You are here

Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:08 pm

I still have an MCU+XT, but for day to day use with a laptop, I have set up an alternative that for my needs, works brilliantly, and has a small footprint so takes up only a small amount of desk space (unlike the Mackies, which take up all of it!).

I picked up a Novation Launch Control XL.

In HUI mode, it gives you mixer control of Logic (levels, pans, sends, mute/solo/arm, bank switching etc). Then I flip over into User mode and I have it set up as a heavily customised C4, which lets me do some really cool stuff for plugin control, which I won't go into too much here, but is a very custom setup for me and works great. No sexy motorised faders etc, but it's inexpensive, small, and works pretty well, and lets me do everything I need away from the mouse. No transport controls, but I have that on my master keyboard so I like not duplicating things.

But it really depends on what you're looking for in a controller...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8882
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Desmond,

I need a control surface with transport controls and the ability to write automation. I have a Softube Console One (which is superb) so tweely EQ, Compression etc.... is covered.

There is the Icon Platform M+ which on paper is exactly what I need but there are horror stories aplenty regarding it. I was hoping someone here might have one of the Icon control surfaces and could confirm how good they are as for me they look just what I need and at a great price. I could get a 16 fader system for less than £500. However if it doesn’t work, that’s a £500 doorstop!!
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm still very happy with the Euphonix / Avid Artist units I have. Just saying...
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5311
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Guido3 wrote:Desmond,

I need a control surface with transport controls and the ability to write automation. I have a Softube Console One (which is superb) so tweely EQ, Compression etc.... is covered.

There is the Icon Platform M+ which on paper is exactly what I need but there are horror stories aplenty regarding it. I was hoping someone here might have one of the Icon control surfaces and could confirm how good they are as for me they look just what I need and at a great price. I could get a 16 fader system for less than £500. However if it doesn’t work, that’s a £500 doorstop!!

If you add a Faderport (the older one) the fader will follow the channel selection on the Console 1 and have the desired transport controls. It also sits pretty nicely next to the Softube... :thumbup:

This brand rarely get mention but is used by at least one famous SOS contributor;

https://www.asparion.de/en/electronics/d400.html

Edit: Autocorrect still corrects Softube to Softie... :D
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:08 pm

The big problem with MCUs in my experience is not the faders but the display light behind the LCD screen. This can fade in time especially with the newer units for some reason (as happened on my extender) and getting it replaced is tricky. Otherwise they've been really reliable.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7591
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 pm

I've used both the Mackie MCU and the original Presonus fader port. The Presonus fader was ok, but I convinced myself I needed 8, then I lost my desk space and after a move last year, sadly put the MCU away. But I haven't brought the fader port back. I too have a console 1 (my favorite bit of hardware, pretty much ever) I'll probably put the fader port back into use now that I've learned it follows the Console 1 selection! Thanks Humble Bee!

fwiw, the whole transport, fader thing keeps coming back to me. I love the SSL Nucleus2 but don't need the signal processing side...and it seems there's a gap in product offerings as far as controllers go. It seems to be pads with lots of blinky colors, keyboards, or some almost cool yet somehow lacking attempt to imitate a real board. I'd like to see Mackie release an updated MCU that doesn't weigh 650lbs, take up the whole desk and rely on MIDI to convey data.
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm still very happy with the Euphonix / Avid Artist units I have. Just saying...

Dave, If I end up getting one on your recommendation you do realise you will end up being my helpdesk.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Humble Bee wrote:This brand rarely get mention but is used by at least one famous SOS contributor;

https://www.asparion.de/en/electronics/d400.htmp

That looks lovely. Thanks for the headsup.
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Guido3 wrote:
Humble Bee wrote:This brand rarely get mention but is used by at least one famous SOS contributor;

https://www.asparion.de/en/electronics/d400.htmp" target="phpbbpopup

That looks lovely. Thanks for the headsup.

I rarely choke on cost, but that one cost me a hairball!
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm just getting a 404 on that link. Maybe it was too expensive.

Operationally the Console 1 works nicely alongside my MCU and I daresay the same for other control surfaces.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7591
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I'm just getting a 404 on that link. Maybe it was too expensive.

Typo:
https://www.asparion.de/en/electronics/d400.html

Image

Looks nice, I like the form factor, but quite pricey...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8882
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 am

Lots of blinkenlights, though. Definitely a point in its favour.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7591
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:35 am

I first saw this controller setup on Mike Seniors new location recording rig. I also thought it was a tad expensive but it’s a very sturdy build it seams...
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby OneWorld » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am

Guido3 wrote:Desmond,

I need a control surface with transport controls and the ability to write automation. I have a Softube Console One (which is superb) so tweely EQ, Compression etc.... is covered.

