You are here

Bricasti M7 - worth it?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Bricasti M7 - worth it?

Postby CS70 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 am

I could get a Bricasti unit at a quite reasonable price (cheap it ain't, but much less expensive than otherwise) and could be an option to re-invest some music proceedings in getting even better quality productions.

I am inclined to pass, as I think I can get pretty much the ambience I want using reverb and delays and don't feel my knowledge of reverbs is such that I have reached the limits of the kit I have. I also can use UAD plugins on my Apollo, so for a (quite) smaller amount of money I can get any of their reverbs, should I feel the need. Also, the Bricasti is an algorithmic reverb, so nothing that in principle cannot be reproduced on any computer.

Yet, I've never tried an M7 - and everywhere I look, I read it's gold.

Anyone here with first hand experience? New, it's a bloody large amount of money for a DSP (which will soon be outdated) and some code. Used, it's still a very large amount of money - the one I can get is just.. large. Is it really that different?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Bricasti M7 - worth it?

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri May 11, 2018 8:59 am

If you want a flavour of the Bricasti sound you could try out the LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven plug-in, which recreates all the Bricasti presets using a form of dynamic convolution.

They do sound great to my ears.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 am

I think the Bricasti is probably the best-sounding hardware reverb on the market at present. But, as always, it's a case of diminishing returns and the very small perceived quality advantage it offers over other reverb models costs a disproportionate amount.

Only you can decide whether investing that amount of money is worthwhile -- either to the sound of your mixes, or to your peace of mind in knowing you're using the best possible tools.

Personally, I'm quite happy to stick with my old hardware reverbs (Lexicon PCM90 and TC M-One) along with UAD's various classic and modern reverb plugins... But if someone offered me a Bricasti at silly money, I'd consider it very seriously!

FYI There are a lot of Bricasti IRs available on line which you can run in the convolution plugin engine of your choice. I don't think they sound exactly the same... but they are very popular!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:FYI There are a lot of Bricasti IRs available on line which you can run in the convolution plugin engine of your choice.

I use the Simplicity M7 Impulse Responses with Studio One Pro's native Open Air convolution reverb, and they work well, and give a realistic flavour to the mix.

Available as donation ware from: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby CS70 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks guys, I think I have my answer - I'll try the convolution plugin and see what I can hear :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 am

Depends on what DAW you are running, but you may already have a convo-verb in there. I find that running a few choice impulse response's in Cubase's Reverence is good enough most of the time.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun May 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:FYI There are a lot of Bricasti IRs available on line which you can run in the convolution plugin engine of your choice.

I use the Simplicity M7 Impulse Responses with Studio One Pro's native Open Air convolution reverb, and they work well, and give a realistic flavour to the mix.

Available as donation ware from: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

I reviewed these Samplicity IRs way back in one of my PC Notes columns, and have since befriended their developer Peter Emanuel Roos on Facebook, and they are still the best M7 captures I've heard :thumbup:

He REALLY knows what he's doing: www.samplicity.com/about/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks Martin, haven't yet the time to try them out but I'll be more than happy to pay some money for them if I'm able to make use of them!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 pm

The Elf wrote:Depends on what DAW you are running, but you may already have a convo-verb in there. I find that running a few choice impulse response's in Cubase's Reverence is good enough most of the time.

Thx Elf, yes I have PerfectSpace - still 32bit but works just fine in Cakewalk.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm

to misquote Spinal Tap "but it goes to 11"
Replace with "but it's a Bricasti"
Sometimes the inspiration from an expensive piece of gear makes it well worth the price of admission.

Signed,
Devils Advocate
:madas:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri May 18, 2018 1:39 pm

No, it's not worth it*

It is amazing. There's no doubt about that - it sounds lovely. But it will not sell one more record, yield one extra download or stream, youtube play or sync. The quality of plug in reverbs, even basic ones, is enough that you can almost always get the job done very well if you have the skills and experience. And we're not typically up against it on the processing front at the moment either - we don't need to 'save cpu' all that much in the way we used to.

And there's a downside to any stereo hardware reverb - it's a single stereo hardware reverb. You can't have a handful of them doing different jobs, and you need to interface with the unit, recall it later, etc.

*The caveat, and there always is one, is that if money is no object, you'd have the best. And for some things, the bricasti is the best. If you were mixing films, orchestral scores etc at the top of the industry, with an effectively limitless budget (at least in this context) then you'd have four of them with a controller.

So, anyway, in short no. And I have owned and sold one for the reasons above.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:No, it's not worth it*

It is amazing. There's no doubt about that - it sounds lovely. But it will not sell one more record, yield one extra download or stream, youtube play or sync. The quality of plug in reverbs, even basic ones, is enough that you can almost always get the job done very well if you have the skills and experience. And we're not typically up against it on the processing front at the moment either - we don't need to 'save cpu' all that much in the way we used to.

And there's a downside to any stereo hardware reverb - it's a single stereo hardware reverb. You can't have a handful of them doing different jobs, and you need to interface with the unit, recall it later, etc.

*The caveat, and there always is one, is that if money is no object, you'd have the best. And for some things, the bricasti is the best. If you were mixing films, orchestral scores etc at the top of the industry, with an effectively limitless budget (at least in this context) then you'd have four of them with a controller.

So, anyway, in short no. And I have owned and sold one for the reasons above.

J

Well put, Jack. Indeed, it's been long time since I couldn't get exactly the kind of ambience I want with nothing more than an old convolution reverb, four/five impulse responses and a good delay. For a moment, the allure of the "magic box" had tempted me, but agree it makes very little sense unless money is no object, which is not, alas, the case for me :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)