You are here

Fault on a Soundcraft Spirit Folio Mixing Desk

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Fault on a Soundcraft Spirit Folio Mixing Desk

Postby FabN » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello,
Had the same kind of issue with mine. It was one of the two symetrical voltage that failed.
Fixed by changing the voltage transformer.
My desk is 20 years old, appart from changing the input voltage transformer and potentiometers, is working like a charm, so far!

-FabN- from France
FabN

Postby swrbassamp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:49 am

Hi! I have the same mixer. I wanted to connect it to the computer via interface, to use it for some home recordings. When I connected it I couldn't see if there's any signal sent. I am not currently using any monitoring, so I cannot hear if there is anything sent, but when I turn the mic channel on I can see no lights showing signal flow, except when I press the pfl button, then it seems to get the signal and shows dynamic range and reacts to Gain. The Phantom power is on, all the connections seem to be right, cables as well, so I have no idea why there's no signal going through, unless the pfl button is pressed...
swrbassamp

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:39 am

swrbassamp wrote:Hi! I have the same mixer. I wanted to connect it to the computer via interface, to use it for some home recordings. When I connected it I couldn't see if there's any signal sent. I am not currently using any monitoring, so I cannot hear if there is anything sent, but when I turn the mic channel on I can see no lights showing signal flow, except when I press the pfl button, then it seems to get the signal and shows dynamic range and reacts to Gain. The Phantom power is on, all the connections seem to be right, cables as well, so I have no idea why there's no signal going through, unless the pfl button is pressed...

What is the make and model of the interface?
Which DAW are you using?
How exactly is the mixer connected to the interface?
Surely you at least have headphones?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 pm

As Dave says, a few more questions before answers but also, there's (sometimes, depending on model) a little purple "channel on" button at the top of the fader which is often the cause of such issues.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm

I've had a couple of Soundcraft desks over the years and, as Mr Beat says, they both had an 'on' button instead of a 'mute' button. I found this pretty confusing at times. It would have been much easier if they had stuck with convention and had 'mute' buttons :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OTE2020 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:03 pm

''The desk is old, bought brand new in 1993 so it has long outlived it's expected lifespan, and so I expect that the problem is that it has just hit the end of it's life, but I just wanted to check first as money is very tight for me at the moment, (typical musician :P ) and it would be great to not spend money on repairs that don't work, or on a new desk that I don't need.''

Lets be honest that bloody amazing ! There is a company called top hat electronics that have fixed some old kit of mine before at a very fair price & turned around without a couple of weeks, might help :) ( https://www.facebook.com/tophatelectronics if allowed to post - i have NO connection to this company for the record, just used them & had a super service from them)

Keep it alive ;)
OTE2020
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 am

That post was from the original (pre-resurrected) part of the thread but, to be fair, it was pretty amazing then.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 am

Well I'm still using a 1981 vintage MM mixing desk for the occasional gig and the main studio desk was made in 1991 (as well has having a couple of others from the late 80's) so many mixing desks have a habit of lasting quite a while.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 pm

James Perrett wrote:Well I'm still using a 1981 vintage MM mixing desk for the occasional gig...

I have a vague memory of something Seck-like with MM on it, is that the one you mean or am I over-remembering?

I actually have one of the the Spirit SX desks stashed away in a hermetically sealed SKB case waiting for the time when it becomes vintage.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Previous