You are here

Starting a new band. How to find musicians.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Starting a new band. How to find musicians.

Postby F3lin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:12 pm

I am getting back into playing guitar into a big way and have decided to start a band. The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal so I'm a bit stuck. I was wondering if you have any tips on finding like minded musicians.
I've placed an ad on the "Join my band" website and I will take some ads to the local music shops during next week when I pick up my amp from being fixed (it's almost 20 years old and coming our of retirement, it started to smoke when I turned it on for the first time in about 10 years!!!).
I also have the added trouble of being in my thirties and would rather not play in a band with under 25s (experience and maturity being the reasons. I want it to be about the music and not partying - I remember what it was like back in the day!!!!!. Plus I'd rather play with people around my age) which narrows the possibilities even further.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
F3lin
Regular

Re: Starting a new band. How to find musicians.

Postby RegressiveRock » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:29 pm

RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby gofodwr » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I always enjoy (idly) reading the musicians wanted notices in my local record shop (Spillers).
gofodwr
Regular

Postby audiomatic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:12 pm

If you find a really good drummer, everyone else will beat a path to your door.
audiomatic
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am

I'm inclined to agree with Audiomatic, the world is full of guitarists and to a lesser extent bass players too, but good drummers are hard to find.

And while there is nothing wrong with using classifieds to find other musicians, it's very hit and miss.

As you have a specific style of music in mind I would suggest going ahead with the classified anyway but to try a second avenue as well. Get out as often as you can to the local metal clubs and discos. Have as many drinks as you need to start chatting with complete strangers and... start chatting. Get to know as many people as possible. Most will be fans but some will either be players or friends of players. Essentially, get yourself out on the local Metal circuit. There are ALWAYS musicians in the audience at gigs, they come out of the woodwork whenever the band starts packing up. And making friends with fans is always a good thing, if you want to go out gigging it's nice to have loads of friends who are already Metal fans who will come to your gigs.

And to be honest, if you can't make the time to get to a midweek club/gig/disco and at least another on Friday and/or Saturday, then you don't have the time to be in a band because you'll need a regular practice night and gig nights free.

Hope that helps,

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby _ Six _ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 am

www.gumtree.com is pretty good ;)
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Shivanand » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:21 am

F3lin wrote:The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal so I'm a bit stuck.

So maybe it's time to get into to some proper music. :D
Shivanand
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:30 am

Hi F3lin

I can't offer you any additional routes to try but I can tell you that I found myself in a similar position earlier this year. I'm 46 and had been with the same band for 15 years but band activity had dropped to virtually zero. I decided to look for something new and tried 'Join my Band'. Maybe I'm not typical but I found something within a couple of days. Great bunch of lads, three of us similar ages (plus one 25 year old pup), travel wise we're not too far apart and we've found enough common musical ground to work on.

It's taken a while for us to gel musically (not helped by weeks of overlapping summer holidays) but its been a lot of fun. I can't ever remember looking forward to rehearsals so much as I do now.

Sick with it - its worth the effort.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:02 pm

On the Performing Musician Site on the right hand side, there is a link for 'musicians wanted'. I agree with Zen though, get out there and meet some like minded people.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Loudbox » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Find the local rehearsal studio and pop along. There will be a notice board full of musicians wanting to join bands. Bring something along to stick up yourself. Also, have a chat with the guy who runs it. He will know countless musicians and will point you in the right direction.
Loudbox
Poster

Postby F3lin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks for the help guys. This was much easier when I was in school and we all listened to similar music!
F3lin
Regular

Postby tex » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

F3lin wrote:Thanks for the help guys. This was much easier when I was in school and we all listened to similar music!

