You are here

Recommend me a firewire or USB soundcard please!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recommend me a firewire or USB soundcard please!

Postby Simon YANU » Mon May 05, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi,
I've haven't (sadly) had much time for computer music making for some years, so am a bit out of the loop. I'm looking to buy an external soundcard to use with a 1.8GHz macbook pro and Logic. It would be nice to have at least one midi in/out, a couple of audio ins (XLR would be sweet) but most importantly small - portable is the name of the game! I'd think of spending ~£300 but would prefer to spend less ;)
Any suggestions wonderful world of SOS?
Cheers
Simon
Simon YANU

Re: Recommend me a firewire or USB soundcard please!

Postby Evie McCreevie » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 am

There are tons of soundcards to choose from. But put it this way...

In my experience, the only cards which never seem to appear in the "What's wrong with my soundcard?" posts are those by RME and Presonus. The RMEs are beyond your budget.

Meanwhile, the Presonus Firebox has everything you need, and more, and is well within your budget at about £180. It doesn't come with bullshit features which just don't work. Mine has worked 100% from day one, with zero hassle.

Also, FWIW I'd say the Edirol products are very reliable too.

But do some research and learn from all the posts grumbling about Focusrites and M-Audios and the rest of them.

Just my opinion! :smirk:
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Postby Simon YANU » Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 am

The Firebox did sound pretty cool till I saw "Note: Due to a circuit design change, Mac Book Pro laptop computers will not supply sufficient power over the FireWire bus to initially boot up the FireBox. Once the FireBox has beeen initially powered on with the included external power supply, you may disconnect the external power supply, the FireBox can then be bus-powered." - ideally I'd like something that powered itself from the mac. Will keep searching... Thanks for the advice!
Simon YANU

Postby John Willett » Tue May 06, 2008 10:55 am

Simon YANU wrote: - ideally I'd like something that powered itself from the mac. Will keep searching...

Go the extra bit and get the RME Fireface 400 - that's what I have and is nicely powered via the Firewire cable.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle