You are here

ACPI.sys DPC latency on new Dell laptop - please help. I am depressed.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: ACPI.sys DPC latency on new Dell laptop - please help. I am depressed.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Is Latencymon unduly pessimistic/harsh?

I never had any trouble with this i3 HP laptop but LMon reports on bold red print that I should!
Main culprits seem to be ' i8043prt.sys' 7000mu secs and 'hard pagefault resolution time 3000mu secs.

I am also told to check my power settings, always been 'on maximum performance' and look for a BIOS update. Bit worried about doing the latter.

Running the old Sycon checker for a minute or so shows all is tickety, "ab max" latency 202mu secs.

Mind you, having run Latency mon several times over 2 days it seems a different thing every time is chewing my resources but 'pagefault' is a constant.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 pm

ef37a wrote:Is Latencymon unduly pessimistic/harsh?

I never had any trouble with this i3 HP laptop but LMon reports on bold red print that I should!
Main culprits seem to be ' i8043prt.sys' 7000mu secs and 'hard pagefault resolution time 3000mu secs.

I am also told to check my power settings, always been 'on maximum performance' and look for a BIOS update. Bit worried about doing the latter.

Running the old Sycon checker for a minute or so shows all is tickety, "ab max" latency 202mu secs.

Mind you, having run Latency mon several times over 2 days it seems a different thing every time is chewing my resources but 'pagefault' is a constant.

Dave.

If you don't have trouble, you dont have a problem :)

I haven't looked at LatencyMon's source code, but what it most likely does is that it collects data and then uses some rules of thumb to make a judgement, so while the data is correct, the recommendations are never authoritative. Perhaps if you let it run for a hour at a time.. but life's too short :)

The tool I use most is XPerf, you can record a kernel level trace with -DiagEasy (which includes DPC counts) and then you can see it with a nice graphical interface.

It's a Microsoft Kit so you simply google xperf and download the installer from MS, then you select the "performance kit" among the many...
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Windows Performance Tools (WPT) and Xpref is doing it properly, although the data there is more than enough to make the average users head spin.

Latency mon is good enough as a starting point if you have a problem... if you don't, don't worry about it.

Hard page fault test I tell everyone to ignore unless you've worked through every other line of tweaking and you still have an issue. It's not overly a concern for us guys, maybe the video editing side of things, but even then rarely all that important.

The i8043prt.sys looks to be the interrupt process for a PS/2 connector. If you don't have one being used, that's probably why you're not seeing an issue. Just cause it takes 7000us to get itself in the processing chain, it doesn't really matter I guess if your not sending data over it.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks Pete.

Err? It's a laptop, doesn't W7 KNOW there is no PS/2 connector or am I being silly?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 am

ef37a wrote:Err? It's a laptop, doesn't W7 KNOW there is no PS/2 connector or am I being silly?

Your guess is as good as mine to be honest, as I too have always wondered why it's a thing on laptops.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... rt--driver

Looking under the spec it lists support for legacy standards, so I'm wondering if by whatever method it hooks up to the mainboard is still considered a PS/2 connection in standard if not physical appearance. Or if it's kept running as some kind of an application & translation layer to handle USB connected devices.

Just a few guesses mind.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby IvanSC » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Desktop/tower/WHY in my studio & will always be for as long as I can still buy bits for it.

The limitations caused by using a laptop mean I would never use one for anything but lightweight stuff when I am travelling.
Maybe the OP should consider a desktop, too?
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby banterbanter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Just in case anyone it desperate for an update haha - the Dell laptop has gone back and the Asus has arrived and (with WiFi turned off) it's fine so far.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Gav
banterbanter
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 pm

:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:32 pm

A second :thumbup:

It really is a case of suck it and see nowdays with laptops :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby TECHNIK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:56 am

banterbanter wrote:Just in case anyone it desperate for an update haha - the Dell laptop has gone back and the Asus has arrived and (with WiFi turned off) it's fine so far.

Gav
Hey, I have Dell G5-5587 G515-7428 and my thoughts were the same as yours when I was going to buy it. But I've faced the same problems with ACPI.sys and Wdf01000.sys . . .

