You are here

SPL HPm headphone amplifier

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: SPL HPm headphone amplifier

Postby Alex_Nino_ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi, I'm a new member here and created an account just to ask this - I just bought one of these SPL HPms and would love it if someone knows if you can buy a wooden on metal stand to fit it? I don't own any other 500 series stuff so buying a big old rack thing is not a great idea. I don't mind just using it as a desktop device, I already have an SPL Crimson elsewhere in my setup, I'm just hoping there's a manufacturer making some sort of stand or box it'll fit into snugly and look the part. Ebay and Google searches have not been fruitful so far. Thanks in advance! Alex
Alex_Nino_

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 am

I am confused Alex? You have bought a device that need the power supplies found in a 500 series "rack box" and yet do not have the box? How do you intend to power it?

Assuming you have that sorted I would think you could find a skilled cabinet maker* who could make you a wooden sleeve? You might like to search for people that make custom guitar amp head sleeves.

*Were dad, master cabinet maker still around he would have made a FORTUNE! Had a tea chest full of exotic woods collected over 70 years. Rosewood, Teaks, Sycamore is nice...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:31 am

The minimum vertical slot count racks I've found have 3 slots.

As the HPm is a dual-width unit, so will need at least 2 slots, I'd suggest considering a 3-unit rack with a blanking plate for the empty slot.

Though as you've started down the 500 series route, can you see yourself getting some more units in the future? If so, getting a bigger slot-count now would be cost-saving.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mixedup » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Wonks wrote:The minimum vertical slot count racks I've found have 3 slots.

Sound Skulptor do a 1-slot one... Doesn't really solve this particular issue, though!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:26 pm

I've seen a 2-slot one, but horizontal mounting, so 2 x 1U slots, which doesn't help either.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853