You are here

Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby BigRedX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:04 pm

What do you do if you don't have Logic 7?

I went straight from Logic 4 running on a Graphite G4 to Logic 9 on a Mac Pro. As a result I have about 50 songs that I can no longer access. At the moment I don't need to access any of these songs but if I wanted to would the only way be to find someone with Logic 7 and the appropriate hardware to run it on to do this for me?
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:35 pm

BigRedX wrote:What do you do if you don't have Logic 7?

Well that's why I offered to help out.

Archiving projects is a useful format is something that many people don't do - they just save the project file, with third-party plugin dependencies that may not be there in the future, even if the projects can be loaded.

For future proofing important material, it's *always* worth arching projects properly - printing out stems, with and without core plugin processing, save synth patches, print instrument tracks to audio, export MIDI files of the sequences and tempo changes, and so on.

So *at least*, in the future you could load up your audio tracks, and not need the original DAW, instruments, synths, plugins, impulse response files and so on, and still have the project in a way that means it can still be worked upon.

BigRedX wrote:I went straight from Logic 4 running on a Graphite G4 to Logic 9 on a Mac Pro. As a result I have about 50 songs that I can no longer access. At the moment I don't need to access any of these songs but if I wanted to would the only way be to find someone with Logic 7 and the appropriate hardware to run it on to do this for me?

Probably, yes. Again, most people who have old versions of stuff probably still have the versions necessary to move those projects forward. LP7.2 will still run on modern Macs, so it can still be used for conversion where necessary. But if you only had Logic 4, then no Logic until Logic 9, you won't be able to open those old projects unless you use LP7 as an intermediary.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Desmond, Again Many Thanks for the info. The problem I have is that I do not have Logic 7 2.0. which was a purchase 'update' some time back, and, without that I cannot open the other songs I need to remix!
I have tried Logic 7.2.1, and 7.2.3, and Logic Pro 9, but they won't load the songs on the old Mac Pro, or Logic Pro X on El Capitan.
DUH! :tongue:
User avatar
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Kent. UK.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:18 pm

RoastBiff in The UK. wrote:The problem I have is that I do not have Logic 7 2.0. which was a purchase 'update' some time back, and, without that I cannot open the other songs I need to remix! I have tried Logic 7.2.1, and 7.2.3, and Logic Pro 9, but they won't load the songs on the old Mac Pro, or Logic Pro X on El Capitan.


7.2.x should be fine (you'll need 7.2.x as it was when Logic went from PPC to Intel).

("7.2.x" means any version of 7.2 should be fine, whether it's 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.3 etc)

7.2.3 is the latest version of LP7, so use that.

As I already said, LP9 won't work.

You say LP7 won't open your projects - what happens when you try? Do you get error messages?

If you want to put a test project up for me to download somewhere, I can take a look at it (no audio, just the project file).
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 pm

There have been times when I've thought there's a worthwhile business model in setting up a load of old computers running legacy versions of Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc. There must be loads of archive material out there that can't be opened by current machines, or which uses plug-ins that are no longer supported.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:30 pm

'You say LP7 won't open your projects - what happens when you try? Do you get error messages? '

No Desmond, when I try to boot it up on the old Mac Pro, it crashes immediately, and I get the usual, 'Do you want to report this to apple'? Etc.

And, when I try the iMac, El Capitan, I get.

'An eligible Logic Pro Version was not found in the Applications Folder. This Update requires Logic Pro Version 7.2.0.' [color=purple]
User avatar
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Kent. UK.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:42 pm

RoastBiff in The UK. wrote:'You say LP7 won't open your projects - what happens when you try? Do you get error messages? '

No Desmond, when I try to boot it up on the old Mac Pro, it crashes immediately, and I get the usual, 'Do you want to report this to apple'? Etc.

Was this installed on this machine already, or have you just coped the program on to this?

RoastBiff in The UK. wrote:And, when I try the iMac, El Capitan, I get.

'An eligible Logic Pro Version was not found in the Applications Folder. This Update requires Logic Pro Version 7.2.0.' [color=purple]

Yeah, forget this for now - this just means you haven't got a full install of Logic, you've just put on the update. You'd need to install LP7 from scratch to get this to work, and that's a bit beyond the scope of this thread for now.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 am

Yes, LP 7. 2.0 was installed on the Mac Pro when it was released, plus all the previous Emagic versions, and it was working when I booted it up last year sometime.

It's only started crashing on start-up when I opened this thread?

A friend is sending me the original Logic discs for LP 7.2.0, and his codes and XS key.

I'll let you know if I can get it up and running. :tongue:
User avatar
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Kent. UK.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi Again Desmond.
Well I tried to instal the Logic Pro 7.0.0. from the original disc, with the XS Key, onto my Mac Pro, and it all looked fine until the download finished. I then went to Applications, in order to boot up the Logic Pro 7.0.0, but it was nowhere to be found?
I checked all the 4 drives in the Mac Pro, but the download/installation wasn't anywhere on my computer?
Where did it go? After sitting there watching it download, it disappeared?
Any ideas? I'm in limbo while this is (isn't ) happening. :headbang:
User avatar
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Kent. UK.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 pm

RoastBiff in The UK. wrote:Well I tried to instal the Logic Pro 7.0.0. from the original disc, with the XS Key, onto my Mac Pro, and it all looked fine until the download finished. I then went to Applications, in order to boot up the Logic Pro 7.0.0, but it was nowhere to be found?


