You are here

SOS Tablet App Update

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: SOS Tablet App Update

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:20 pm

I did not buy my subscription to SOS from SOS. I bought it from the Apple Store. I have all the copies of SOS since 2012 on my iPad. - At least I had until today.

Today the App tells me all have to be paid for again. £3.99 each. However you can choose each edition and then choose restore purchases. This process takes a couple of minutes, but then lets you read your bought and paid for edition.

I like to browse past editions - Imagine how long that will take?

Is there any way to restore ALL purchases?
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Actually it's worse. Restore ALL purchases allowed access to the latest SOS. But subsequent efforts to restore each edition did not work at all. I have just paid my latest subscriptions and I can only access one edition of SOS.

This app is useless to me now, my collection of SOS going back to 2012 is lost, and I have no idea who to contact to put it right. Apple store show my subscriptions are all renewed, it tells me how much I paid, but there is NO way to contact support, or make a complaint that I can see. I'm afraid to check Classic Bike and Future Music in case all those are demanding I buy them all again too.

Marvellous innit?
Stuff the forests, lets buy paper magazines again.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:01 pm

There's obviously a problem so please give us some time to investigate your case.

FYI, support@soundonsound.com will get a ticket submitted to our Help Portal, for future reference. See HELP red text at top of any SOS website page too.

We released a new v11.4.1 app recently for iOS. We had to do this as Apple would not recognise or allow the previous v9.2.0 app to exist in its App Store after 30 June, as only those apps compatible with iOS 13 will be stocked by them henceforth.

The new app works differently though. It is not Issue-based but now **Article-based**, so by default it downloads each article/advert as you swipe to it, requiring a wi-fi connection. Unlike the old v9.2.0 app which downloaded the full issue when you first tapped the front cover.

*Because we had to remake all past issues to be Article-based and compliant with this new app format, this means you will have lost them when installing this v11.4.1 app. Unfortunately, you will need to tap each front cover to open a past issue, then tap its Cloud icon to fully download it onto your device. This only needs to be done one time per issue.*

**IMPORTANT: Please read the hamburger menu's FAQs about how to use the Cloud icon to download the entire issue, so it works like before for offline reading.**

NOTE: **there may be a tiny bug in this version for certain iPads which still show the price under the front covers even though you have logged in using your SOS website login details or AppleID login.** Swiping the screen down from the top a few times and/or logging in/out fixes most of them, but not all devices. The App developer company that hosts our app is still working on a resolution, but they tell us this only affects a very small number of iPad users.

So, please tap the front covers on the main library screen and if you have access rights it will open the issue content.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Forum Admin wrote:NOTE: **there may be a tiny bug in this version for certain iPads which still show the price under the front covers even though you have logged in using your SOS website login details or AppleID login.** Swiping the screen down from the top a few times and/or logging in/out fixes most of them, but not all devices.

Yes, I had this bug - it appears to be a redraw issue, as after logging in the screen is not refreshed. If I scroll down and then back up, the screen is then redrawn correctly and the prices go away. All the app really needs to do is refresh the window once you've logged in to update the display correctly, I think.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Worse again! Now even the latest edition is unavailable unless I pay again.

All my SOS issues now demand payment again, going back to 2012.

Thankfully Future Music, and Classic Bike do not suffer from this atrocity, and I am free to read magazines I have paid for over the past eight years. SOS is completely unavailable, even the latest issue, which I hadn't even glanced at yet.

If anyone knows who or how I need to contact I'd be grateful. One thing (of the many things) I don't understand is why I have to use the faulty SOS app, when I bought from the App Store. It was bad enough when it was going to take eons to re-download my magazines, but now I have no magazines to download.

I really do seem to have displeased the gods again, my iPad is entirely unrecognisable to every single one of my Mac computers, from the tiny air, to the 2019 MBP, at least as far as sidecar is concerned. It works perfectly otherwise, and I just updated the iOS to no avail.

Oh Heck! I wonder if thats what screwed the SOS app. Or indeed the fact that no Macs can see it?
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:One thing (of the many things) I don't understand is why I have to use the faulty SOS app, when I bought from the App Store.

It's not an 'SOS App'.

It's a widely used third-party app that SOS employs, along with many other publishers, for accessing its content. The recent update and change of functionality in this app was not of SOS's making, and both the redesign and the timing of its implementation was forced by Apple.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The recent update and change of functionality in this app was not of SOS's making, and both the redesign and the timing of its implementation was forced by Apple.

Well I never did like Apple, as I think is well known here, although I own lots of them. As usual, there are complications that normally befall people like me, because we expect things to work without having to be geek enough to figure out why things don't work. For example the app doesn't work. The workarounds don't work. BUT there also seems to be a secondary problem in that the iPad (albeit with the latest updates) itself is not functioning correctly in that it can't be seen by any of my macs. Is this secondary problem part of the primary problem? Who knows? Who the hell cares? I value my collection of old SOS's. I also have all of Tape Op from first to last. Reading an old Tape Op recently I was reminded of PZM microphones, and immediately ordered one. I'm old, I'm nostalgic, and OK I'm Grumpy. Things like suddenly losing an 8 year old collection of SOS's upset my day.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Things like suddenly losing an 8 year old collection of SOS's upset my day.

Understandable. But if we had not updated the app by the deadline nobody using an iPad or Android would have had any App to read with.

The fact that our app developer/platform hosting media company chose to shove us into changing the App to be article-based instead of issue-based has meant none of the past issues on your device were compatible with this app, requiring you to load them all back on gradually by tapping the cloud icon and downloading in full. Tedious, we know, but out of our control. :frown:

We ain't happy about this either. :protest:

The app does work on our iPads and iPad Pros, but does require swiping down from the top a couple of times to force a screen refresh (due to this buglet, which hopefully will get eradicated).

You have to remember that Apple are merely middlemen and do not host any app or any content they 'market' through their iTunes App Store (apart from their own apps) -- these are hosted by the app seller on their own servers or on app platform host servers.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Today I thought it was fixed. After I "restored all" it appeared that all were restored, but scrolling down, I saw that April 2019 and everything before that was 3.99. So I restored all from that point, and it unrestored everything back to 3.99 except for the latest edition.

It actually disabled my touch screen which meant I could not even switch off the iPad . Luckily the home button worked so I asked SIRI to shut down. "Nice talking to you" it replied, and shut the ipad down. Touch screen was restored on power up, but the SOS copies were not.

:(
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 am

Seems to be mostly fixed.

There is a small group between June 2012 to December 2012 still at 3.99, however in 2012 I was mostly penniless, and working for scraps in Algeria, and may not have been able to afford the subscription until January 2013. I clearly recall reading some of these, particularly Behringer X32, and Sinatra in the Studio, but it may well have been individual paper purchases bought later in Bangkok. I just don't know.

Thank you very much for fixing this for me. It's nice to have them back.

H.D. Time
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Previous