There is the Icon Platform M+ which on paper is exactly what I need but there are horror stories aplenty regarding it. I was hoping someone here might have one of the Icon control surfaces and could confirm how good they are as for me they look just what I need and at a great price. I could get a 16 fader system for less than £500. However if it doesn’t work, that’s a £500 doorstop!!

I have used an ICON QCON for a few years now. I had previously used the Mackie MCU Pro, but I got the ICON off a pal for only £200, he'd only bought it on a whim and moved from music to going back to playing games, so I got an almost brand new ICON, and it has worked flawlessly. My MCU Pro had in the past needed a new USB board (£180) and a new LCD display (£30) I prefer the ICON over the Mackie
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2623
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby OneWorld » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 am

Watchmaker wrote:I've used both the Mackie MCU and the original Presonus fader port. The Presonus fader was ok, but I convinced myself I needed 8, then I lost my desk space and after a move last year, sadly put the MCU away. But I haven't brought the fader port back. I too have a console 1 (my favorite bit of hardware, pretty much ever) I'll probably put the fader port back into use now that I've learned it follows the Console 1 selection! Thanks Humble Bee!

fwiw, the whole transport, fader thing keeps coming back to me. I love the SSL Nucleus2 but don't need the signal processing side...and it seems there's a gap in product offerings as far as controllers go. It seems to be pads with lots of blinky colors, keyboards, or some almost cool yet somehow lacking attempt to imitate a real board. I'd like to see Mackie release an updated MCU that doesn't weigh 650lbs, take up the whole desk and rely on MIDI to convey data.

When you say the Faderport follows the Console 1, does that mean if for example you selected track 19 from the Console 1 would the Faderport also become active on track 19? and thus you don't need to use the Bank controls? and do you mean the Faderport or the Faderport 8?

I have sort of customised a setup where I can select any of 64 tracks, MIDI, or Audio or whatever other kind of track but if above track 8, I have to use the bank controls, which move 8 at a time, so I set up yet another controller which I have set to operate as a channel strip for my UAD plug ins and does 'follow' the track selections, and it doesn't seem as responsive as my controller surface, an ICON QCON

Seems the Softube would perform that function - ad hoc track selection and controls the plugins too - just like a proper channel strip. I was offered one for £225, seems I missed a bargain there :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2623
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 am

User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Watchmaker wrote:fwiw, the whole transport, fader thing keeps coming back to me. I love the SSL Nucleus2 but don't need the signal processing side...and it seems there's a gap in product offerings as far as controllers go. It seems to be pads with lots of blinky colors, keyboards, or some almost cool yet somehow lacking attempt to imitate a real board. I'd like to see Mackie release an updated MCU that doesn't weigh 650lbs, take up the whole desk and rely on MIDI to convey data.
Sounds like the Behringer x-touch range might to the job for you?

I've got a BCF2000, BCR2000 and Korg nanokontrol2 set up here but I've no idea how any of it would work with logic so have been keeping schtum.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8122
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Guido3 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Well, I plumped for an Avid Artist Mix. I took some good advice and read up on the pitfalls and it has worked flawlessly so far. I am even using Mojave so was expecting to have to jump through lots of hoops but it just worked.

I have also picked up an Artist Transport of fleabay for £100 and this too is working well. I will need to spend some time programming the soft-keys to do what I want but I don’t mind spending the time doing that as it will ultimately speed up my workflow :thumbup:
User avatar
Guido3
Regular
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Leicestershire
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:31 pm

:thumbup:
I know they're not for everyone, but having my devices set up has definitely speeded up my work flow.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8122
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am

Guido3 wrote:Well, I plumped for an Avid Artist Mix. I took some good advice and read up on the pitfalls and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Yay!!

Guido3 wrote:I am even using Mojave so was expecting to have to jump through lots of hoops but it just worked.

TBH, the Artist series should be _fairly_ bulletproof to OS updates as they are network devices and the networking stack is quite stable these days! It's arguably a pain as it means you have to have extra networking bits (hub/switch etc) but that's all standard and cheap these days.

Is your Mix silver or the new groovy black? If it's silver, then welcome to the brave new world of worrying about grubby marks and dirt and how best to clean it. Or maybe that's just my ocd ..

;)
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5311
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users