You are here

Best shopfloor for music tech in USA? Plus alternatives to computers for sequencing

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best shopfloor for music tech in USA? Plus alternatives to computers for sequencing

Postby flatstanley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 am

Hi guys

I’m currently in the USA. NAMM is long over so I guess that’s not going to be possible, so I’m looking for the biggest store or demo area of music tech in the USA, everything from sequencers to software to synths, most interested in portable music production stations of all stripes and what’s new or even old in that area. For the latter would be a great boon to have highly competent people demonstrate the possibilities. Do want to buy something but happy to just have stuff demo’d if necessary. Would like to have as much stuff all under one roof to compare. I can travel anywhere in the States so will be most grateful for any and all recommendations. Can also travel to multiple places and not fussed with the distance apart. (My focus for this query is purely the tech side of things, I do have an interest in acoustic instruments but know where to go for that sort of thing, and so just want to focus on the tech side atm).

Will be here till end of September so if any demo events going on would be interested to know too.

A bit more detail re what I’m looking for: I got on okay with Logic and types, but never really found the interface totally intuitive and crave a more physical hands on sort of thing, haven’t done much research into what’s new for about 7 or 8 years now so if you can point me to some things I might’ve missed. Found MPCs a bit undercomplicated and things like the motif I felt like I needed a bigger more complicated screen. But definitely willing to lose some of the possibilities of computers in order to simplify things. Perhaps there is a simple and obvious solution I’ve not thought of.
(Instead of buying things off the internet thought it would be nice this time to see them all in action side by side you see, hence query.)

Thanks so much for any replies
flatstanley
Poster

Re: Best shopfloor for music tech in USA? Plus alternatives to computers for sequencing

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Sweetwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Best shopfloor for music tech in USA? Plus alternatives to computers for sequencing

Postby resistorman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:45 am

Forum Admin wrote:Sweetwater?

I second the motion!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby flatstanley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 am

Thank you I will look into going there. I had a look on the website though and all their solutions look like the usual ones, sort of the usual configurations or reconfiguring of existing things.

Re my q about a music production station. I remember seeing something in SoS, in the last 3 or 4 years I think, a keyboard with a computer screen attached, all integrated together in one unit, but more computer than keyboard if you see what I mean. Screen was a good size monitor, at least 12” across I think, and it might’ve folded down but I could be wrong there. Does anyone remember what this was? Or can suggest something like this?

Finally if it’s not too silly a question. I’ve always wondered about protools. Is it really for people that want to record audio nicely, or is it for people to mess around in like you’d do in logic with your software instruments? Is it ‘better’ than the latter/offers more possibilities?

Ta.
flatstanley
Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 am

flatstanley wrote:Re my q about a music production station. I remember seeing something in SoS, in the last 3 or 4 years I think, a keyboard with a computer screen attached, all integrated together in one unit, but more computer than keyboard if you see what I mean. Screen was a good size monitor, at least 12” across I think, and it might’ve folded down but I could be wrong there. Does anyone remember what this was? Or can suggest something like this?

You thinking of Open Labs perhaps?
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/open-labs-open-synth-neko-64
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby flatstanley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:20 pm

No thanks for the suggestion but it was like really quite a small keyboard with a largeish monitor. Possibly the monitor folded into the unit. Also I have a feeling it was released in the past five years or so. But I am grateful for the suggestion of the Neko and welcome any similar such suggestions, as I will look into any and all possibilities.
flatstanley
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:31 pm

flatstanley wrote:Finally if it’s not too silly a question. I’ve always wondered about protools. Is it really for people that want to record audio nicely, or is it for people to mess around in like you’d do in logic with your software instruments? Is it ‘better’ than the latter/offers more possibilities?

It is just another DAW - they happened to be one of the first in the market in the mid 90's so it gained a stronghold in studios but nowadays it is just one of many alternatives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:20 pm

flatstanley wrote:No thanks for the suggestion but it was like really quite a small keyboard with a largeish monitor. Possibly the monitor folded into the unit. Also I have a feeling it was released in the past five years or so. But I am grateful for the suggestion of the Neko and welcome any similar such suggestions, as I will look into any and all possibilities.

I think Audiolabs have discontinued all their hardware stuff, but they did a smaller one with mini keys, called the Miko:

Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons