You are here

Old Studio rebuild

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Studio rebuild

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 pm

:D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am

looks good indeed :clap: :clap: :clap:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Well, six months in and nothing significant has changed from my last post. The signal and network tie lines are still waiting and the dropbox links are currently dead. The room is getting used most days for brief recording/listening sessions and is a very nice place to record/rehearse/mess around. In the current heatwave it has the added bonus of being 18ºC most of the time so air-con has proved to be unnecessary (at least for normal use) now I don't have a de-humidifier running 24/7.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr R » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: The room is getting used most days for brief recording/listening sessions and is a very nice place to record/rehearse/mess around. In the current heatwave it has the added bonus of being 18ºC most of the time...

Sounds like you have achieved exactly what you need on all fronts then :D :clap:
My better half was complaining that the office/spare bedroom has turned into my den, and I jokingly suggested I build a proper space at the end of the garden. She was very keen on the idea - which is a reflection both on her desire for tidiness and how slow my progress is on learning to play bass!

I think I'll put the effort into practicing - I've done enough DIY over the years ;)
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 am

Yup, very happy bunny here...... :D

Bass is as much about feel as anything, work on playing very simple bass lines with a great groove. One of my favourite bass players was a pretty rubbish technician but boy could he groove. Get him with a decent drummer and I was in lead guitar heaven :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Since the dropbox links are now all gone I've put some of the pics in here:- http://tinypic.com/a/ayvtpv/2
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm

The asymmetry of your speakers still irks my OCD. I think i'd have been tempted to remove the front plate in some way and flip it round.
But the room does look lovely now. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks BD, and, yes it does me too :headbang: unfortunately the baffle is rebated for the drivers and reversing them would just result in a different asymmetry.......

Still thinking about some KH120s though... (and then I could run both my apple monitors side by side :D )
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 pm

G4M have the new KH80s in for £800 the pair at the moment.
Just sayin' ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 am

Scan is just up the road from me, I will give them a call when the time is right.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Scan is just up the road from me

All things being relative. I wouldn't like to walk it. :headbang:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:29 pm

T'is nearer than G4M though..... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm

True. And after all, whilst you wouldn't want to travel that far for a pint of milk we're talking musical toys here.

Last year I just happened to pop up the road to HW Music (about 5 miles from Scan) one Saturday morning, whilst my wife was away, and accidentally purchased a PRS guitar. All completely unplanned :shh:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Yeah, it's funny how that sometimes happens isn't it?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous