You are here

DIY “on on on Switch” HELP, please...

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

DIY “on on on Switch” HELP, please...

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:12 am

Hi!

I’m looking for a three-way toggle switch which can send three different resistors through a circuit depending on which position the switches in

Is there such a thing?
Thanks in Advance!
merseymale
Poster

Re: DIY “on on on Switch” HELP, please...

Postby Albatross » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:55 am

Here's a start, someone will be along to correct this or confirm its correct for you so keep your brass in pocket for a little bit until one of the experts gives you the nod.

https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/2md6t1 ... dp/1550108

Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 am

merseymale wrote:I’m looking for a three-way toggle switch which can send three different resistors through a circuit depending on which position the switches in
Is there such a thing?

Yes. It's generally called a DP3T on-on-on switch. You'll find them at most of the usual electronic component and guitar suppliers. eg:

Or this one from RS components...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7109876/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Switches_Whoop-_-Toggle+Switches_Whoop-_-7109876&matchtype=&pla-338397554856&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

And the wiring for your purpose would be along these Lines (which is similar to the one posted above).

The red, green, and blue ('hot') wires would be wired from (or to) your three different resistors, and the white ('Volume') wire would be the feed to (or from) the switch.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Albatross wrote:Here's a start, someone will be along to correct this or confirm its correct for you so keep your brass in pocket for a little bit until one of the experts gives you the nod.

https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/2md6t1 ... dp/1550108

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I’m afraid that switching paycheques won’t work as will always be more than one position active thanks anyway
(also I should’ve pointed out that I prefer, if possible, for it to be a much bigger switch!)

I’m trying to replace a potentiometer that, depending on the resistance value, sends information to the rest of the circuit…

The idea of the original circuit is if you turn the pot one way you will get one set sound on an electronic musical instrument and if you turn it another way you get another sound; in the centre you get a blend of the two & all shades in between when you move it back and forth

I just want the three sounds: the two extremes and the mix in the middle

This is an active electronics item and not a ‘passive panning’ between two guitar pick ups

thanks!
merseymale
Poster

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
merseymale wrote:I’m looking for a three-way toggle switch which can send three different resistors through a circuit depending on which position the switches in
Is there such a thing?

Yes. It's generally called a DP3T on-on-on switch. You'll find them at most of the usual electronic component and guitar suppliers. eg:

Or this one from RS components...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7109876/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Switches_Whoop-_-Toggle+Switches_Whoop-_-7109876&matchtype=&pla-338397554856&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

And the wiring for your purpose would be along these Lines (which is similar to the one posted above).

The red, green, and blue ('hot') wires would be wired from (or to) your three different resistors, and the white ('Volume') wire would be the feed to (or from) the switch.
Thanks Hugh, it’s very kind of you to take the time but unfortunately those switching matrices won’t work, if I am Understanding them correctly…

Essentially, I’m looking for three simple on/off switches that, when one is in the ON position the other two are always on the OFF!
Is there such a(preferably not subminiature!)thing?
merseymale
Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Does it have to be a toggle? A 4 pole 3 way rotary switch could be configured just about any way you want - they're also cheap as chips.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:36 pm

merseymale wrote:Is there such a thing?

Basically, if ya think of a Gibson Toggle/Selector Switch then that is EXACTLY what I’m looking for in LOOKS but the OPPOSITE of what I’m looking for in operation :-)
merseymale
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 pm

What about a fender Strat style pickup selector switch? But AFAICS Hugh's suggestion would work as you want, connecting only one of A, B or C at a time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:What about a fender Strat style pickup selector switch? But AFAICS Hugh's suggestion would work as you want, connecting only one of A, B or C at a time.

TBH I am clutching at straws here so if a fender style switch work then I’d go for that!
I have looked over what if Hugh has put and it seems to me (of course I could always be wrong!) That there is always more than two contacts in operation at any one time and these “extra contacts“ are connected to the “new/desired contacts”
merseymale
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:29 pm

Folderol's suggestion of a rotary switch would certainly be my choice here if I was replacing a potentiometer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:39 pm

Wonks wrote:Folderol's suggestion of a rotary switch would certainly be my choice here if I was replacing a potentiometer.

... I suppose so… But even then which one would I get that would have separate contacts and not link them all together in some way or another?

I was trying to get away from an a knob & use a toggle as a direct replacement as I prefer just to have a switch you can visibly see which position it’s in -essentially it’s a rotary knob already and I’m trying to get away from this but as I say, if there is no toggle switch that exists then which rotary switch should I get?

I’ve toyed with the idea of adding or subtracting different “leaves“ from a Gibson toggle switch but even then I’m not sure how to do it!

I was hoping that someone might recognise this kind of switch as already existing (either toggle or rotary) from another type of circuit with a different use and could point me to it
merseymale
Poster

Postby merseymale » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Folderol wrote:Does it have to be a toggle? A 4 pole 3 way rotary switch could be configured just about any way you want - they're also cheap as chips.

I suppose I WILL HAVE to go this route -thanks. ;-)
merseymale
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm

merseymale wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:What about a fender Strat style pickup selector switch? But AFAICS Hugh's suggestion would work as you want, connecting only one of A, B or C at a time.

TBH I am clutching at straws here so if a fender style switch work then I’d go for that!
I have looked over what if Hugh has put and it seems to me (of course I could always be wrong!) That there is always more than two contacts in operation at any one time and these “extra contacts“ are connected to the “new/desired contacts”

There is only one pair of contacts active in each switch position :-

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:21 pm

merseymale wrote:Essentially, I’m looking for three simple on/off switches that, when one is in the ON position the other two are always on the OFF!

Probably shouldn't have asked for details about an on-on-on switch, then. ;)

In fact, in the described arrangement above the input connection is only ever connected to one of the three destinations. So the unused ones are definitely off...

But perhaps there's a confusion of language going on here, and it would probably help a lot if you could point us at a circuit schematic of what you're trying to modify. That way, the illuminati here will be able to come up with a perfect solution.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:59 pm

merseymale wrote:The idea of the original circuit is if you turn the pot one way you will get one set sound on an electronic musical instrument and if you turn it another way you get another sound; in the centre you get a blend of the two & all shades in between when you move it back and forth

Without seeing the schematic it's difficult to know exactly how to replicate this function, but the chances are it is configured as a simple blend control like that in the top of the picture below (the sources are presumably buffered feeds from the pickups rather than direct). In which case, the type of on-on-on switch discussed previously could work the way you require, as shown in the lower half of the picture below.

I've sketched out the three switch positions separately to make it easier for you to follow the signal paths, but obviously it only requires the one switch! You'll need to find out the value of the current pot, and replace it with two fixed-value resistors, each half the value of the current pot to ensure the mid position blend has the correct 50/50 proportions.

The blue lines represent a wire link you'll need to fit between the switch terminals. The red lines are the internal switch contact positions, and the orange, purple, green lines are the connections between switch and resistors.

guitar switch.png
Hugh Robjohns

Next