You are here

Stop a clone of C:// storing a copy of the recycle bin contents...?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Stop a clone of C:// storing a copy of the recycle bin contents...?

Postby Elephone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello. I cloned my C:// (Windows) drive on a spare HDD I installed. Recently, I noticed Windows kept telling me the drive was getting full and I realised it was when the recycle bin was filling up.

I'd prefer the clone not to store (or even acknowledge) the contents of the recycle bin so I don't have to keep clearing it in case of mistakes.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Stop a clone of C:// storing a copy of the recycle bin contents...?

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am

A clone is a one time action where you snapshot the whole drive or partition.
The shouldn't be an ongoing part of the process.

What it sounds like your describing is an incremental backup, where it backs up a portion (or complete drive) once and then on a schedule proceeds to backup whatever changed in the interim, normally on a day by day or week by week basis?

If so, you can normally pick and choose what folders to monitor and backup.

If not, I'm a little confused as to the process you're currently using.

What package are we discussing?
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Elephone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm

No, it was a one-time clone of the drive using software that is otherwise inactive. Perhaps it's because it's the Windows drive that's been cloned...(?)

I cloned it so I could boot from it should the original one fail. (Also, I always back up my audio files, but I've so many plugins, with settings, requiring registration, etc, that it would take so long to do install them all again if it failed.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby mooblie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Since you look like you manually choose when to make the clone, why don't you simply:

- double-check the contents of the Recycle Bin (to ensure there's nothing in it you want?), then
- empty the Recycle Bin, just before you
- make the clone?
mooblie
Regular
Martin at HeadSpin

Postby Elephone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 pm

mooblie wrote:Since you look like you manually choose when to make the clone, why don't you simply:

- double-check the contents of the Recycle Bin (to ensure there's nothing in it you want?), then
- empty the Recycle Bin, just before you
- make the clone?

It actually fills up in real time along with the Recycle Bin on original drive it was cloned from. I don't really understand it myself, but it does. Then, when I empty the Recycle Bin on my desktop, the notifications stop about the clone (K://) drive getting full, I see it's got many GB free again. I suppose it's looking at the genuine C:// drive Recycle Bin even though it's on K://.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby job » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Sounds like the clone is monitoring and reserving to me. You've checked settings i guess.

As a work around, you can hold shift when pressing the delete key on a file to permanently delete it and bypass the recyle bin.
job
Regular

Postby Elephone » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Is there any way to disable the drive after cloning... but have it available in the event of a Windows C:// drive failure during bootup?

(I don't think it is the Recycle Bin now. It's getting full again anyway, even though I'm emptying it. I've no idea what's going on then. I deleted stuff off the clone but now it's filling up again. What can be filling it up?)

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm

If you right-click on the recycle bin icon on your desktop and select properties it will tell you where the recycle bin currently resides, so you can check it's not your clone drive.

You may also need to check any back-up software you're running to make sure that's not continually backing up your C drive to your clone drive.

It shouldn't be necessary to disable the clone drive, but you can probably do that in the BIOS if you really want to...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Elephone » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks. I remember right clicking the recycle bin and it basically shows all the partitions of all 3 drives as places where the recycle bin is. So each drive doesn't show any extra space until I empty the recycle bin of contents that were on that drive.

I cloned the drive with very basic free software that just clones the drive and that's it. I don't think it updates the cloned drive. I don't see any processes running that could be associated with that program.

I'm wondering if it's storing the information about (indexing?) files or something, looking at something on the genuine C:// but not updating info about files when they are deleted. So maybe it's not actually full but believes itself to be full(?)
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 pm

I'd uninstall the utility you used and see what happens.
Which one did you use?
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)