Is this an old PPC Mac Pro, or a modern-ish Intel Mac Pro?

Logic 7.0.0 is a PPC application. The first version of Logic that will run on an Intel Mac is 7.2.0...

I suggest doing the 7.00 install, and then updating to 7.2.0, and seeing whether that will run from there. Probably all you need to do is put the 7.2.x application file into /Applications after the initial install.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby RoastBiff in The UK. » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Desmond.
My Mac Pro is a Mac Pro.1.1, 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon. 20 gig memory, 2 processors, 4 cores, bus speed.1.33Ghz.
Serial Number. CK640076UPZ.
Hardware UUID. 00000000-0000-8000-0017F202E652.

When I try to install the Logic Pro 7.0, I click on the Logic Pro 7 file on the CD, and the package symbol appears, and I click on that to agree with all the Apple things, then the drive I wish to install it on, I then check the 'contents' box and eliminate the stuff I don't need, like Garage Band files etc. I click on 'Install', but the Logic Pro 7.0 Logo never appears on my desktop, in order to move it to the Applications folder on the main drive?

Is the Mac Pro not capable? It would be strange if it isn't, because I had Logic Pro 8 and 9.0.2 working on it?
But those versions will not open my tracks from 1999 to 2001, that were recorded using Logic Pro 7? :headbang:
User avatar
RoastBiff in The UK.
Regular
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Kent. UK.

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 am

[quote="RoastBiff in The UK."]Is the Mac Pro not capable? It would be strange if it isn't, because I had Logic Pro 8 and 9.0.2 working on it?

Logic Pro 7.0.0 (note the version number) is a PPC application. It was made before Apple had Intel machines, and it won't run on your Intel Mac.

As I said above, install it from your disks. When the install is complete, go and find your application file for 7.2.0 (not the version number) that you have, and copy *that* to the applications folder, and run it. 7.2.0 is the first LP7 version that contains code for Intel machines. Let me know what happens.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Sorry, poor quoting, hadn't had a coffee yet! ;)

Logic Pro 7.0.0 (note the version number) is a PPC application. It was made before Apple had Intel machines, and it won't run on your Intel Mac.

As I said above, install it from your disks. When the install is complete, go and find your application file for 7.2.0 (note the version number) that you have, and copy *that* to the applications folder, and run it. 7.2.0 is the first LP7 version that contains code for Intel machines. Let me know what happens.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby twolocs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 pm

@desmond, I just saw your reply and offer - would you still be willing to convert a handful of Logic 4 songs to a format that I'd be able to open in Logic X Pro? These are MIDI-only songs, no audio tracks. I don't have access to an older Mac, nor to Logic 7.2.x, and the Emagic dongle for my Windows Logic 5 version became corrupted so I'm stuck now.
twolocs
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 am

Ok, but I’m away from home and don’t have my lp7 xskey with me, so it will be a couple of days before I can get to it...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby Still Vibrations » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:There have been times when I've thought there's a worthwhile business model in setting up a load of old computers running legacy versions of Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc. There must be loads of archive material out there that can't be opened by current machines, or which uses plug-ins that are no longer supported.

There's a music engraver on a Finale forum who says he keeps the previous versions of Finale so that he can open older music in the original Finale version.

Apparently this is a very real problem for libraries, archives and museums. My brother is a digital engineer and he keeps a computer that still runs DOS as he occasionally needs it.
User avatar
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

I'll just make a note for others finding this thread, as this seems to be a recurring thing that's happening all too often - offering to help out fellow forum members as a favour is one thing, but I'm not a general service for anyone on the internet needing Logic file conversions - they google, find this thread, register on the forum, and then ask me to help them out.

This note is to say this one is the last time.

For anyone else finding this thread in the future, any more requests will be replied to with a summary of my hourly rates (or maybe a website link to a conversion service).

I don't like to say no, especially when people have problems and can't access data that is important to them. But my favours are not infinite. Thank you for understanding. :thumbup:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Fair enough! :wave:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 22679
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby twolocs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

Great! I'm in no hurry for this, and I'll be out of town this week too. BTW this is a service I'd be willing to pay for; until I saw your post I didn't even know it would be possible. Strangely, I'm unable to post a private message to anyone – I'm waiting to hear from admin about this.
twolocs
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Opening an early Logic song in Logic Pro X?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am

twolocs wrote:Strangely, I'm unable to post a private message to anyone – I'm waiting to hear from admin about this.

It's because you're a new member. As a new member to the forum, your first three posts are held in a moderation queue before being manually authorised and published by one of the moderators, and your to the PM system is also locked out until after your third successful post.

The reason for these measures is to prevent spam content reaching the forum, and to stop abuse of the PM system which we have had in the past. We feel the minor inconvenience to the new member is rewarded by the greatly increased security of established members and the much higher signal-to-noise ratio of the forum content.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 22679
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users