You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:08 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:But that’s always been the secret of success, just slow everything right down, and on top of that, you can take it even further, by adding a nice, long reverb, Brian Eno swore by it.
But he didn’t take it far enough, a friend and I, we recorded all of Harold Budd's piano pieces onto a Portastudio, and slowed them right down, it was a 200% improvement on the originals.

Sort of related: have you experimented with Paulstretch? Martin posted a link a while back and I was hooked. I find it a great tool for ambient drones, washes and to resample to make pads etc.

That program looks great Eddy, but I’m wondering, you’ll have to excuse me! but what’s "source code"? Can I just download and install like any other program? A lot of the terminology is a bit weird.

:blush:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Arpangel wrote:That program looks great Eddy, but I’m wondering, you’ll have to excuse me! but what’s "source code"? Can I just download and install like any other program? A lot of the terminology is a bit weird.

Yes, the main Paulstretch is a standalone audio utility, into which you load your WAV file before submitting it to electrickery. The source code is also available for programmers who want to explore how Paul Nasca did it, but you don't need that to use it.

I believe there's now also a VST plug-in version available, although with its stated intention of being able to turn a 1 minute sound into an entire album-length extravaganza, I'm not sure how it would work as a plug-in ;)

EDIT: My brain :headbang: I've just remembered that I downloaded the VST version yonks ago, but never got around to trying it. I've just done that and it's actually a clever implementation - you 'capture' a length of incoming audio in your project and can then play it back using all the usual Paulstretch controls, so yes, it does work successfully within a DAW 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Paulstretch is great fun and secret weapon!
Being a Mac guy I found that it was based on a PC feel for navigating and other actions. I remember it installed easily enough and if I kept files on the desktop that made navigating to them less tedious than having to dig into hard drives then into deeper folders every time.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Martin I have a vague memory of a popular classical choral piece that got stretched to last 24 hours. I can’t recall if it was done by Paulstretch. This was quite a few years ago. It was pretty cool to listen to, I remember that!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Martin I have a vague memory of a popular classical choral piece that got stretched to last 24 hours. I can’t recall if it was done by Paulstretch. This was quite a few years ago. It was pretty cool to listen to, I remember that!

I'll keep my eyes open and post a link here if I come across it.

EDIT: 1 MINUTE LATER - I suspect you might be referring to this 24-minute Mozart - Requiem - Lacrimosa (paulstretch) slow version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJKGqx2-Mfk

Stunningly beautiful!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Yes! Fantastic that’s it. Thanks. You would think that extreme stretching would lead to a lot of glitchiness but somehow Paulstretch is so smooooth.

Update - my mistake -
It was this version - 24 hours of Beethovens 9th

https://www.npr.org/2002/11/26/858257/c ... hovens-9th

And if you like long pieces of music this one lasts 28 hours roughly. I went to part of a performance of it. Satie’s Vexations
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexations
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:But that’s always been the secret of success, just slow everything right down, and on top of that, you can take it even further, by adding a nice, long reverb, Brian Eno swore by it.
But he didn’t take it far enough, a friend and I, we recorded all of Harold Budd's piano pieces onto a Portastudio, and slowed them right down, it was a 200% improvement on the originals.

Sort of related: have you experimented with Paulstretch? Martin posted a link a while back and I was hooked. I find it a great tool for ambient drones, washes and to resample to make pads etc.

That program looks great Eddy, but I’m wondering, you’ll have to excuse me! but what’s "source code"? Can I just download and install like any other program? A lot of the terminology is a bit weird.

:blush:

Sorry, I missed this request for more info.

As Martin said, you don't need the source code as a 'normal end user'. The source code is the actual code the programmer wrote, which is then read by a special program called a compiler which in turn produces an executable file from it (also often termed a 'binary' file). It is the end result, the executable, that you need.

Think of the source code as the recipe and the binary as the cake. As a hungry passer-by you only want the cake!

I had a quick search but I don't see a Mac binary. Maybe someone here can help (I'm afraid I haven't used OS X for ages as I moved to a PC, and my old Mac Pro is now just a file store) but you can get the VST from here: https://xenakios.wordpress.com/paulxstretch-plugin/ - scroll down the page for a download link.

If it's of use to anyone else, I have put the Windows binary on my Google drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing (I believe you only need the .exe file from there, nothing else). This avoids the annoyance that is the official download site and all its cookie settings and so on.

Paulstretch is, to put it bluntly, absolutely epic. Not only in what it does, but in how beautifully small and convenient the program is. I threw my One Synth Challenge track into it and stretched it from just under 5 minutes in length to over 2 hours(!).

The resulting ambient wash is glorious. I wanted to audition it quickly but ended up listening to about 45 minutes of it, starting at a random point in the middle and I've already started a completely new piece which is pseudo-classical piano combined with the evolving loveliness than Paulstretch produced as the background pad (Martin, this is finally me getting round to following up on that discussion we had when I last saw you!)
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Martin Walker wrote:EDIT: 1 MINUTE LATER - I suspect you might be referring to this 24-minute Mozart - Requiem - Lacrimosa (paulstretch) slow version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJKGqx2-Mfk
Stunningly beautiful!

That lead me to Debussy's 'Claire de Lune x 800%'. Have to say I found it interesting but a little frustrating. Knowing the notes, I spent the whole time willing them to happen sooner. Perhaps it might work better when accompanied by some form of induced relaxation....
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Given that we're almost up to 80 pages under this thread title, and we now really have drifted well off the Behringer topic, would anyone object strongly if I lock this down and start a new thread for new and ongoing Behringer prodcucts discussions?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Given that we're almost up to 80 pages under this thread title, and we now really have drifted well off the Behringer topic, would anyone object strongly if I lock this down and start a new thread for new and ongoing Behringer prodcucts discussions?

H

Yes, I would :madas:

No, just kidding - I wondered if I could tip the balance to 80 pages before you did lock it :D
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... we now really have drifted well off the Behringer topic...H

I thought that was the charm of this particular topic and that it would be interesting to see how far it would run... but no, no objection 8-)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:24 pm

You'll have to try a bit harder... :shh:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Surely...

this...

would...

do...

it.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Oh, it may never happen, Eddy...
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:09 pm

<AOL_mode>
Does anyone know what the current situation is with Behringer copying all the great synths.
</AOL_mode>

That should do it :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext