You are here

Starting a new band. How to find musicians.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Starting a new band. How to find musicians.

Postby Aj_moyer » Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm a 15 yr old in a metalcore band I made with a Drummer called Maze of Winter we have Facebook and Instagram pages and everything and our age range as we only have 3 members right now,lead vocalist(me),the Drummer(co-owner),and a keyboardist, the only instruments we're missing is Lead and Rhythm Guitarist and Bassist. But since it's this generation most kids who want to be in music, want to be popstars or rappers, and it really hard to find Guitarists around where we live and when we do they dont want to be in a band. So yea it's really hard finding Guitarists and Bassist in York/Adams County Pa. Especially around 15-17yrs old. So I was wondering if you have any tips for me.
Aj_moyer

Postby ef37a » Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 am

<www.thefretboard.co.uk> has a fairly "mature" following. Give my old firm, Blackstar amps a bell, there were some Metal nutters on the strength, might have mates? (not likely but you could try!) Never know, might give you a deal on some used kit? A few years ago they produced Metal versions of most of their amp range.

Social media of course (or is that just full of kids?) .

A bit more seriously, have you thought about the structure of the proposed band? Who will be The Boss or will it be very democratic? Get agreements upfront about money. Who owns what, what needs to be bought and how and what happens to all the group kit when you (inevitably!) disband. Are you VERY rich?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am

The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal

Move to Norway, the local production of metal playing musicians is world high
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 am

Edit - sorry, reading failure on my part. As you were.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Something of a Zombie thread. I was about to reply to suggest https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/ but thought that I'd better check back to make sure that I wasn't repeating myself, and .....................

Music Wolf wrote: I'm 46 and had been with the same band for 15 years but band activity had dropped to virtually zero. I decided to look for something new and tried 'Join my Band'. Maybe I'm not typical but I found something within a couple of days.

Having gotten over the initial shock that I'm now closing rapidly on 56 (and there was me thinking that 46 was old) I thought that I'd add;

That band stuck around for a few years before evolving into a 3 piece (with drums on backing tracks). We must have done somewhere around 30 gigs and we still stay in touch with one another. About 12 months ago I once again found myself in need of a band and, again via Join My Band, I found a group of like minded souls and we just did our 8th gig last Friday. Usual format, 3 of us similar ages + 1 young'un.

10 years ago I was an ex-bass player / keyboard player who had played rhythm guitar but very little lead. Last Friday I was relaxed and confident about my lead playing. Anybody who want's to develop as a player - you need to get out there and gig.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm

F3lin wrote:I am getting back into playing guitar into a big way and have decided to start a band. The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal so I'm a bit stuck. I was wondering if you have any tips on finding like minded musicians.
I've placed an ad on the "Join my band" website and I will take some ads to the local music shops during next week when I pick up my amp from being fixed (it's almost 20 years old and coming our of retirement, it started to smoke when I turned it on for the first time in about 10 years!!!).
I also have the added trouble of being in my thirties and would rather not play in a band with under 25s (experience and maturity being the reasons. I want it to be about the music and not partying - I remember what it was like back in the day!!!!!. Plus I'd rather play with people around my age) which narrows the possibilities even further.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Metal? I thought that went out with the wind, but yes we are all prisoners of our own generation, or so I thought. I recently sold an old 02r96 to a couple of young chaps, they were brothers, from Sheffield (City of Steel!) and they had a full on crash/bang/wallop and as per usual we got on to chatting about music stuff. They were independents but had got 2 record deals, one for the states and one for Europe, and they were filling venues, ok not a 'stadium band' but busy enough to really hone their material, and they were very businesslike too, acknowledging that the way to go these days is social media.

The point being, there are metal fans and musicians out there, but musicianship is much the same as being a artisan/tradesman - unless you have friends that have friends in the media, your playing ability speaks for itself, but there are fewer and fewer smaller live music venues/pubs about, they were where you'd usually the sorts of places where you'd get chatting with similar minded people, and before you knew it, you had a band. That's where I'd start - at the Twangers Tavern and best of luck
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

CS70 wrote:
The problem is I don't know anyone that wants to play metal! I know loads of musicians but they're just not into metal

Move to Norway, the local production of metal playing musicians is world high

I had answered another post on this thread, about a metal band I met who are doing really well in Europe and yes, Norway was where they got a break in Europe. I guess to some metal music is a bit passe, but at least metal is recyclable, unlike a lot of the plastic music made for twerking to we get these days
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm

OneWorld wrote:at least metal is recyclable, unlike a lot of the plastic music made for twerking to we get these days

Best metaphor I've heard in a while! :thumbup:
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby BJG145 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Aj_moyer wrote:I was wondering if you have any tips for me.

In general, it's best to start new threads on forums rather than bumping ones that are a decade old. But, welcome to SOS!
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Have you tried looking in the unemployment lines or in the alley behind the strip clubs?

btw...a decade old? I wonder if the OP was successful.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 pm

His last post was in 2011 but he did have this to say

F3lin wrote:It's been a while since I've been on the SOS forum, it's good to see it's still friendly and helpfull.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........