out" from the mixer - that goes to the speaker - is a stereo signal So a TRS cable is a compact way capable of transporting around a stereo signal.

The signal that leaves the mixer and goes to the speakers is stereo (because you have two speakers, one on the left and one on the right)

A TS (Tip, Sleeve) cable instead is a cable carrying one signal only. It's called "mono" because, well, it carries only one signal. A regular microphone signal is for example a mono signal (unless of course you are using a stereo microphone :) ).

A signal path that can transport a signal is called "channel" - because the signal flows in it. A channel is made by a sequence of devices connected one after the other. There are stereo channels and mono channels, and a mixer usually allows you to combine a certain number of both - your mixer has 16 mono channels available. Each of them has a preamp, an insert point, an equalizer, a gain control, a fader etc..

(note that "channel" is sometimes used for the two mono components of a stereo signal, like in "left and right channel" - it's not confusing because it's usually quite clear what one's talking about).

The "insert point" is a socket which accepts a TRS (stereo) cable.. and uses its capability to carry two signals in a clever way: the (say) "left" side of the cable is used to send a signal to a mono input of a processor , while the other side is used to return the processed signal. So basically a stereo cable is used to carry a mono signal to the processor and back.

In order to do so you need a cable that uses a TRS jack on the mixer side, but splits into two TS (mono) jacks on the others ide, so you can place one in the input of the processor (to send the mono signal to be processed), and one in the output (to get the mono processed signal back).

Since this cable starts with one and bifurcates in two, it's called a Y cable.

Now your Lexicon is a stereo effect box: it's capable to process two mono signals at the same time. To do so, it has two mono Left and Right inptus and produces two mono Left and Right outputs. Two monos = stereo. As a note, Lexicon could have chosen to use a single TRS socket like the mixer does, but there are reasons for which effects usually don't - mostly ease of chaining mono and stereo effects.

It can also be used in mono (i.e. to process only one signal) by leaving the R input and output empty, with nothing coming in (and therefore nothing coming out). In this case it will notice that there's nothing on the R input and it will adjust how it works accordingly.

So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to process a single mono signal ? You will need only one Y cable (TRS to two TS) , from the channel mixer insert point to the Left side of the Lexicon.

Do you want to process a stereo signal (for example, the entire stereo mix before it reaches the speakers)? Then you will need two Y cables: one for the Left, on for the Right.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Next