You are here

Discussion: record vocoder

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Discussion: record vocoder

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:37 pm

So I’m tracking a few vocoder parts (BOSS VO-1) today and after some experimentation have found a mode, settings, and mic that work well but I’m finding that some opening transients are getting cut off.

I’m tracking the vocoder parts using a pre recorded synth part but I wonder: should the synth part be more like drones and use the vocoder’s gate to create the melody, or is this just a timing issue that I need to get down? Currently the synth part is the melody line and I’m ‘singing’ along with it (I am not a singer).
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Discussion: record vocoder

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Transients can be missed either because there's nothing to vocode at that point, or the modulator is not present at that point. Both have to be in place.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks, Elf! I think I’ll need the click track for this one ...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:57 pm

I’ve never had the pleasure of working with a vocoder, but would it work if you held down a pad? Or do the notes have to follow your melody?
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Oh, it's loads of fun!

Yes, you can hold sustained notes and it won't make any sound until you complete the circuit with signal going into the microphone.

Turns out it was a bit of Column A and Column B: metronome helped my timing and I learned that I started just fractionally ahead of the notes, so a simple MIDI edit got it all sorted.

Here's a little sample from the session, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2B1SM ... sp=sharing
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Sounds cool :thumbup:
I first heard vocoder on Laurie Anderson’s O Superman. I must have listened to it hundreds of times. Last week I was researching the Boss vocoder pedal that does 4 kinds of vocoder, from “original” to more of a talk box vibe. The talk box vibe didn’t sound so authentic but it was a bit of fun too.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:28 pm

The VO-1 is great, I'm having tonnes of fun with it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 pm

That’s the one. Are you leaning to using 1 mode over the others? Or have you been checking them all out?
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 pm

All of the modes are great, in my opinion. The modern setting has better tracking and is almost auto tune-ish, which isn't what I'm looking for, so I've been using the vintage setting.

I found that using a dynamic mic, setting the VO-1 to high sensitivity, and aiming the mic at my chin provided a smoother response without plosives or excessive silence.

I had less success using an SM57 or e609 than the Audix D2, which worked really well.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

My tip for vocal(!) vocoding is to use a headset - keeping the mic a consistent distance from the mouth is important to getting clean, sharp results. And the quality of the mic matters not a jot.

(Though it's not something I do by choice!) :frown: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:59 pm

Good tip! Once I got the distance and angle sorted it wasn't very difficult to get a good results using the VO-1. I can't speak for other vocoders, though.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster