You are here

Clean amp with cose to zero colouration to use with Tonelab LE?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Clean amp with cose to zero colouration to use with Tonelab LE?

Postby 4TrackMadman » Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 pm

You can also try one of the Power Engine amps by Tech21:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/power_engine_intro.html
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby Shingles » Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:You can also try one of the Power Engine amps by Tech21:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/power_engine_intro.html

Beats an Atomic for purity, for sure. But still uses regular guitar speakers, so I would still go for active PA speakers over this for amplifying a Tonelab. Other modellers that don't have the warmth and valve response of the Tonelabs may need something different.
Shingles
Regular
Nik
Godin, Axon, Tonelab, Repeater & the skin of my teeth!

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 am

Lets not forget that we're amplifying guitar though so a full range speaker might not be what you're after, a Celestion after all is known to have a certain sound that people are after.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby Shingles » Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 am

4TrackMadman wrote:Lets not forget that we're amplifying guitar though so a full range speaker might not be what you're after, a Celestion after all is known to have a certain sound that people are after.

That's why the Tonelab has a variety of speaker simulations as well as amp simulation.
Shingles
Regular
Nik

Postby The Blue Boy » Sun May 04, 2008 9:56 am

I've used a POD XT through my JC 120 with really great results. The JC 120 is not Hi-Fi but it's clean as clean can be and won't colour the sound like some other amps will.

You can send the ToneLab signal to the send and return at the back of the amp and plug your guitar into the front of the amp. This set-up works great for me with the POD. I think you could set up the ToneLab in a similar way.

The bonus with a JC 120 is you get a "gigable" amp in it's own right that you can use without the Vox ToneLab if you want. Mind you, the JC 120 a big amp and that might not suit.

By the way, when you do gig, it's totally acceptable to go direct into the PA. Far from what people may say, that is totally allowed.
The Blue Boy
Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sun May 04, 2008 11:54 am

Just one point I'd like to make here.....

Shingles, I can see where you're coming from in thinking that you need a full range PA style speaker to amplify the Tonelab, but I'm not so sure that you do.

A guitar speaker doesn't recreate much above 5-6kHz. The speaker simulators on most of these guitar amp sims do exactly that - simulate a guitar speaker, thereby chopping off most of the top end to get close to what a guitar speaker does.

My reasoning would be if you were to use a full range PA style system, you would leave the guitar speaker sim engaged to get a 'guitar amp' sound, making the extended freq response of the cab useless to you anyway.

On the other hand, if you were to use one of the systems from the likes of Tech 21 or Atomic, you would not engage the speaker sim, letting the 'amp' give you the guitar speaker sound.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Shingles » Sun May 04, 2008 1:02 pm

But the speaker and cabinet is a BIG part of the sound of any guitar amp. So to get accurcte, authentic simulations, you need to engage the speaker simulation in the modeller and use full range speakers.
Shingles
Regular
Nik