You are here

Hanging Guitars from Cavity/Plasterboard Walls

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Hanging Guitars from Cavity/Plasterboard Walls

Postby -Chris- » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Afternoon all,

This may be more of a DIY question than a guitar question, but hopefully some of you will have been in a similar position before and can offer their thoughts.

I have several guitars on a multi-guitar stand in the spare room, which also contains a futon. Everytime we have guests to stay the guitar stand has to be moved into the hallway to allow room for the futon to be used. I am thinking about hanging the guitars on the walls, either in the spare room, or down the stairs, but don't know how well our plasterboard stud walls would hold out. I'm no DIY expert and the last thing I want is for my guitars to go bouncing down the stairs and to have a nice big hole in the wall to fill!

With regard to weight, I have 1 electric bass, 2 acoustics and 2 electrics, one of which is a Les Paul so isn't light, plus a banjo. Stop sniggering.

Does anybody have any experience of hanging this many guitars from stud walls? Should I attempt it, or should I just stop inviting people to stay unless they are content with the garden shed?

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
Chris
-Chris-
Poster

Re: Hanging Guitars from Cavity/Plasterboard Walls

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 pm

if they can hang ina straight line it's simple, use about a 6ft length of nice 100mmx18mm PSE hardwood timber, fixed at 4 points along it's length using the type of cavity wall fixings that spread the load on the back of the plasterboard.... , AND no more nails , in a zig zag pattern along the back of the timber.

then when it's dried , use the guitar hangers of your choice, fixed to the timber.

apply the idea as many times as you need....

you could, for example stagger 2 of these timbers, at slightly different heights, and then alternate hangers top and bottom,
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ryan mead » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm

A tad OT but there's also this to consider...
ryan mead
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 pm

ryan mead wrote:A tad OT but there's also <a href="/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=GTR&Number=708183&fpart=1" target="_blank">this</a> to consider...

Looking back I see that I'd just acquired a 9 guitar Rockstand but only had 7 guitars with which to fill it. I'm happy to report that the stand is now supporting the full complement of 9 instruments and my wife hasn't killed me.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby -Chris- » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Idris, this sounds simple enough. Is this something you've done in the past?

I read that thread before posting Ryan, and have taken on board the suggestions. I use the guitars too frequently to warrant putting them back in their cases and, bar the Les Paul, the others are not expensive so if they do happen to develop little marks from the hangers I won't be too gutted. I already have a multi-guitar stand, it's just a bit cumbersome for a little room! Circumstances have forced this direction somewhat.

Glad to hear you were able to fill your stand without forfiting your existence Music Wolf! As much as I'd like to acquire more the wallet, and the wife, both say no!

Chris
-Chris-
Poster

Postby grab » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Are these actually just stud walls, or are they actually breezeblock fronted with plasterboard (as most modern houses are)? If the latter, you can just drill straight through to the breezeblock and fix into that. Certainly most staircases will have at least one solid wall to hang them off.

I wouldn't trust just four screws to hold everything though. And whilst no-more-nails is good, the front face of plasterboard is just paper and I wouldn't rely too much on that to hold anything. For the cost of drilling a few extra holes, I prefer to play it safe when it comes to that kind of thing.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 pm

I have indeed done this sort of thing many times....

;)

last one i put up is currently supporting 2xPRS and 3xJEMs and an RG

the one under it is supporting 2 les pauls, a tele, and another ibanez.

the one on the other side of the room, holds an acoustic and 3 basses.

the thing with no more nails is that it should be applied as a fat zig zag, so that it is not a single horizontal line for shear forces to act on , and when squeezed up with the screws, it spreads to give more or less full coverage... that sort of surface area provides a pretty good safety net....

note that the screws to use on proper stud walling are the ones with spring loaded butterfly braces on the end of them....

they get pushed through and spring out, then as the screw does up, they clamp to the rear of the plasterboard spreading the load....

it can initially be a fiddle to get them in right, but once you have the knack, it's easy enough....

the only risk of failure is if the plasterboard itself is unsound.... which i guess on cheapo domestic 9.5mm rubbish, is possible, generally i put these things up in studio rooms, using multiple layers of acoustic plasterboard which is far more substantial....

but the thing here, is that if this didn't work... nothing would, short of fixing the front piece of timber directly to the internal wall support framework , which is what you'd do with wall plugs in to masonry... but if using those, i probably would opt for 6 fixings as it's easier to pull out a wall pug than one of the fixings i'd use on stud walls.....
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby -Chris- » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Grab,

They are Breezeblock fronted with plasterboard, my apologies if this is different to a stud wall. The plasterboard is a good inch or two away from the breezeblocks though, how would I acheive a solid fixing into the breezeblocks with this gap?

I feel perhaps I should be posting this onto the forums of brickonbrick.com!

Thanks,
Chris
-Chris-
Poster

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:10 pm

a stud wall is a timber or steel framework, with plasterboard on either side, often hollow in older buildings, more usually with some mineral wool infill insulation in modern buildings.

if it's an inch, you're going to have to fix in to the masonry, if it's 2 inches, you might get away with what i described....

if it;s on a timber batten frame, it may be as well to mount directly in to the battens.

(and still using no more nails as well, like a belt and braces approach)

at 2 inches from the masonry it starts getting a bit iffy, because the lever forces on the fixings can then be significant.. if the plasterboard is weedy thing stuff....

the things with all these fixing approaches is that the forces acting o the point of fixing need to be spread out, and/or be applied perpendicular to the screw... so the wall is bearing the load, not the screw and wall plug. the further out from the wall that you're actually fixing in to you get, the more the forces acting on the fixing behave like a rotating lever instead of a perpendicular pull.....
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Plasterboard walls are just fine.

You just need to do it right, use the right fittings, and think about what you are doing.

With proper fixings you can easily put a number of shelves on a single plasterboard wall. Not only will those shelves carry books that weigh a lot more than your guitars, the centre of gravity will be further away from the wall than your guitars which will increase the load further.

Idris's method is more than strong enough, and has the benefit of looking good too.

If you have doubts, have a word with a local builder's suppliers about the loads the board can carry with proper fixings. Then do some calculations.

But if you really do have doubts after all that... locate the studs and use Idris's method but fixing through the plasterboard into the studs.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby humanmusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I have hung many of these. When you say "plasterboard" I assume that is also called "sheet rock"?

I like the Hercules mount with a wooden base and which, when the weight of the guitar is on it, it pulls in levers on either side that prevent the guitar from falling out. They come with mounting screws but I would never use them, they are just the plastic expander type and not strong enough for a heavy Les Paul.

What I do is use a stud finder to try and find the studs (these are usually metal in new construction), I then drill a small hall into the stud, then screw in a long sheet metal screw to grab the stud (make sure the drill hole is much smaller than the screw!).

If I can't find a stud or they are inconveniently placed, I use "toggle" bolts - these are the kind that have a pair of arms which are spring loaded. You make a hole big enough to push them through the sheet rock, then they spring open behind the sheet rock, and you need to pull them towards you as you tighten the bolt. I have done it this way many times, and never had a problem, though the holes in the wall will be fairly large, so you need to make sure that the base of the hanger will cover them over.

Some guitar designs, like Parker guitars, don't work at all in those hangers, but I have never had any problems with finishes with those Hercules units
humanmusic

Postby -Chris- » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks guys, some helpful suggestions there.

They're wooden batons between the plasterboard and breezeblock so I think a best of all worlds approach would be to make use of these, plus a toggle bolt or 2 for good measure in between, to mount a horizontal (or diagonal) baton on the surface, and then fix the hangers to this. I presume I can combine both, providing the toggle bolt screw is long enough to go through the exterior baton and the plasterboard and into the thread the other side. plus some No Nails for good measure!

Cheers,
Chris
-Chris-
Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 am

In my experience it is never a good idea to rely soley on "rawplugs" or other such fixings, especially if, like me, you have an old house with walls made alternately of fresh air and brick only a diamond drill will penetrate!

The No Nails or similar with screws where you can get them in is a very good idea. 30% of one wall of my "studio" is "plated" with 19mm MDF off which is hung 2 sets of monitors, a fan and various breakout boxes.
The downside of the glue approach is that you will never remove things and leave the wall unscathed. I don't care, that's the kids problem!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby vinnyburns » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I hung my guitars with K&M guitar hangers.

I used these metal thingies from screwfix.

All still hanging in place with no problems.
All the very best.
Vinny.
vinnyburns
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Yes, they are good. Avoid the plastic version like the plague!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby russ123 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 pm

i wouldn't hang guitars down a stairway or anywhere that has regular traffic - sooner or later one or more will get knocked off or constantly bashed. another method which i have used on a dodgy wall is get a sheet of 3/4" ply (or mdf) cut to fit the space. this is screwed at various points that are strong ie baton/stud work. individual hangers are then screwed to the board. one you can cover the whole wall and paint to blend in. the other advantage is that you can place the hanger exactly where you want to make the arangement look good or just use the space most efficiently. you can all move stuff around as your collection of guitars changes or increases. you also so far less damage for kids to have to sort out when they inheret! i have also done something similar too but used slatted mdf (many guitar shops use)
russ123
Regular

Postby marsmac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 am

I was able to hang my acoustic and my daughter's violin using 2 x 4 timber post, wall hangers and ceiling/floor brackets.

The brackets hold the timber post upright but is secured against the ceiling and floor. There is a spring inside the top bracket which holds everything in place with enough pressure.

I screwed the wall hangers directly onto the timber post so there is no holes or damage to the wall.

Source information: https://mypropertyexpert.com.au/hang-or-mount-guitar-on-the-wall-without-drilling/

Pinterest information: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/794603927984153286/
marsmac