You are here

Recommended use of overdrive/distortion pedals

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Recommended use of overdrive/distortion pedals

Postby Funkyflash5 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 am

And then there's the use of a clean boost to push any or all of the aforementioned gain devices further. And the flip side of using the volume on the guitar to change how the various stages break up. And the use of eq or tone either before or after gain to change the response and how it sits in the mix. The possibilities are endless, and only you can decide which is the "right" choice for what you're playing.
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Funkyflash5 wrote:The possibilities are endless, and only you can decide which is the "right" choice for what you're playing.
But there's an internet full of people who will be happy to tell you that what you're doing is wrong! :mrgreen:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:12 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Funkyflash5 wrote:The possibilities are endless, and only you can decide which is the "right" choice for what you're playing.
But there's an internet full of people who will be happy to tell you that what you're doing is wrong! :mrgreen:

You're wrong! ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby adrian_k » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 pm

I’m wrong, and so’s my wife.

Just to keep it slightly on topic, I’m a Boss eq for shaped boost into a Marshall overdrive thing into the amp man meself. Combinations of that plus guitar volume knob seems to allow me to fool most of the people...
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

There is very little science in this and as almost everyone said, very subjective but there is a situation with a valve front end that is a bit special and not always understood.

The hottest humbucker will rarely put out more than 4 volts peak to peak even under severe thrashing.
By far THE most common input valve, the ECC83 (if biased correctly, usually are) will barely get into distortion for such a voltage. Such a stage will however amplify by up to 60X 35dB, so inputs well below 4V pk-pk, as they normally are, will get that second stage distorting.

Even if you just used a "boost" pedal which did not distort, with a 9V supply you could be getting 7-8V pk-pk quite easily from even a wimpy Strat and just start the first valve into distortion. Cascading distorted sound into another stage which then distorts produces different effects especially since the two distorted waveforms are inverted as they go from one stage to the other (this is important)

Of course, most "drive" pedals produce distortion of their own and whether you like it or not or if it suits the " genre" is in the lap of the gods!

"Distortion pedals into big amps". Discussion about this entitled "do we still need big amplifiers?" over at thefretboard.com LOT of very opinionated and passionate people there going on ENDLESSLY about amps, pedals, speakers!!!!

If you want more technical (but simple maths) information about valves and distortion I commend you to "Tube pre amplifiers for guitar and bass" by Merlin Blencowe. Beware other books about guitar amps. Many are partisan and full of subjective and technical bllx!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Fantastic thoughts here well laid out.
A quick left turn - in the posted photo of the pedal board all pedals are connected by those short cables. Are those cables built to withstand such an extreme bend? Or could they possibly fail at some point? Assuming they are not lowest quality cables.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:48 pm

The cables are not being bent and re-bent with any frequency so decent ones should be fine. I've never had one fail in the cable, only the very occasional connector.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous