You are here

External SSD not allowing iMac to wake?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

External SSD not allowing iMac to wake?

Postby james090 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Got my first External USB SSD (Samsung T7) for Kontakt Libraries.

I am not sure if this is a Mac thing, but it sometimes doesn't allow the iMac to wake up (black screen)? or doesn't show (even though it was plugged in before the Mac went to sleep)

Is this a specific setting for this drive that I can change or tweak?

I have various other standard LaCie & Maxtor drives (USB) connected to USB2 (iMac 2011) and even FW800 drives, and they all behave fine on sleep and wake.

I just wanted to check if there's something I've missed as to why this sometimes happens and behaves weird?
It seems to work fine with testing libraries through my DAW on the SSD through a slow USB 2 connection, so just wanted to make sure it wasn't defective or anything before piling on my libraries and making back ups.
james090
Regular

Re: External SSD not allowing iMac to wake?

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 pm

If it has gone to sleep and you can't wake it, if you disconnect the T7 does it then wake?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 pm

BobTheDog wrote:If it has gone to sleep and you can't wake it, if you disconnect the T7 does it then wake?

Yes it seems to wake the Mac and the drive comes back to life.
All my other standard USB drives are all fine
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm

I'm just wondering if it is some kind of enumeration problem if the drive has been powered off.

Just as a test you could try unticking "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" under "Energy Saver" in settings.

Possibly not the final solution but if it fixes it it might help work out what is going on.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:09 am

BobTheDog wrote:I'm just wondering if it is some kind of enumeration problem if the drive has been powered off.

Just as a test you could try unticking "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" under "Energy Saver" in settings.

Possibly not the final solution but if it fixes it it might help work out what is going on.

Thanks, I did turn off the 'Hard Disks to sleep' but have powered up the iMac this morning and the SSD hasn't shown again, even with it connected?

Its like even though its connected directly to the Mac USB, I have to pull it out and re-insert it to show? and I still have to see what happens when i 'sleep' the Mac to see if thats resolved

Disk Utility First Aid did all the checks and shows the drive to be Ok?
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:32 am

Did you format the T7 when you got it?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:34 am

BobTheDog wrote:Did you format the T7 when you got it?

Yes I did, just a straight 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)', wiping it clean
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:42 am

I had a look on the internet and it looks like you are not the only one suffering this.

Are you using Big Sur?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am

Also did you install the Samsung ssd software for it?

I noticed in my machine I have a samsung daemon running called "log in activator" so at some point I must have installed the software.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am

BobTheDog wrote:I had a look on the internet and it looks like you are not the only one suffering this.

Are you using Big Sur?

I am still on High Sierra 10.13.16 as using an older iMac, which works great so no need to upgrade OS.

I did wonder if it was the cable? so may as a precaution later change the USB > USB C cable but I don't really think its that.

Does it seem to be common problem then and not my drive is faulty? (which i doubt)
james090
Regular

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 am

BobTheDog wrote:Also did you install the Samsung ssd software for it?

I noticed in my machine I have a samsung daemon running called "log in activator" so at some point I must have installed the software.

EDIT - no I dont have any Samsung software for that drive, as I just formatted it completely like the many many other USB drives, and not had a problem.

Is it easy to pick up the software and stick it back on the drive if indeed this is the problem?
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:01 am

Ok the software is here: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... /portable/

You need to be aware that the mac might disable the software you are trying to install so make sure you take any steps that the installer tells you to which may involve going to system preferences and telling it that you do actually want to use the software you are installing!

Hopefully this may cure your problem, the only reason I would have installed it here was because I had problems (which I can't remember!).
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 am

BobTheDog wrote:Ok the software is here: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... /portable/

You need to be aware that the mac might disable the software you are trying to install so make sure you take any steps that the installer tells you to which may involve going to system preferences and telling it that you do actually want to use the software you are installing!

Hopefully this may cure your problem, the only reason I would have installed it here was because I had problems (which I can't remember!).

Thank you Bob.
The only other thing which I thought was weird, was when using this SSD like the other numerous drives that I have connected, that when I wanted to create a folder on the SSD as we do a thousand times, it weirdly asked me for my Mac Password?

This only happens if I usually install something new and not making a simple Folder on the SSD Drive?

Would this be down to permissions?

I straight away checked these and the 'Sharing & Permissions' for this drive are 'Read & Write' for everyone (as its just me using it)

This may be significant (or not?)
james090
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 am

I'm guessing you have encryption turned on for the drive maybe, the Samsung software should enable you to disable this.

So I would recommend:

1. Install the ssd software
2. Disable any encryption on the drive with the samsung software
3. Cross your fingers.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:41 am

BobTheDog wrote:3. Cross your fingers.

haha - I have just used Onyx to clean out my monthly 'crap' as I also found inexplicably that things were slowing down?

Also did a P-RAM reset and on rebooting the SSD just appeared.

So fingers crossed it all behaves ok. If not I will resort to downloading the software for the drive and installing to make things a bit smoother if it needs it :)
james090
Regular

Next