You are here

changing magazine subscription address...

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

changing magazine subscription address...

Postby ramthelinefeed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm

If I've moved house and need to change the delivery address of my magazine subscription,
do I just change me address details on my account on this site?
Or do I need to contact SOS in some other way?
I only ask because my most recent mag went to my old address... but that just coulda been cos I changed my details too close to the mail-out time...
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Re: changing magazine subscription address...

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Feline

MY ACCOUNT is the master when it comes to postal address details (and login emails), so yes, all you need to do is change it there.

We work in advance with exporting mailing lists that get sent to our UK and US printers, which catches most people out. Typically, any address change made after the 1st of September (or the closest working day, as an example) would be too late to alter the postal delivery of the OCTOBER issue; it would get sent to whatever address was in your My Account on the 1st of the month prior to the cover month, eg. 1st September for October issue; 1st October for November issue, and so-on.

But this is not a hard and fast rule, as deadlines pull closer together as we approach Christmas shutdown, official holidays and major exhibitions.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,606 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby zenguitar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I've just had a look at the subscription support pages and the instructions are to update your address exactly as you have done. You are probably correct thinking that you updated your address after the magazines had started the mailing process.

(Ian managed to give a full reply while I was typing)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Carlos Maline » Thu May 02, 2019 9:59 pm

The website appears bugged atm. I cannot use the terrible GUI to change ANY details other than Profile pic or Signature....Helpful
Carlos Maline

Postby zenguitar » Fri May 03, 2019 12:59 am

Go to the very top of the web page where you will see a menu bar with one option labeled MY ACCOUNT. It's a link, click on it.

That will take you to a new page. You will see your user name, and below that a row of rectangular buttons with labels. The page you are on is 'view'. The next button is labeled 'Edit'. Click on that rectangle.

That takes you to a new page with a number of tabs. That page is the Account Tab. Next to the Account Tab you will see the Address Tab. Just click on the Address Tab and you will be taken to a new screen where you can amend your address.

From what you describe, you have been trying to change your address in the Forum MY CONTROL PANEL setting. We so rarely need to change any of our account or forum settings that it is easy to get confused. If it's any consolation, I was involved in Alpha and Beta testing on the new site and I still get confused from time to time.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 03, 2019 1:14 am

Carlos Maline wrote:The website appears bugged atm. I cannot use the terrible GUI to change ANY details other than Profile pic or Signature....Helpful

For what its worth, as a long time user of the SOS website I was quite critical of some of the aspects of its navigation when the site was updated with the latest forum software. If I'm totally honest, most of my complaints were down to the fact I rather liked the old look and feel and had got used to it.

Having regularly used the new version for what seems like forever now, I am a convert, and although initially some of the navigation is a little non-intuitive the first time you use it I've now found that once you know where things are it does make sense.

It took me ages to be able to find the forum private messages without having to hunt for it, for example :)

SOS are primarily focussed on creating content for and publishing the magazine, as they should be of course. The forums are thriving and quite a lot of work to manage for a relatively small staff and we're very lucky to have them, so although the site navigation does have its quirks I would hesitate to call it 'bugged'. It works, you just need to find what you're looking for.

The good news is that posting any feedback or comments to these forums always results in assistance from helpful people, and hopefully the responses above bear that assertion out :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri May 03, 2019 9:48 pm

I do agree with the last bit of what you say, Eddy. However some of the navigation really is poor, messages being a fine example. The basic rule for finding anything seems to be: it's not here, try somewhere else. However I do think that these problems come from the base software, not the in-house developers, and the criteria used in selecting phpBB very likely went well beyond mundane stuff like navigation (things like scaleability and resilience would rightly have higher priority). So I guess I can live with it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.