You are here

Big Sur on the i9 MBP

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Sur on the i9 MBP

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Steinberg Cubase 11, (Nuendo still testing) , Waves 12 and Reason Studios now report compatibility with Big Sur so I finally took the plunge.

I say finally because I'm expecting to finally see what the MBP 8 core i9 with 16 GB can really do, having experienced sloth like performance under Catalina coupled with the kind of reliability normally attributable to early cheap Chinese electronics peddled in the dollar shops at MBK Bangkok.

I have to say early results look encouraging. 10 seconds or so to boot (3 minutes was the worst I got with Catalina) and the kind of slick sheen I've seen with Big Sur on the small thin air.

I got the usual and well documented "not enough disk space" but enough people have experience it and posted fixes that I benefitted from. Two rather stern comments voiced what I was thinking, ie why would you expect your users to have to figure out a workaround during a critical change of OS.

Still, so far so good.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Big Sur on the i9 MBP

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:47 am

Update.

Big Sur has made no difference to the "performance" or the consistency of my MacBook Pro. It still sucks big time. The 2019 16GB i9 MBP is outperformed by my MacBook retina 1.1GHz 8 GB Intel core M3 on almost every count.

I have been working on two John Whitehill sessions this week (Lady Luck, and Don't think twice) and I can work all day with everything connected and working, and the next day at least one of the connected items won't be recognised, and I have to reconfigure the connections.

The thing won't power down properly, and requires a forced shut down - but not always. Sometimes it doesn't power up properly and needs a second attempt.

If it powers up properly, it takes 45 seconds, consistently to power up.

The machine is 2 years old now, and has (a year ago) been superseded by one that works properly, and that one has now been superseded by the M series. Consequently the second hand value is minimal, but frankly I couldn't in all conscience flog it to some unsuspecting person anyway.

Would I buy another Mac? Probably. but not until the new ones are established, proven reliable, and work with Waves, UAD, Steinberg and Reason 11.

Meanwhile I have reconfigured one of my iZ Radar Studio machines (running Windows 8.1) to be my all in one tracking and sequencing station. It's bullet proof, dedicated, professional studio quality, heavy as hell and simply works, first time, every time. I can choose to boot into Nuendo, Cubase, Reason, or Harrison Mixbus 32C.

Not as elegant as a slim MBP though.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby RichardT » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Sorry to hear that - do other people have similar problems with your 2019 model?
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:12 pm

RichardT wrote:Sorry to hear that - do other people have similar problems with your 2019 model?

There is a local "Apple fixer" in downtown Pattaya (near the Tucom for those who know it) and when I enquired about checking it out, both resident guys threw their arms up and said "Don't buy it" language barrier thing, they assumed I wanted to buy one.

I originally bought it from an accredited re-seller store, but my experience with them on faulty stuff hasn't been great. The problem has been that I assumed it was Catalina related, so hung on and on until Big Sur emerged. Now it's a bit late.

But hey ho! as it turns out I would likely be looking for a new MBP anyway when the new ones come out and are settled. So no biggie really.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:58 pm

There are known issues with the 2019 MBPs. I think that the ones at the end of the year are ok (my work one is an i9 and I remember holding off as long as possible before switching) but my sister's 2019 work machine has been nothing but problems since she got it. From 2020 onwards they seem to be ok as Apple reverted a bunch of stuff to older designs.

I am curious as to what an M3 powered Mac is though ... have I missed a meeting?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby RichardT » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Dave B wrote:There are known issues with the 2019 MBPs. I think that the ones at the end of the year are ok (my work one is an i9 and I remember holding off as long as possible before switching) but my sister's 2019 work machine has been nothing but problems since she got it. From 2020 onwards they seem to be ok as Apple reverted a bunch of stuff to older designs.

I am curious as to what an M3 powered Mac is though ... have I missed a meeting?

I would love an M3 powered Mac, but unlike Howdy Doody Time I’m going to have to wait a couple of years...
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Dave B wrote:There are known issues with the 2019 MBPs. I think that the ones at the end of the year are ok (my work one is an i9 and I remember holding off as long as possible before switching) but my sister's 2019 work machine has been nothing but problems since she got it. From 2020 onwards they seem to be ok as Apple reverted a bunch of stuff to older designs.

No it's not one of the new processors! it's an Intel dual core m3 whatever that is, and it lives in this 12" MacBook Retina. It's a super useful machine and has accompanied me on many flights and hotels acting as my work horse and entertainment centre all over South East Asia and more recently in Denmark and Sweden.

Oddly comforting to finally hear on this forum that there are known issues with the 2019 MBP. I've been driven up the wall with mine, and despite much complaining about it, I've not heard anyone refer to known issues. There you go!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster