You are here

Which overdrive TS808 or Hot Cake??

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Which overdrive TS808 or Hot Cake??

Postby Monkey Harris » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I was in Denmark Street the other day to buy an Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 reissue, however none of the shops had it in stock. I was offered an alternative, the Crowther Audio Hotcake, which sounded amazing when I had a demo.

I'm after a warm blues sound (SRV, Joe Bonnamassa, etc)so can anyone offer me any recommendations so I can decide between the two.

Cheers
Monkey Harris
New here

Re: Which overdrive TS808 or Hot Cake??

Postby Stonehousestudio » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Hot Cakes are good, but not very TS808 like really. I find them more of a distortion type drive. The 808s have a hump in the mid frequencies which you don't really get in a Hot Cake.

Nice pedal though and if you like it then that is all that matters really.

I have about a hundred pedals including a couple of Klons and an Analogman KOT, Keeley modded TS-9 etc etc and I got them all for the fact that I love the sounds that they all make.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby greigb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11 am

Monkey Harris wrote:
I'm after a warm blues sound (SRV, Joe Bonnamassa, etc)so can anyone offer me any recommendations so I can decide between the two.

Can't help with a decision between those two, but just for the halibut, check these guys out.

The Creamtone slow blues demo is very SRV'ish.

Funnily enough, I just realised that the Hotcake is made by another New Zealander - Paul Crowther, who was in the original Split Enz. According to this article SRV had a Hotcake.

Must be something funny in the water over here for Crowther and the G2D guys to be making such exotic effects pedals so far from the mainstream.

BTW, the Doug Rogers who came up with the Hotcakes name is the guy from EWQL who did the Beatles "Fab Four" sampler, recently written up in SOS. He used to own a recording studio in Auckland, NZ. Small world, eh?

Cheers,

Greig
greigb

Postby Stonehousestudio » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:21 am

I own a Cream Tone and its a very tasty pedal indeed.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby Monkey Harris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look at the 808 Keeley mods, are they worth the extra money?
Monkey Harris
New here

Postby Parker Fly » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Monkey Harris wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look at the 808 Keeley mods, are they worth the extra money?

Yes, they're superb.

Also have a look at the Blackstar OD pedal, which is valve driven, as that retails for around £70 new. It's good, very good.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby Stonehousestudio » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 pm

The Keeley stuff is very well thought out and has a good sound that is really useable. You can pick them up for reasonable amounts of money as well unlike a lot of boutique stuff.

Us guitarists are funny creatures of habit and the pedal manufacturers know this. There are so many 808 clones out there, and not a lot of really good ones. I like the fact that the Keeley stuff is reasonably priced and available i.e. Not a two year waiting list to own one.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby Monkey Harris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:18 pm

The more i read into the different Keeyley mods, the more confused i am.

Having not used either, would you recommend the 808 or TS9?
Monkey Harris
New here

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:28 am

And just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, don't forget the Maxon pedals.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hiwatt » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 am

Yep Maxon would be up there. Heard good things about the Hot Cake, could also try the OCD, Fulldrive and Fatboost.

What amp and guitar do you play?
Hiwatt
Poster

Postby Monkey Harris » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 am

I play an american strat through an old marshall valvestate, but will be upgrading to a fender blues deluxe or deville very soon
Monkey Harris
New here

Postby Stonehousestudio » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 pm

If you want a really good overdrive then try a Bad Monkey pedal its made by Digitech and can be bought for about £30-40.

It has been compared to a Klon which are around £300! It does that clean boost thing and if you pair it up with a nice valve amp it can make it cook and sizzle nicely.

I own a couple of Klon pedals as I love them and have heard nothing but good things about the Bad Monkey. I think its a modern day classic in the making and well worth a listen down your local guitar store. My mate has one and keeps telling me to buy one. Based on what I have heard of his recordings I would have to agree that it gets the job done and well.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby sculptor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 pm

I,ll second the Bad monkey, pedal i use one with a small tube amp, i paid £30 for mine and its sounds exellent, as just mentioned it does the clean boost really well and does'nt change the tone of your amp uuless you want it to via its eq section, nice creamy overdrive sounds when you crank the gain!

I cannot rate this pedal highly enough, it heavy too so it does'nt move around plus its got a second Di output with speaker modeling Its a rare bargain.
sculptor
Poster

Postby Stonehousestudio » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Also if you register a Digitech pedal on their website then they will warranty your pedal for six years.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby sculptor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:07 pm

oh yer forgot about the six year warranty!

plus if you bought one of these pedals you could call your self Bad Monkey Harris. :bouncy:
sculptor
Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:13 pm

a bit left field, and not in the OP's list, but as an alternative... The Danelectro Daddio.

low noise, flexible 3 band EQ making all sorts of colour and shape options available, , and a really useable core tone, whether simply level boosting, or adding break up gain artefacts... .. for all sorts of jobs... it's my favourite Overdrive pedal bar none.... and i DO have original Ibanez's and such like as well.... but the Daddio walks away with the prize....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Stonehousestudio » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Max has got good taste! Very tasty little pedal the Danelectro and much forgotten about these days.

Boutique stuff is good, but guitarists seem to forget that the original 808s etc were just standard pedals you could pick up down your local guitar shop.

The modern Danelectro and Digitech stuff today is probably the 808 of the future.

I personally have never had much kuck with old 808s and TS-9s I just find them to nasal and usually in bad condition. I was always a BOSS SD-1 fan myself.

8-)
Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby Hiwatt » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey I used to have a marshall vs100r, i thought it was a good amp for solid state but when I started sharing stages with bands who had valve gear it sounded weak.

There are a million great pedals out there but what might sound good on your solid state marshall will react diferently to a valve amp vice-versa. Likewise pedals tend to be more suited to different brands of amp i.e. a TS-9 might sound great on a fender or marshall but no quite good with a Hiwatt or Orange, Laney or whatever.

If you are upgrading your amp soon I think the best thing to do is choose your amp first. Try out all the possible settings with eq, gain/master vol and guitar vol/tone control and get the most out of the actual amp first. Once you totally know your base tone you can then make a better informed choice of what pedal will suit your needs.
Hiwatt
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:04 am

Very good advice Hiwatt

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Monkey Harris » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:44 am

I've decided to go for the Bad Monkey after all the very positive reviews i've read about it, and it's only £30!

I think i'll take Hiwatt's advice and wait till i get my new amp before i invest more money in effects.

Cheers for all the advice and recommendations.
Monkey Harris
New here

Next