You are here

ADAT/Pro-Tools question....

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

ADAT/Pro-Tools question....

Postby a.q.s » Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 pm

A quick question,

As an example: Could i connect a Behringer ADA8000 via ADAT to my Profire 2626 (running pro-tools m-powered) and have all 16 line/xlr outs going into an analogue board? Or do both pieces have to be pro-tools compatible? Are there any other connectivity problems i should be aware of?

Thanks,
John.
a.q.s
New here

Re: ADAT/Pro-Tools question....

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu May 08, 2008 11:27 pm

yes you can do what you asked about.... the pro-tools requirement ends at the main interface.,.. any optically connected equipment then only has to meet the ADAT protocol spec to be compatible...

there probably are a load of other things you should be aware of... but without knowing what you're NOT aware of... i could be here all night typing, and not actually be much more use than the straight answer i've already given.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby a.q.s » Thu May 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Max.

What i'm considering doing is this; I have the Profire, i have Pro-Tools m-powered, i have been offered an analogue desk (24 channel soundtracs MRX) very cheap, i just want to figure out the pitfalls of connecting 16+ channels into the desk from pro-tools for either band recordings or mixing.

It's more or less to get used to routing things on a desk again, getting re-acquainted with physical mixing, etc. (I'm well out of practice!)

Any pointers that i should look out for or general advice would be a great help!

John.
a.q.s
New here

Postby Phil O » Thu May 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Be aware that you're limited to 18 I/O when using the Profire with PT M-Powered.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby a.q.s » Thu May 08, 2008 11:49 pm

I would be linking another device to the 2626 via ADAT to give me the extra I/O.
a.q.s
New here

Postby Phil O » Fri May 09, 2008 12:03 am

I suspect that 18 I/O maximum is a software limitation imposed by Digidesign irrespective of the physical inputs.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby a.q.s » Fri May 09, 2008 12:05 am

I think it's 32 simultaneous audio tracks.

But i'm going to check in case....

EDIT: Sorry, i'm an idiot. It is a maximum of 18 I/O. Still, that's all i'm looking for at the moment.
a.q.s
New here