But in school you all have to listen to the same music or get the holy crepe knocked out of you by the big lads. :bouncy:

There is a reason why metal bands only do two gigs a year less than bagpipe players.... but I can't think what it is.
tex
Regular
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Postby IvanSC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:55 pm

My daughter promoted a gig a couple of years ago & had a screamo/grunge/thrash metal or whatever they call themselves nowadays band on as headliners.
WHEN i asked her why, she explained that they had more mates than the other bands but their music would empty the place, so they go on last.
She was right - place was heaving till they went on & within 30 seconds the place was empty, even of most of the screamo`s mates!
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Aj_moyer » Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm a 15 yr old in a metalcore band I made with a Drummer called Maze of Winter we have Facebook and Instagram pages and everything and our age range as we only have 3 members right now,lead vocalist(me),the Drummer(co-owner),and a keyboardist, the only instruments we're missing is Lead and Rhythm Guitarist and Bassist. But since it's this generation most kids who want to be in music, want to be popstars or rappers, and it really hard to find Guitarists around where we live and when we do they dont want to be in a band. So yea it's really hard finding Guitarists and Bassist in York/Adams County Pa. Especially around 15-17yrs old. So I was wondering if you have any tips for me.
Aj_moyer

Postby ef37a » Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 am

<www.thefretboard.co.uk> has a fairly "mature" following. Give my old firm, Blackstar amps a bell, there were some Metal nutters on the strength, might have mates? (not likely but you could try!) Never know, might give you a deal on some used kit? A few years ago they produced Metal versions of most of their amp range.

Social media of course (or is that just full of kids?) .

A bit more seriously, have you thought about the structure of the proposed band? Who will be The Boss or will it be very democratic? Get agreements upfront about money. Who owns what, what needs to be bought and how and what happens to all the group kit when you (inevitably!) disband. Are you VERY rich?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am

The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal

Move to Norway, the local production of metal playing musicians is world high
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 am

Edit - sorry, reading failure on my part. As you were.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Something of a Zombie thread. I was about to reply to suggest https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/ but thought that I'd better check back to make sure that I wasn't repeating myself, and .....................

Music Wolf wrote: I'm 46 and had been with the same band for 15 years but band activity had dropped to virtually zero. I decided to look for something new and tried 'Join my Band'. Maybe I'm not typical but I found something within a couple of days.

Having gotten over the initial shock that I'm now closing rapidly on 56 (and there was me thinking that 46 was old) I thought that I'd add;

That band stuck around for a few years before evolving into a 3 piece (with drums on backing tracks). We must have done somewhere around 30 gigs and we still stay in touch with one another. About 12 months ago I once again found myself in need of a band and, again via Join My Band, I found a group of like minded souls and we just did our 8th gig last Friday. Usual format, 3 of us similar ages + 1 young'un.

10 years ago I was an ex-bass player / keyboard player who had played rhythm guitar but very little lead. Last Friday I was relaxed and confident about my lead playing. Anybody who want's to develop as a player - you need to get out there and gig.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm

F3lin wrote:I am getting back into playing guitar into a big way and have decided to start a band. The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal so I'm a bit stuck. I was wondering if you have any tips on finding like minded musicians.
I've placed an ad on the "Join my band" website and I will take some ads to the local music shops during next week when I pick up my amp from being fixed (it's almost 20 years old and coming our of retirement, it started to smoke when I turned it on for the first time in about 10 years!!!).
I also have the added trouble of being in my thirties and would rather not play in a band with under 25s (experience and maturity being the reasons. I want it to be about the music and not partying - I remember what it was like back in the day!!!!!. Plus I'd rather play with people around my age) which narrows the possibilities even further.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Metal? I thought that went out with the wind, but yes we are all prisoners of our own generation, or so I thought. I recently sold an old 02r96 to a couple of young chaps, they were brothers, from Sheffield (City of Steel!) and they had a full on crash/bang/wallop and as per usual we got on to chatting about music stuff. They were independents but had got 2 record deals, one for the states and one for Europe, and they were filling venues, ok not a 'stadium band' but busy enough to really hone their material, and they were very businesslike too, acknowledging that the way to go these days is social media.

The point being, there are metal fans and musicians out there, but musicianship is much the same as being a artisan/tradesman - unless you have friends that have friends in the media, your playing ability speaks for itself, but there are fewer and fewer smaller live music venues/pubs about, they were where you'd usually the sorts of places where you'd get chatting with similar minded people, and before you knew it, you had a band. That's where I'd start - at the Twangers Tavern and best of luck
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

CS70 wrote:
The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal

Move to Norway, the local production of metal playing musicians is world high

I had answered another post on this thread, about a metal band I met who are doing really well in Europe and yes, Norway was where they got a break in Europe. I guess to some metal music is a bit passe, but at least metal is recyclable, unlike a lot of the plastic music made for twerking to we get these days
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next