You are here

Band artwork: for CD, stage, tshirts, etc., legal

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Band artwork: for CD, stage, tshirts, etc., legal

Postby BigRedX » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Don't use Pantone colours unless you are intending to print them as special colours. Many Pantone colours are not accurately reproducible in CMYK, so if everything is going to be CMYK only you will be disappointed when you get your product back from the printers.

If this was for my band, I would be asking for everything to be done to print resolution (normally 300 PPI) at A2 Portrait size with all the important information/design to be contained within a square crop for CD/vinyl packaging. That way you get something that can be repurposed for just about all your promotional needs.

If your artist/graphic designer does not understand what is required for your intended printing processes, then you are using the wrong artist/graphic designer.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:42 pm

BigRedX wrote:Don't use Pantone colours unless you are intending to print them as special colours. Many Pantone colours are not accurately reproducible in CMYK, so if everything is going to be CMYK only you will be disappointed when you get your product back from the printers.

If this was for my band, I would be asking for everything to be done to print resolution (normally 300 PPI) at A2 Portrait size with all the important information/design to be contained within a square crop for CD/vinyl packaging. That way you get something that can be repurposed for just about all your promotional needs.

If your artist/graphic designer does not understand what is required for your intended printing processes, then you are using the wrong artist/graphic designer.

That's right, thanks, I thought I remembered the Pantone gamut was all inside the CYMK one but actually it isn't. Plain CYMK is best for print.

On the size side.. for large-size reproductions, vector graphics are of course cool because they can be scaled, but if you have say, a photograph, you really need to have it in a large enough resolution. In old times as a photographer one would use large film sizes for these kind of jobs (that is much larger than the then-ubiquitous 35mm). Nowadays it's just about using the best resolution you can get. That said, a large picture is made for being seen by far away, and nowadays digital photo resolutions are very good, so it's not a big problem so long you take the picture with a camera with a decent sensor. I've seen regular pictures printed on wide-format printers with great results. And cinemas pictures are "printed" on the big screen from 35mm.. (actually a little less)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BigRedX » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am

Remember also that unless you are feeling particularly flush, it is not normally economical to print T-shirts in full colour - or at least not by any method that will last as long as the T-shirt material itself. So you'll need a one or two colour version of your design for your T-shirts. Since these are "spot colours" you will need a Pantone reference for the colours used.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby 4TrackMadman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks!
Yes, I'll have to think about tees as well folding into less colors. Hopefully we'll use a relatively small pallette white, black, dark blue, red for the painting so that should work well.
Ugh...this is definitely headache inducing :)
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Previous