You are here

Good virtual Synths

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Good virtual Synths

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Zebra is wonderful *but*, it's oldish and Urs has spent a lot of time on better technologies and research into other products in recent years, so in many ways Z2 lags behind the more recent products, both in GUI front end which is not great by modern standards *and* DSP.

Z3, which is what Urs will be focusing on this year, will be the project to bring Zebra up to scratch in terms of interface, and to bring a lot of the technologies they now have into the Zebra platform, and it promises to be great if you want a powerful synth.

In the meantime, Diva is certainly *up there* in terms of good analog synth software modelling, despite being not as architecturally flexible as the semi-modular Zebra is.

(Note Zebra still sounds great and has a bazillion patches out there, but if you want to do analog modelling sounds, Diva is a better bet at this time).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Mister Natural » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:41 pm

so many great ones out there(including many suggested above^)

I'd also add that you might want to demo Z3ta+2 - it's very, very flexible and sounds huge

peace
Mister Natural
Regular
the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as the analog one https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Postby siderealxxx » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Xfer Serum. More usable than any other synth I've tried. It got a lukewarm review in SOS but it's actually incredibly powerful and very quick/easy to use.
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:58 pm

siderealxxx wrote:Xfer Serum. More usable than any other synth I've tried. It got a lukewarm review in SOS but it's actually incredibly powerful and very quick/easy to use.

Kanye West seems to like it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Synthmorph » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Martin Walker wrote:My vote would be for u-he's Diva, which sounds closer to a whole clutch of diverse hardware synths than almost anything else I've tried to date

I did not really like Diva for the first time due to its seemingly limited and clumsy modulation capabilities, but I have to admit: it is very a lively, breathing, instrument after all for nearly any kind of genres / sounds.
Synthmorph
Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am

Enjoying IK Multimedia's Syntronik.

TBH, it really doesn't matter what you go for so long as the feature sets are comprehensive. I am currently running a series of sound design tutorials and all of the percussive sounds are created with FXPansion's Strobe.
Zukan

Previous