You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 am

cyrano.mac wrote:You can't stop progress...

Many supercars used to have a Ford V8. The easiest way out to get some muscle in there. Today, Nissan (or Mitsubishi?) is testing a 1,5 liter four cilinder at Le Mans. The thing makes 400 HP, without even going into crazy high RPM.

I was just watching this vid, with Sylvia Massey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTnHEHzFOFU

It's enlightening. From the gimmick, (the pickle) to the interesting. And the interesting is that any gear can do, if you're creative. Sylvia's even got an AKG C1000 and found a use for that. The C1000 is one of the most dreaded mics on the interwebs.

It shows that it isn't the gear you use, but what you do with it.

Of course, a Behringer won't sound exactly the same as it's 50 years old original. Why? Because that original doesn't sound the same as it did when it was new. Besides, I've never come across vintage gear that sounded the same as another one...

Vintage gear sounds great. Because of the way our memory works. We tend to remember the great ones and forget about the bad ones.

I think if we disregard ultimate authenticity and performance, it's really about feel, emotion, and inspiration regarding buying real vintage instruments. The wow factor before you've even played a note. Those thick aluminium side panels, the sea of multi coloured switches and knobs, the sheer size, it's all part of the whole experience for the player, and also, let's not forget, the audience. I could easily take Hauptwerk and a laptop into a church and play the organ, but it would die in comparison to hearing and "seeing" those wonderful pipes and console surrounding me.
I'm a car nut too, and I would be the first to admit absolutely, that any decent modern high performance car will run rings around its vintage counterpart. But vintage Ferraris and the like still sell for millions, and the reason is what I said above, and I want to feel like I'm actually driving something, not virtually being driven by the car.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 am

The way their Odyssey is presented in Google is a bit unfortunate,

Image
User avatar
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am

:lol: :bouncy: :oops:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24298
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:13 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: :bouncy: :oops:

Hugh, thought I'd mention this, totally off-topic, but cars?
There just happens to be, totally beyond belief, a guy a few streets away from me with a Griff that looks exactly like mine, colour etc, I saw him parked in Tescos, and wandered over to have a chat, I said "how are you getting on with it?" His words were.....

It scares me to "b****y death"

:)
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am

Arpangel wrote:I said "how are you getting on with it?" His words were.....
It scares me to "b****y death"
:)

Probably a good attitude to have towards it to stay alive! :thumbup:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24298
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 am

cyrano.mac wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTnHEHzFOFU

It's enlightening. From the gimmick, (the pickle) to the interesting. And the interesting is that any gear can do, if you're creative. Sylvia's even got an AKG C1000 and found a use for that.

:lol: I can think of lots of uses for the C1000 too... and not all of them as the designers intended... :o

Huge respect for Sylvia's work, and -- as you say -- creativity trumps almost everything else... -- but not safety!

Am I the only one that gets really frustrated when someone so apparently knowledgable spouts utter technical rubbish in a way that others are likely to believe to be true! For example, she talks about how she wired a battery into a vintage telephone handset "to raise the output to line level"... (11:10 into the video). Arrgghh... That's an embarrassing and fundamental non-understanding of the operating principle of a carbon microphone right there...

In case anyone is still reading my mini-rant... diaphragm movement in a carbon button microphone causes varying pressure between carbon granules which results in a varying resistance, but that can only be translated into a varying electrical voltage -- which is what most mic preamps require -- if the capsule is biased with a DC voltage -- hence the need for the battery. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "raising the signal to line level"... :crazy: Hope she get's it right for her new book... ;)

And hopefully, the story about the band and the faulty amp is embellished... because it's quite horrific to think Sylvia would encourage and allow anyone to use a known dangerously faulty amp (16:20)... :o :o :o :o

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24298
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:20 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I said "how are you getting on with it?" His words were.....
It scares me to "b****y death"
:)

Probably a good attitude to have towards it to stay alive! :thumbup:

The only reason I haven't "floored it" yet is because I'm scared of ending up facing the opposite direction.
I need to go on a track day, where I can really get a feel for how it behaves at limits.
Better get back on topic now!
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: .. she talks about how she wired a battery into a vintage telephone handset "to raise the output to line level"... (11:10 into the video). Arrgghh... That's an embarrassing and fundamental non-understanding of the operating principle of a carbon microphone right there...

I was a bit confused by that, but let it slide as it's not unknown for people to mis-speak when on camera.
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5275
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grossy