You are here

slight 02r96 problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

slight 02r96 problem

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Some time ago I acquired an 02r96, with a view to coming out of the bx, 24 faders yipee!

But I find when I switch the 02r96 on, it works fine except if I change any parameters quickly, for example if I spin the jog wheel quickly, the mixer 'freezes'

However, if I switch in on and leave it standing to warm up, say 15 mins or so, it's fine, everything is as normal.

Anyone with any ideas what this could be? Power supply maybe?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: slight 02r96 problem

Postby resistorman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 am

Interesting. The power supply would be my guess too, as it sounds like it needs some time to stabilize. On the other hand, have you tried a hard reset? Replaced the battery?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:21 pm

resistorman wrote:Interesting. The power supply would be my guess too, as it sounds like it needs some time to stabilize. On the other hand, have you tried a hard reset? Replaced the battery?

Yes have done a hard reset, and when I do the built battery check, it comes back with "I'm fine"

I am wondering whether some capacitators are flagging out, taking more time to hold charge, as it works no problem whatsoever once it has got a head of steam up
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby VTypeV4 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Not a '96 but when I had a supply fail in one of my original 02Rs, it was a bit 'twitchy' before it eventually died a few weeks later. It did a good job too, lots of things had to be replaced as when it went down, it took a number of the A/D convertors too - yours might be worth checking over as it wasn't a cheap fix. It's been rock solid since..
VTypeV4
Poster
Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:00 pm

VTypeV4 wrote:Not a '96 but when I had a supply fail in one of my original 02Rs, it was a bit 'twitchy' before it eventually died a few weeks later. It did a good job too, lots of things had to be replaced as when it went down, it took a number of the A/D convertors too - yours might be worth checking over as it wasn't a cheap fix. It's been rock solid since..

I think I'll sell it. It has had this problem for ages, doesn't seem to be getting any worse, just always needs 5 mins to warm up
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm

VTypeV4 wrote:Not a '96 but when I had a supply fail in one of my original 02Rs, it was a bit 'twitchy' before it eventually died a few weeks later. It did a good job too, lots of things had to be replaced as when it went down, it took a number of the A/D convertors too - yours might be worth checking over as it wasn't a cheap fix. It's been rock solid since..

They were prone to it, I had a couple too. First of all channel 1 turned to white noise and then over a few months it spread to other channels. I sent it back to Yamaha for a service (not cheap, but fair) and the PSU decided to die between leaving their office and arriving at my home.

On the plus side, it was then fixed gratis under the 30 warranty supplied after switching out the A/D chips. Also worked fine for as long as I had it afterwards.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Sounds to me like a clock that is slightly off frequency and once up to temperature the PLL 'locks in' ?

Like yer old telly with the field hold on the limit and you just leave it on and it locks eventually because you can't be arsed to diagnose the fault!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 pm

OneWorld wrote:

I think I'll sell it. It has had this problem for ages, doesn't seem to be getting any worse, just always needs 5 mins to warm up

If you do consider that - PM me..
VTypeV4
Poster
Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

ef37a wrote:Sounds to me like a clock that is slightly off frequency and once up to temperature the PLL 'locks in' ?

Like yer old telly with the field hold on the limit and you just leave it on and it locks eventually because you can't be arsed to diagnose the fault!

Dave.

Thanks, could you tell me exactly what you do with your ar*e when you're diagnosing a fault?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:46 am

VTypeV4 wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

If you do consider that - PM me..

I tried to PM you but I can't fathom how to send a PM. I clicked the PM icon and typed in the text but cannot find a 'send' button, could you PM me please?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 am

Pete Kaine wrote:They were prone to it, I had a couple too. First of all channel 1 turned to white noise and then over a few months it spread to other channels. I sent it back to Yamaha for a service (not cheap, but fair) and the PSU decided to die between leaving their office and arriving at my home.

Coincidentally, I had an 01v6 before this and channel 1 went down, but only on the analogue side.

If I patched ADAT 1 to Channel 1 (instead of using CH1 line/mic) it was fine and stayed that way for years, no other problem presented itself, it always worked flawlessy, as per usual for Yammy equipment.

That being said I loaned it out to a pal of mine and it was fine before that, it came back with CH1 line/mic not working but of course my pal said "not me guv" so my suspicions lay with the user not the technology
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:23 pm

OneWorld wrote:I tried to PM you but I can't fathom how to send a PM. I clicked the PM icon and typed in the text but cannot find a 'send' button, could you PM me please?

It's a 'feature' of this forum, click the envelope below someone's name, then SCROLL DOWN... what looks like the content box is actually just the first box that allows you to add additional recipients.
Further down is the actual content box with the standard red 'submit' button below it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...