I've lost 2 weeks of my life trying to fix it :headbang: and my wife is already hates me)) But in the end I got some perfect result according to Latency mon. It shows no activity... not even green bars when ideling and 1-2 bars when being processing some medium heavy Live 10's suite demo project 48000\24 with 48 samples buffer. But to get there my laptop have lost all the functionality(even Hyper threading support) besides carriyng DAW and RME audiodriver.
So, for those who will get to this thread in the future I have to say: return this laptop back to store or prepare yourself to become Windows administrator and engineer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqas581sgnf59vc/IMG_0642.JPG?dl=0
TECHNIK

Postby treesarerising » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am

TECHNIK wrote:
banterbanter wrote:Just in case anyone it desperate for an update haha - the Dell laptop has gone back and the Asus has arrived and (with WiFi turned off) it's fine so far.

Gav
Hey, I have Dell G5-5587 G515-7428 and my thoughts were the same as yours when I was going to buy it. But I've faced the same problems with ACPI.sys and Wdf01000.sys . . .

I've lost 2 weeks of my life trying to fix it :headbang: and my wife is already hates me)) But in the end I got some perfect result according to Latency mon. It shows no activity... not even green bars when ideling and 1-2 bars when being processing some medium heavy Live 10's suite demo project 48000\24 with 48 samples buffer. But to get there my laptop have lost all the functionality(even Hyper threading support) besides carriyng DAW and RME audiodriver.
So, for those who will get to this thread in the future I have to say: return this laptop back to store or prepare yourself to become Windows administrator and engineer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqas581sgnf59vc/IMG_0642.JPG?dl=0

Hey,

I have the exact same model from Dell and I'm also experiencing high latency linked to ACPI.sys and Wdf01000.sys. I have tried a number of things, including a clean re-installation, experiencing with different driver, etc to no avail.

Would you be willing to share the steps you went through to solve the problem ?

Thanks

Thomas
treesarerising

Postby TECHNIK » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey, Thomas.

At first I suggest you to have 2 Windows systems on 2 SSDs. One for your DAW and one for the other things. ;)

As it was being said earlier by TS, you have to turn off every little mention of energy saving, both inner processor\MB settings in bios and Win 10's settings. Maximum perfomance, core parking 100%, turn off usb\network power saving in Device manager and in video adapters drivers bla bla bla please whatch it on You tube. Just google how to optimize Windows in terms of DAW using.

I also switched Hyper threading off because I am using 48 or 64 samples buffer, live optimized projects and it helped to increase CPU power and get rid of clicks and pops with those latencies. It might degrade perfomance in heavy projects with lots of plug-ins though I think. Did not check that.

I have deactivated Page file(do it on your own risk). Switched off all Microsoft background activity. Got rid of unused devices and services and background factory apps and Windows spy features, optimized disks, switched priority to background apps and so on and on

But the main thing: I switched off Intel 630 video in device manager and deleted driver of it in safe mode...

Next... I switched off all onboard devices including ethernet\wifi\camera\audio\630 video\printers\cardreader. I use usb Wi-Fi stick if I need internet. (You don't have to switch them all it is just my idiotic perfectionism).

I only left chipset driver, Intel Serial IO driver(touchpad isn't working full featured without it), and thunderbolt driver. In BIOS leave only main checkbox cheked in Thunderbolt section. After you delete Intel dynamic platform and thermal frame work driver you now are able to turn of ACPI battery in Batteries and get rid of ACPI.sys problem. Before uninstalling that driver, turning of that ACPI battery was not helpful.
!BUT! When you turn off ACPI-compliant Control method battery you loose your GTX1050 and it starts to act like mmm like basic video adapter from 90's. Now you get rid off Wdf01000.sys and dxgcrnl.sys and so on... and you are sitting next to your laptop and watching perfect Latencymon bars all night long.

But! there are some VST plug-ins that will appear black windowed after loosing gtx. I don't care because there are very little of them for me and I can change them with something else.

P.S: I don't remember the order of this checklist and I am not sure that you will need to proceed all the items of this list to get some good results.

Regards, Gregg.
TECHNIK

Previous