You are here

Neumann KH 120A monitors

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Neumann KH 120A monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:36 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:As I've said, with the controls on the monitors at minimum it isn't a problem.

Fair enough. One of the nice Neumann chaps contacted me about this thread and pointed out that the Genelec 8030's front panel volume control goes from about -60dB up to 0 dB of attenuation. In contrast the KH 120 has back panel controls that adjust the sensitivity of the loudspeaker to the input signal. It's a different technical approach. In the view of Neumann (and I agree with them!), volume control should be done at the source. The problem with the 8030 approach is that setting the two loudspeakers in a pair to precisely matched levels is very hard unless you leave the pots on max.

What would make the issue irrelevant would be if the speaker trim controls on my MC2.1 were actually accessible, but that's also a discussion we've had before :)

:) Yes... Of course, once set up correctly they no longer need to be accessible -- it's a set once and forget kind of deal -- but I do appreciate how hard they can be to get at when configuring the system initially! I just turned it over and laid it on its lid while setting things up...

Edited to add PS, it's all trivial stuff really, I don't want to take away from some excellent monitors and an excellent monitor controller.

Quite right. There is no such thing as perfection! (although I'm very hard pressed to find fault at all with my Crookwood monitor controller or KH310s... :) )

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:18 pm

I used the forerunner K+H O110 for many years (before I upgraded to the Geithain RL906) and compared the O110 to the KH120A when they first came out.

The differences were so minimal that they were almost the same.

The KH120A would still be my No.1 choice for a pair of monitors at the £1k mark.

Numann now do the KH805 sub if you need to go lower than the 53Hz of the 120 - but the 120 are clean and accurate down to the point where they run out of steam.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby forumuser793939 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 pm

The genelecs and the Neu's are both very good.

Though I preferred the ADAM A7X in my tests so bought them. They translate very well. They also look a hell of a lot better too. :bouncy:
forumuser793939
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :wave: :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Nah, much too fussy ... ;)
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 pm

:-) yep... I think I agree! I prefer the more rounded design of the KH120 to the angular ADAMs... But as I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hugh Robjohns

Previous